Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China, Africa working together to defeat COVID-19 in Africa Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- China is ready to work with Ghana and other African countries to win the war against COVID-19, the Chinese embassy in Ghana said here Tuesday.
- China's top expert says COVID-19 will not be less infectious in summer Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- China's top respiratory scientist Zhong Nanshan warned the public on Monday to maintain vigilance over the risk of contracting COVID-19 especially in the summer, saying it's naïve to think the coronavirus is less contagious in warm temperature, as shown by the sporadic cluster cases which have recently occurred in the country.
- China's medical team to aid COVID-19 fight in South Sudan, Guinea People's Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- A medical team departed from east China's Anhui Province to aid the anti-epidemic fight in South Sudan and the Republic of Guinea early Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Tuesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese Boats Return to S. China Sea as Beijing's Fishing Ban Ends Radio Free Asia 19 Aug 2020 -- Chinese fishing vessels are pouring back into disputed waters after China ended its annual summer fishing ban in the South and East China Seas, satellite imagery shows, which could heighten tension in the region as fishing fleets compete for declining fish stocks.
- PLA sends stern warning to US warship for transit in Taiwan Straits Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command said Wednesday it sent naval and air forces to track and monitor the movements of the USS Mustin destroyer as it sailed through the Taiwan Straits on Tuesday and warned the US against making frequent negative moves on the Taiwan question.
- US move seriously undermines peace in Taiwan Strait: Spokesman PLA Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- The US Navy guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin sailed through the Taiwan Strait on August 18, which was tracked and monitored by the naval and aerial forces under the Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command (ETC) for the entire course, said Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhui, spokesman for the PLA ETC , in a written statement published on Wednesday.
- Taiwan to Ban Chinese Media Apps Over Security Concerns Radio Free Asia 19 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Taiwan are set to fully ban Chinese streaming platforms iQiyi and Tencent from operating on the democratic island, removing a final loophole that had routed their content via Hong Kong-listed partner companies.
- Ninety-sixth joint patrol on Mekong River kicks off Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- Law-enforcement authorities from China, Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand joined forces on Tuesday for the start of the 96th Mekong River joint patrol.
- PLA Western Theatre Command deploys troops for flood rescue in west China PLA Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- Over the past few days, China's western and southwestern areas including Sichuan, Chongqing, Gansu and Shaanxi have seen frequent heavy rains and floods. In response to the urgent disaster relief situation in many places, the PLA Western Theatre Command and the local provincial governments, based on the principles of deploying troops as quickly and reasonably as possible, dispatched a commanding team to the disaster relief area to coordinate the disaster relief operations.
- Photo: Chinese Submarine Spotted Entering Hidden Cave Base Sputnik 19 Aug 2020 -- A recent satellite photo managed to capture a Chinese submarine entering a cave base on Hainan Island, at the northern end of the South China Sea.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 19, 2020 PRC MofA 19 Aug 2020
- Pompeo's Success in Prague Seen as Warning Sign for Beijing VOA 19 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's warm reception in Prague last week reflects welcomed U.S. investment in the country and shared democratic values. Shortcomings in both areas, meanwhile, are seen as contributing to the decline of a once-promising relationship between Prague and Beijing.
- Australian Relations With China Deteriorate As Beijing Probes Wine Imports VOA 19 Aug 2020 -- China has launched an anti-dumping investigation into Australian wine imports, as trade tensions between Beijing and Canberra continue to fester.
- National security law helps Hong Kong integrate into national development: commissioner of Chinese foreign ministry in HKSAR People's Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- The law plugs national security loopholes in Hong Kong, and Hong Kong will be able to focus on developing the economy, improving people's livelihood and further integrating into national development, providing global investors with a safer, stabler and more predictable business environment and brighter prospects for cooperation.
- Hong Kong Erases Banned Political Groups From School Teaching Materials Radio Free Asia 19 Aug 2020 -- Educational publishers in Hong Kong have begun erasing references to banned political groups and inserting positive references to the ruling Chinese Communist Party, as authorities there begin rolling out "patriotic education" in the city's schools.
- Suspension or Termination of Three Bilateral Agreements With Hong Kong US Dept. of State 19 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Communist Party has taken drastic steps to erode the high degree of autonomy that Beijing itself promised to the United Kingdom and the people of Hong Kong for 50 years under the UN-registered Sino-British Joint Declaration.
- Splits Emerge Among Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Parties Over Boycott Pledge VOA 19 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong's pan-democratic lawmakers are debating whether they should accept the government's offer to extend their terms by a year, following an announcement that the upcoming Legislative Council elections would be delayed because of COVID-19 concerns.
- Nation shifts to targeted monetary policy People's Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- China has suspended its large-scale monetary easing, as the economy is recovering, and shifted to innovative monetary measures to channel funds into weak sectors in a more targeted way, while guarding against financial risks, policy analysts said on Tuesday.
- China deals with 64,000 of corruption involving mafia-like groups: law enforcement agency Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- China has stepped up its efforts to protect people's security and maintain social stability by eliminating the country's mafia-like organizations and "protective umbrellas" that shelter criminal gangs, a news conference stated on Wednesday in Beijing.
- China crushes over 3,000 groups of gang crimes in targeted campaign People's Daily 19 Aug 2020 -- Police in China have busted 3,291 groups involved in gang-related crimes since the launch of a targeted campaign in 2018, the national office against organized crime said Wednesday.
- China respects Belarus's development path, opposes external forces creating divisions: Chinese FM Global Times 19 Aug 2020 -- China does not want to see chaos in Belarus and opposes outside forces creating divisions and instability in the country, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list