Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese Police Have Filmed Dozens of Forced Confessions, Often After Torture: Report Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2020 -- State media organizations and Chinese state security police have produced dozens of televised forced "confessions" in the years since ruling Chinese Communist Party general secretary Xi Jinping took power, often involving severe duress and torture, according to a recent submission to the United Nations.
- Repeated nucleic acid tests on Urumqi residents to single out high-proportion silent carriers Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- Urumqi, capital city of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, re-mains on high alert against COVID-19 and is giving repeated nucleic acid tests to people at high risk of infection, although the number of cases in the city is showing a downward trend.
- Urumqi not letting down guard against COVID-19, despite downward trend in case numbers Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- Urumqi, the capital city of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, remains on high alert against COVID-19 and is giving repeated nucleic acid tests to people at high risk of infection, despite the number of cases in the city showing a downward trend.
- 68-year-old woman tests positive 6 months after recovering from COVID-19 Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- A 68-year-old woman in Jingzhou, Central China's Hubei Province, tested positive for COVID-19, after she recovered and was discharged from a local hospital as early as February.
- Xi signs order awarding 4 persons for outstanding contribution in COVID-19 fight People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- BEIJING, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday signed a presidential order awarding four persons the national medal and honorary title for their outstanding contribution to fighting the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Chinese mainland reports 16 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 16 new imported COVID-19 cases Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,216, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- 58 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Wednesday that 58 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 25 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday that it received reports of 25 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, including 16 imported cases and nine locally-transmitted ones.
- Changmenyan Island in China's Yellow Sea ends 58-year power shortage PLA Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- At the end of July, as a worker from the Jimo branch of State Grid Shandong Electric Power Company pushed the switch, the 0.25-square-kilometers Changmenyan Island, lying marginally deep in China's Yellow Sea, was eventually connected to the power grid, which ended its 58-year-long history of no continuous electricity and improved greatly the living conditions of the stationed troops.
- Photo: Beijing Reportedly Deploys H-6J Bomber to South China Sea's Woody Island Sputnik 12 Aug 2020 -- A photo circulating on Chinese social media seems to show one of China's most advanced bombers, the H-6J, on the airfield on tiny Woody Island, a growing Chinese settlement in the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea.
- 'Those who play with fire will get burnt:' China warns US against Taiwan ties Press TV 12 Aug 2020 -- China has warned the United States against any official ties with Taiwan, as a high-level US official visits the self-ruled island.
- PLA holds anti-aircraft drills amid frequent US reconnaissance sorties Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently held a series of anti-aircraft drills off the South China Sea, a sensitive location to which the US has been frequently sending warplanes for close-up reconnaissance.
- US Top Diplomat Warns of China's Global Threat VOA 12 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday that China's economic power is in some ways a greater global threat than the Soviet Union was during the Cold War.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 12, 2020 PRC MofA 12 Aug 2020
- For the first time, foreign ministry ceases summer adjournment as China's voice must be heard amid US smearing Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- In response to a question on why Chinese Foreign Ministry will not take a "regular" summer press conference adjournment this year, spokesperson Zhao Lijian said anyone on Earth knows the reason. Echoing with Zhao's remarks, Chinese netizens joked the question should be asked to US President Donald Trump as he and US politicians are busy cueing China almost every day.
- Tsai condemns Hong Kong arrests of activists, urges dialogue CNA 12 Aug 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Wednesday condemned the arrest of democracy activists in Hong Kong, including Next Digital media group founder Jimmy Lai (黎智英), saying that such attempts to obstruct the will of the people will not succeed.
- LegCo should focus on fighting virus, considering natl security legislation in 1 year extension: experts Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government has allowed all lawmakers of the current Legislative Council to their extended terms, which means incumbent lawmakers disqualified from the next election will stay in the city's legislature until at least September 2021, analysts and politicians said on Thursday.
- Jimmy Lai bailed out, 'not released': sources Global Times 12 Aug 2020 -- Granting Jimmy Lai conditional bail does not mean the founder of Apple Daily is now free, and the possibility that the central government's office for safeguarding national security will oversee and provide guidance in the case can't be ruled out, a police source and legal experts told the Global Times on Wednesday.
- China's top legislature resolves HKSAR LegCo vacancy concern People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- Chinese lawmakers on Tuesday voted to adopt a decision for the sixth Legislative Council (LegCo) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to continue performing duties.
- Hong Kong's Apple Daily Braces For More Raids Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong released pro-democracy activist Agnes Chow and media tycoon Jimmy Lai late on Tuesday on bail, pending charges of "collusion with foreign powers" under a draconian national security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
- Hong Kong Media Tycoon's Arrest Sparks Fear of Press Freedom Demise VOA 12 Aug 2020 -- The arrest of pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai and the high-profile police raid on the Apple Daily newspaper this week has stoked widespread fears of the end of Hong Kong as a flourishing city where information and opinions were freely aired.
- Any attempt that challenges "one-China principle" is doomed to fail People's Daily 12 Aug 2020 -- Alex Azar, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, arrived in Taiwan on August 9 and began a 3-day-long visit. Such a move of the U.S. is a serious breach of its commitments pledged on the Taiwan question.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list