Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese expert team helps Azerbaijan fight COVID-19: FM Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The work being done by a group of Chinese medical experts aiding Azerbaijan in its fight against COVID-19 has been warmly welcomed and highly praised by the Azerbaijani government and people, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian at Tuesday's media briefing.
- Macao quarantine requirement lifted Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The State Department announced on Monday it would lift the 14-day quarantine measures for Macao residents when entering the Chinese mainland, effective from Wednesday.
- Travelers with COVID-19 negative report allowed to enter Chinese mainland from Macao without quarantine People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- Travelers with a COVID-19 negative test report within seven days will be allowed to enter the Chinese mainland from Macao without a 14-day quarantine since Wednesday, the secretary for social affairs and culture of China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) said on Monday.
- 52 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Tuesday that 52 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 44 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that it received reports of 44 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including 31 imported cases and 13 locally-transmitted ones.
- Taiwan Plans to Shift Medical Supply Chain Away from China VOA 11 Aug 2020 -- The United States and Taiwan are making a public show of strengthening ties this week, signing a memorandum of understanding to improve cooperation in public health as part of a high-level U.S. visit to the island.
- China's anger over Azar's Taiwan visit reflects 'weakness': Pompeo CNA 11 Aug 2020 -- United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday said the mere fact China can get so worked up over an American official's visit to Taiwan only goes to reflect its "weakness."
- Taiwan official attacks China during US health secretary's provocative visit Press TV 11 Aug 2020 -- Taiwan's foreign minister says China seeks to turn the self-ruled island into "the next Hong Kong," amid a provocative visit by a high-level US official to the region.
- China, Russia Not Likely To Compromise On Extension Of Iran Arms Embargo Radio Farda 11 Aug 2020 -- The efforts of three European powers to convince China and Russia to agree to an extension of the UN arms embargo against Iran have reportedly not succeeded so far as the U.N. Security Council prepares to vote on a U.S. resolution to extend the embargo.
- High-mobility howitzers, anti-tank missiles make plateau debut Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently held live-fire drills in a high-elevation region in the Himalayas, where some of the PLA's latest weapons, including a new 122-millimeter caliber wheeled howitzer and the vehicle-mounted version of the HJ-10 anti-tank missile system, made their first public appearances.
- Chinese PLA Navy completes 2020 pilot cadet recruitment PLA Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Navy has recently completed its annual pilot cadet recruitment in 2020. A total of more than 16,000 students actively participated in the recruitment, and lots of outstanding talents with carrier-based aircraft flight potential came to the fore after multiple rounds of selection.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 11, 2020 PRC MofA 11 Aug 2020
- China sanctions 11 U.S. officials with egregious records on Hong Kong affairs People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday announced sanctions against 11 U.S. officials with egregious records on Hong Kong affairs, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian at a press briefing.
- US Officials Sanctioned by China Denounce Measures as Distraction VOA 11 Aug 2020 -- The 11 U.S. lawmakers and nonprofit leaders sanctioned Monday by China are speaking out, with one spokesperson characterizing the new measures as "not credible" and others as an attempt to "distract" from China's crackdown in Hong Kong.
- Chinese people "very much shocked" by U.S. hostile moves: Chinese ambassador People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- The United States has to be aware that there is "a rising anger" among the Chinese public over Washington's hostile moves against China, Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai has said.
- Hong Kong's Embattled Apple Daily Vows to Keep Up Fight For Freedom Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2020 -- A pro-democracy newspaper raided by Hong Kong's newly established national security police pledged defiance on Tuesday in the face of a growing crackdown on dissent in the city as its founder Jimmy Lai was questioned by police following his arrest for "fraud" and "colluding with foreign powers."
- From 'Made in HK' to 'Made in China' Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- Imports from Hong Kong to the US will be labeled "Made in China" instead of "Made in Hong Kong" from September 25, according to a notice published on Tuesday by the US Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security.
- Fate of disqualified lawmakers to be decided by HK govt as NPC extends LegCo for 1 year Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to extend the sixth Hong Kong Legislative Council (LegCo) lawmakers' terms of office by at least one year until the new LegCo begins, in case the coronavirus outbreak remains uncontained within one year.
- Liaison office of China's central gov't in HKSAR voices support for counter-measure against so-called U.S. sanctions People's Daily 11 Aug 2020 -- The Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) voiced strong support on Monday for the counter-measure against the United States by the Chinese foreign ministry.
- Seeing Jimmy Lai as 'freedom fighter' is naïve thinking, fails to listen to true voice of HKers Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- Attempts in the West to picture Jimmy Lai and his infamous Apple Daily as the spiritual leader of the so-called free press are naïve, as Lai is not even accepted by Hong Kong residents, who only see him as a "modern traitor" rather than a "freedom fighter."
- Media, online groups, foreign interference 'top anti-China forces' Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- Experts said that those who threaten Hong Kong's security and stability will finally pay a price after the enactment of the national security law for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). Media tycoon and riot supporter Jimmy Lai won't be the last one, especially when it comes to lawbreakers who incite violence and smear the government through propaganda photos and videos that are full of lies.
- China's top legislature extends HK LegCo for at least one year Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The National People's Congress Standing Committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to extend the sixth Legislative Council (LegCo) lawmakers' term of office by at least one year until the term of office of the new LegCo begins, in case the coronavirus outbreak could not be fully contained within one year, an NPC standing committee member said on Tuesday.
- Five Eyes Alliance distorts facts on postponement of LegCo election: HKSAR Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The Five Eyes Alliance has made deliberate misrepresentations and told falsehoods, marked by brazen contempt for facts regarding the postponement of the Legislative Council General Election (LegCo election) due to the severe epidemic situation, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government said in a statement on Monday, slamming the alliance for adopting double standards and hypocrisy.
- HKPF reveals details of Lai's case, shows evidence of collusion with foreign forces Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) revealed more details late Monday night around the latest arrests of local secessionist leaders, including major figures Jimmy Lai and Agnes Chow, for their violation of the national security law for Hong Kong, indicating how they colluded with foreign forces to bring sanctions against the city.
- Secessionist leader Agnes Chow arrested under national security law for HK Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- Pro-secession Hong Kong riot leader Agnes Chow Ting was arrested for violating the national security law for Hong Kong on Monday, the same day Hong Kong police conducted operations and arrested Jimmy Lai, the secessionist media tycoon.
- Two more arrested in HK over suspicion of colluding with foreign forces Global Times 11 Aug 2020 -- Following the arrest of Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, key anti-government figure and founder of secessionist Apple Daily tabloid, the Hong Kong Police Force has taken into custody secessionists Wilson Li and Andy Li on Monday for promoting so-called "Stand with Hong Kong" slogan in instigating secessionism.
- Two of Three Mosques in Xinjiang Village Razed Amid Campaign Targeting Muslim Holy Sites Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Atush (in Chinese, Atushi) city, in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), have razed two of three mosques in the village of Suntagh, according to a local security officer, amid a campaign that has seen thousands of Muslim holy sites destroyed in recent years.
- Faith Leaders Push For International Action on China's Abuses of Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2020 -- Senior Catholic clergy from Southeast Asia have joined British religious leaders in a global call for an investigation and accountability for China's mass detention of Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
- WeChat 'Extends China's Internet' to Wherever Users Are in The World Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2020 -- Concerns are growing over overseas censorship and surveillance via Tencent's WeChat social media app, with the U.S. banning business with its parent entity, and rights activists describing it as a "prison" that keeps users within reach of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s censors and law enforcement operations far beyond China's borders.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list