Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Bubonic Plague Kills 2 in Inner Mongolia, Forces Chinese Officials to Close Off Area Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in a city in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia have issued a warning after a patient in the Suji Xincun village recently died from the bubonic plague, the region's second such fatality in August.
- Chinese civil aviation regulator suspends relevant flights to curb imported COVID-19 in Shanghai Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese civil aviation regulator has suspended relevant international flights and authorities in Shanghai will further strengthen closed-loop management as there have recently been increasing imported cases of COVID-19 on some inbound flights to Shanghai, the local authorities announced on Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 49 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 49 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including 35 imported cases and 14 locally-transmitted ones.
- China has never intervened in a US election: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China has no interest and has never intervened in a US election, which is an internal affair of the US, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at Monday's media briefing.
- Taiwan Air Force 'Drove Out' Chinese Fighter Jets From Its Airspace, Defence Ministry Says Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The incident took place the day after US Health Secretary Alex Azar arrived on the island. Azar has become the highest-ranking American official to visit Taiwan since the United States cut official ties with the island in 1979.
- Chinese fighter jets briefly cross median line in the Taiwan Strait CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Two Chinese warplanes briefly crossed the Taiwan Strait median line Monday morning into the Taiwan half of the waterway, according to Air Force Headquarters.
- Presidential Office condemns Beijing for Chinese jet intrusion CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- The Presidential Office on Monday condemned Beijing for its latest provocative military act targeting Taipei after two Chinese warplanes briefly crossed the Taiwan Strait median line earlier in the day.
- PLA fighter jets cross 'middle line' of Taiwan Straits an hour before US official's meeting with Tsai Ing-wen Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- Fighter jets from Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force reportedly crossed the "middle line" of the Taiwan Straits at around 9 am Monday morning, an hour before top US health official met with Taiwan regional leader Tsai Ing-wen.
- China lodges solemn representations with US over Azar's Taiwan visit: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China has always been firmly opposed to official exchanges between the US and the island of Taiwan and has lodged solemn representations with the US side on the relevant situation, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday in response to the US health secretary Alex Azar 's visit to Taiwan.
- Azar-Tsai meeting symbolic, 'meant to provoke Beijing' Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- US health secretary Alex Azar and Taiwan leader Tsai Ing-wen's meeting on Monday carry more symbolic weight than actual substance and was simply a manifest of Washington's political agenda of using the island to provoke Beijing, Chinese analysts commented.
- US health chief conveys Trump's message of support to Taiwan amid tensions with China Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The US health secretary - the most senior official to travel to Taiwan in four decades - has conveyed President Donald Trump's message of "strong support" to the self-ruled island's leader, Tsai Ing-wen, during a visit sharply condemned by mainland China.
- Chinese Vessels Maintain Presence in Philippine-claimed Waters in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- Two Chinese survey ships were spotted at a Philippine-claimed feature in the South China Sea last week while Beijing's coast-guard has maintained a presence in the disputed waters through rotations, the Filipino navy chief said Monday, adding his forces were under orders to avoid confrontation.
- China recruits more pilots for carrier-based fighter jets Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- About 16,000 people signed up for the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's recently completed annual pilot recruitment drive, and among those who have passed the tests to become pilot cadets, nearly half will be trained to fly aircraft carrier-based fighter jets in the coming years. This is expected to satisfy China's future aircraft carrier programs.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 10, 2020 PRC MofA 10 Aug 2020
- Statement by National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien The White House 10 Aug 2020
- China Sanctions US Lawmakers, Rights Group Heads in Retaliation Over Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday imposed sanctions on U.S. officials and the heads of pro-democracy and human rights organizations in retaliation over U.S. President Donald Trump's sanctions on officials linked to a recent crackdown on dissent in Hong Kong.
- China Slaps Several US Officials With Sanctions in Retaliation for Hong Kong Restrictions Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- On Friday, the US Treasury Department said that the United States had imposed sanctions on 11 Chinese individuals in response to an alleged effort to "undermine" Hong Kong's autonomy.
- Hong Kong Media Tycoon Jimmy Lai Arrested Under National Security Law - Reports Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong police have arrested pro-democratic media tycoon Jimmy Lai under the national security law, Chinese media reported on Monday.
- Hong Kong Police Raid Next Media Offices, Arrest Pro-Democracy Founder Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong on Monday arrested pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai and raided the newsroom of his flagship newspaper, the Apple Daily, under a draconian new security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
- Hong Kong Publisher, Democracy Advocate Arrested VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong media tycoon and staunch democracy advocate Jimmy Lai was one of seven people arrested Monday on charges of violating the new national security law imposed by China.
- Hong Kong police arrest media tycoon over suspected collusion with foreign forces: Daily Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have reportedly arrested media tycoon Jimmy Lai, also a UK citizen, over suspected collusion with foreign forces.
- Taiwan condemns Hong Kong arrests of media tycoon, democracy activists CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Taiwan on Monday condemned the arrest of seven democracy activists in Hong Kong, including Hong Kong tycoon Jimmy Lai (黎智英), founder of media group Next Digital, on suspicion of violating the city's new security law.
- Secessionists like Lai who collude with external forces must be severely punished: HK&Macao affairs office Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of China's State Council on Monday expressed firm support for the Hong Kong police's arrest of Jimmy Lai and other secessionists, saying people colluding with external forces to jeopardize national security must be severely punished in line with the law.
- UPDATE: More personnel from Apple Daily to be arrested: observers Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- After the arrest of Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, founder of Apple Daily, for violating the national security law for Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Police Force searched the headquarters of Next Digital, parent company of Apple Daily, on Monday morning, as more executives from the notorious media group were arrested.
- So-called U.S. sanctions will become world's laughingstock: liaison office of China's central gov't in HKSAR People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- The U.S. side, in league with Hong Kong's opposition camp, challenged "one country, two systems" and the red line of national security in Hong Kong, plunging Hong Kong into prolonged disturbances, and they are the real destroyer of Hong Kong's democracy, freedom and high degree of autonomy, said the liaison office.
- NPC to decide on legislative operation in HK over deferral People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- China's top legislative body has started deliberating a bill during its four-day meeting since Saturday to decide on the arrangements of the normal operation of the Hong Kong Legislative Council after the postponement of its election.
- China sanctions 11 American officials over US moves against Hong Kong Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- China has slapped sanctions on eleven US officials, in retaliation for similar measures by Washington against Hong Kong's leader and a number of other key officials over a security law that China enacted for the semi-autonomous region in late June.
- US sanctions pose quandary for banks operating in Hong Kong Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- Fresh US sanctions against Chinese officials, having been defined by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) as lacking legal standing in the special administrative region (SAR), could still put some locally operated foreign banks with strong links to the US in a quandary, financial industry watchers said Monday.
- Lai's arrest a heavy blow to HK secessionism Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- About 40 days after the enactment of the highly anticipated national security law for Hong Kong, justice has finally been served as Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, one of the most high-profile local secessionists, was arrested by police on Monday.
- Reciprocal sanctions on US lawmakers, NGOs 'aim to reduce influence in HK, warn secessionists' Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday announced sanctions against 11 US lawmakers and heads of nongovernmental organizations, including US senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, and Executive Director of Human Rights Watch Kenneth Roth, as countermeasures against earlier US sanctions on 11 officials from the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- China sanctions US lawmakers, NGO heads as countermeasures Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday announced sanctions on 11 US lawmakers and individuals, including Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, as countermeasures against earlier US sanctions on Chinese central government and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) officials following the passing of the national security law for Hong Kong.
- China Denounces Statement of 5 Western Foreign Ministers on Hong Kong as Meddling Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The joint statement of the foreign ministers of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States on Hong Kong is yet another instance of interference in China's domestic affairs, the Chinese embassy in Canada said in a statement on Monday.
- 'Five Eyes' countries play double standard, don't representing intl community: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China deplores and rejects the joint statement on Hong Kong issued by the foreign ministers of the Five Eyes Alliance.
- Xi congratulates Lukashenko on re-election as Belarusian president People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday sent a congratulatory message to Alexander Lukashenko on his re-election as Belarusian president.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list