Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- HK recruits 2,000 people to assist in mass COVID-19 testing Global Times 17 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong is recruiting some 2,000 people with medical knowledge to help with the mass testing for the novel coronavirus which will start on August 31 and last for two weeks, with virologists emphasizing that testing kits should be optimized to be suitable for various strains of the virus, given Hong Kong's active international interaction that has caused the city's complex epidemic situation.
- China approves patent to COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 17 Aug 2020 -- China has granted its first COVID-19 vaccine patent to the adenovirus vector vaccine developed by Chen Wei of the Academy of Military Medical Sciences and Chinese biotech company CanSino Biologics, according to the National Intellectual Property Administration.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Aug 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Sunday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- 28 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 17 Aug 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Monday that 28 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Sunday.
- Southern Chinese cities conduct large-scale COVID-19 testing after new case reported People's Daily 17 Aug 2020 -- More than 120,000 samples for nucleic acid tests of COVID-19 had been collected by Sunday morning in the cities of Shanwei and Shenzhen of south China's Guangdong Province after a new confirmed case emerged earlier this week, local authorities said Sunday.
- 'Simulated enemy' helps PLA drill for real combat capability Global Times 17 Aug 2020 -- US forces are increasing intelligence gathering of the military deployment of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) around potential battlefields, Chinese mainland military experts said on Monday, after Taiwan media reported a US B-1B bomber flied near the island on Sunday. Experts said that the Chinese military should also be prepared for a potential conflict.
- PLA HK Garrison conducts multi-subject maritime military training in S.China Sea Global Times 17 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Sunday posted a video clip on social media showing their Type 056 Huizhou corvette carried out multi-subject maritime military drills in the South China Sea.
- Photos: China Unveils New 'Airfield Killer' Smart Glide Bomb Sputnik 17 Aug 2020 -- A report by China Central Television (CCTV) has revealed a new glide bomb similar to the US' Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW) that is being touted as a munition that can "effectively paralyze an airfield in one shot."
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 17, 2020 PRC MofA 17 Aug 2020
- No Chinese journalist has received reply for their US visa extension: Chinese FM Global Times 17 Aug 2020 -- Chinese journalists have long submitted their visa extension applications to the US government, but no one has received any clear reply, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at Monday's media briefing.
- China accuses US of using 'digital gunboat diplomacy' after Trump orders TikTok to divest ops Press TV 17 Aug 2020 -- China has censured the United States for using "digital gunboat diplomacy" after US President Donald Trump issued an executive order extending an ultimatum forcing the popular Chinese-based company TikTok to divest its business operations in the country.
- The United States Further Restricts Huawei Access to U.S. Technology US Dept. of State 17 Aug 2020 -- The Trump Administration sees Huawei for what it is - an arm of the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP's) surveillance state - and we have taken action accordingly. Today, our government enacted several measures to protect U.S. national security, our citizens' privacy, and the integrity of our 5G infrastructure from Beijing's malign influence.
- Xinjiang Hospitals Aborted, Killed Babies Outside Family Planning Limits: Uyghur Obstetrician Radio Free Asia 17 Aug 2020 -- Hospitals in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) were forced to abort and kill babies born in excess of family planning limits or who were in utero less than three years after the mother's previous birth, according to a Uyghur obstetrician and other sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list