Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Pakistan Approves Phase III Human Trials Of Experimental Chinese Coronavirus Vaccine RFE/RL 18 Aug 2020 -- Pakistani regulators have approved final-phase testing of a Chinese-developed potential vaccine against the coronavirus.
- COVID-19 vaccine ready by December, two shots to cost less than $144: Sinopharm chief Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- Inactivated COVID-19 vaccine candidates developed by a Chinese pharmaceutical company are likely to be on the market by the end of December, at a price of less than 1,000 yuan ($144) for two shots.
- China's top expert says COVID-19 will not be less infectious in summer Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- China's top respiratory scientist Zhong Nanshan warned the public on Monday to maintain vigilance over the risk of contracting COVID-19 especially in the summer, saying it's naïve to think the coronavirus is less contagious in warm temperature, as shown by the sporadic cluster cases which have recently occurred in the country.
- Lockdown remains in Xinjiang's capital despite no confirmed COVID-19 cases for 2 days Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- Thirty-three days after Urumqi, the capital city of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, reported its first COVID-19 patient in a fresh wave of the outbreak, the city is seeing signs of the outbreak easing, as zero confirmed infections were reported for the second consecutive day on Monday.
- China's first patent granted for COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- China's first patent for a COVID-19 vaccine has been granted by the National Intellectual Property Administration.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- 90 Chinese workers catch COVID-19 in Israel: Chinese embassy Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese embassy in Israel warned local Chinese against the risk of COVID-19 on Tuesday, after around 90 people were confirmed coronavirus positive at a Chinese construction worker residential community in Petah Tikwa, Israel.
- China plays major role in Latin America amid COVID-19: report People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- China has played a major role in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, said a recent CNN report.
- China donates masks, COVID-19 preventive posters for Sri Lanka's public buses People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese embassy in Sri Lanka has donated face masks and COVID-19 prevention posters for public buses belonging to the Sri Lanka Transport Board (SLTB) amidst a pandemic which has so far infected over 2,800 people in the island country, a statement from the embassy said Tuesday.
- China, Syria highlight cooperation against COVID-19 People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- Chinese Ambassador to Syria Feng Biao discussed medical cooperation against COVID-19 pandemic with Syrian Health Minister Nizar Yazigi in the capital Damascus on Monday.
- Taiwan island sets up office in Somaliland, shows desperate separatist attempts: FM Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- China opposes the establishment of official institutions or official exchanges between the island of Taiwan and Somaliland, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said, after Taiwan set up a representative office in the self-claimed state in Africa.
- Media should not over-interpret J-20 sighting near China-India border: experts Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- For the first time since the China-India border conflict in May, two J-20 stealth fighter jets of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force were spotted at an airport about 300 kilometers from the border region, foreign media reported.
- China urges global arms sales ban to non-state actors Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- China called on countries to refrain from selling arms to non-state actors and stop interfering in the internal affairs of sovereign countries through arms sales, at the sixth Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), which was convened on Monday.
- China joins ATT conference as a state party for the first time PLA Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday attended the Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) as a state party for the first time and called for strict arms control mechanisms in a written statement submitted to the meeting.
- Photos: PLA Warships Engage in Live-Fire Drills in South China Sea as US Carrier Launches Aircraft Sputnik 18 Aug 2020 -- US and Chinese warships both conducted drills in the South China Sea over the weekend, with a corvette from the Hong Kong garrison engaging in live-fire target practice while a US aircraft carrier carried out flight operations.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 18, 2020 PRC MofA 18 Aug 2020
- China censures US 'abuse of national power' in harassing Huawei Press TV 18 Aug 2020 -- China has censured the new sanctions imposed by the United States against Chinese telecom giant Huawei and accused Washington of "abusing national power" to target Chinese companies.
- New US rules against Huawei draw backlash Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- The US government's latest crackdown on chip supplies for Huawei Technologies Co sparked widespread backlash from Chinese officials and industry leaders on Tuesday, underscoring the force of mounting opposition against an increasingly erratic US administration whose reckless words and deeds could cause deep disruptions and losses for global industries and commerce.
- HK officials more 'politically mature, determined' in face of foreign sanctions Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government officials have shown growing political maturity, more resilience and a firm stand in response to escalating personal attacks and political and financial pressure from Western countries and local extreme forces, since the implementation of the national security law for Hong Kong, analysts said.
- Revised HK textbooks correct political misconceptions, stress Chinese identity Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong's education bureau confirmed to the Global Times on Tuesday that it has sent advice to a number of publishers that had voluntarily submitted their liberal studies textbooks to the education regulator for consultancy, and the corresponding revisions have been made by the middle of August.
- Hong Kong civil servants must be loyal to regional government: Chief Executive Global Times 18 Aug 2020 -- Civil servants in Hong Kong have to be loyal to the regional government, said Carrie Lam, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, at a press conference Tuesday morning when asked whether local civil servants in their probationary period would be fired if they take part in illegal gatherings.
- Hong Kong to launch 3rd round of relief measures for virus-hit economy People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong will roll out the third round of relief measures to mitigate impacts of the continued COVID-19 epidemic on the economy.
- Hong Kong leader: US sanctions no more than a personal inconvenience Press TV 18 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam says she is not upset about the sanctions imposed by the United States against her, vowing to continue to do what is right for the semi-autonomous Chinese city.
- Expelled Chinese Communist Party Insider Details Internal Tensions in VOA Interview VOA 18 Aug 2020 -- A recently expelled Chinese Communist Party insider is speaking out about increasing tensions among high-level officials at a time when Xi Jinping's hardline policies are bringing Beijing into more conflict with democratic countries.
- China Communist Party Expels, Strips Pension of Professor-Turned-Critic Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2020 -- China's Communist Party has expelled an outspoken retired professor from the party's top training academy and stripped her pension over a series of speeches she made criticizing the country's direction under leader Xi Jinping.
- Interview: 'You Can Criticize The CCP, But You Must Not Criticize Xi Jinping' Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2020 -- Cai Xia, a retired professor of the Central Party School of the Chinese Communist Party, following recent public criticism of CCP chief Xi Jinping, was expelled from the Chinese Communist Party with her pension stripped on August 17 for "serious violations of political discipline of the Party." Widely known as one of the "Hereditary [Second Generation] Red," descendants of founding members or important figures of the CCP, Cai Xia told RFA that she has no intention to remain on board with the current CCP leadership and is happy to be back with the ranks of the people.
- Jailed WeChat User Says Chinese Police Monitor Overseas Accounts Too Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in the eastern province of Shandong detained a user of the social media platform WeChat after he sent content to a friend in the United States, providing fresh evidence that the ruling Chinese Communist Party is monitoring communications with WeChat users.
- Chinese Publisher Removes Burke's French Revolution Book From Shelves Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2020 -- A publishing house in China has withdrawn a series of overseas nonfiction books including Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France, in the latest incidence of sweeping book censorship by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
- Flooding at Home, Tensions Abroad Raise Concern for China's Food Security VOA 18 Aug 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged his country to take immediate actions to curb what he called its "shocking and distressing" food waste problem as the worst flooding along the Yangtze River in years threatens the country's important rice crop.
- Police in Istanbul Detain Uyghurs in Rare Instance of Harassment by Turkish Authorities Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Turkey's financial capital Istanbul harassed and briefly detained a group of Uyghurs who gathered on the city's iconic Taksim Square wearing T-shirts with images of missing relatives back home in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), group members said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list