Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID-19 spread from overseas poses huge risk to China: expert Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- Despite contact among different countries and regions tightly controlled on a global scale, the resumption of international interaction will pose a huge risk to China as the overseas COVID-19 pandemic may spread to China, said Zhang Wenhong, a prominent Chinese infectious disease expert. He made his remarks during a TV program broadcasted on Thursday.
- New epidemic waves in two cities 'under control,' says official Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- The rapid development of the COVID-19 epidemic in the city of Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province, and Urumqi, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has been controlled, an official said at a media briefing on Wednesday.
- HK govt defends mainland nucleic acid test support team Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Autonomous Region (HKSAR) government has condemned the acts of some council members from the non-establishment camp and some individuals who protested against nucleic acid testing support team from the Chinese mainland and harassed team members.
- HK's new coronavirus wave linked to Philippine Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- Genetic sequencing of the virus from Hong Kong's third wave of the epidemic since July has revealed that it came from imported sources, including Philippine sailors and flight crews from Kazakhstan, a Hong Kong virologist said.
- China Reports 37 New Coronavirus Cases in Mainland for Aug 5 SPA 06 Aug 2020 -- As many as 37 new coronavirus cases were registered in the mainland for August 5, up from 27 a day earlier, Reuters cited the Chinese health commission as saying today.
- Malaysian Diplomacy on Display With Calls From China, US Radio Free Asia 06 Aug 2020 -- Malaysia is being courted by both China and the United States this week in a diplomatic tug-of-war over the South China Sea, highlighting the Southeast Asian state's desire to maintain tight relations with both great powers as they notch up their rivalry.
- US Allies Tighten Alliance to Contain China's Maritime Expansion VOA 06 Aug 2020 -- Australia's recent shift to a more combative stance against China will tighten political and military coordination among U.S.-allied nations that want to check Beijing's maritime expansion, analysts said this week.
- India Slams China's Attempt to Raise Kashmir Issue at UNSC Sputnik 06 Aug 2020 -- On Wednesday, China convened a meeting at the United Nations Security Council to discuss the Kashmir issue. However, the attempt was in vain as UNSC members asked India and Pakistan to resolve the issue bilaterally. Four of the five permanent members - the US, UK, France, and Russia - sided firmly with India.
- 'China's Panchen' Makes Rare Visit to Tibet's Capital Lhasa Radio Free Asia 06 Aug 2020 -- Tibet's Panchen Lama, a senior Buddhist monk hand-picked by Beijing to replace a candidate more widely recognized by Tibetans as authentic, paid a rare and largely unnoticed recent visit to Tibet's regional capital Lhasa, where he was received by government officials, reports in Chinese state media said.
- China Still Blocks US Travel to Tibet, State Department Says in Second Annual Report Radio Free Asia 06 Aug 2020 -- Beijing still tightly restricts travel by U.S. citizens to Tibet and other Tibetan regions of China, the U.S. State Department says, describing the situation as "unimproved" in its second report to Congress under a law aimed at pressing Beijing to allow greater access to the Himalayan region.
- U.S. health secretary to arrive in Taiwan Sunday; no quarantine planned CNA 06 Aug 2020 -- United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is scheduled to arrive in Taiwan Sunday on an official visit, and he and his delegation will not be required to go into quarantine once they test negative for the COVID-19 coronavirus, Taiwan government officials said Thursday.
- China vows countermeasures against the wrongful actions of the US on the Taiwan question Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- China firmly opposes any official interactions between the US and Taiwan island and will take strong and resolute countermeasures against the wrong actions of the US, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.
- China lodges solemn representations to U.S. over health secretary's planned Taiwan visit People's Daily 06 Aug 2020 -- China has lodged solemn representations to the United States regarding the scheduled visit of U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar to Taiwan, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Wednesday.
- Tensions Mount over China's Industrial Espionage in US VOA 06 Aug 2020 -- Tensions between the U.S. and China are escalating at a dizzying pace, with July 24 marking the lowest point of bilateral relations in decades. On that day, the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas, was closed and taken over by U.S. officials.
- Company President and Employee Arrested in Alleged Scheme to Violate the Export Control Reform Act US Dept. of Justice 06 Aug 2020 -- Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers, Audrey Strauss, the Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Jonathan Carson, Special Agent in Charge of the New York Field Office of the U.S. Department of Commerce, Office of Export Enforcement (OEE), announced the arrests today of Chong Sik Yu, a/k/a "Chris Yu," and Yunseo Lee.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Telephone Call with the People's Republic of China's Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe DoD 06 Aug 2020 -- On August 6, 2020, Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper held a telephone call with the People's Republic of China (PRC) Minister of National Defense, General Wei Fenghe.
- Man detained for rumor that poor quality military vehicles caused casualties in border clash with India Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- A netizen has been detained for spreading rumors on social media that poor quality military vehicles supplied by Dongfeng sport utility vehicle company, a subsidiary of Dongfeng Motor Corporation and corruption among personnel in the company's special equipment division resulted in casualties among soldiers in the frontline of the border with India, according to a notification that the company published on Wednesday.
- Netizen arrested due to online rumor-mongering on military vehicle PLA Daily 06 Aug 2020 -- Recently, a netizen surnamed Zhou was arrested by the police in accordance with the law, because he spread the rumors online by saying that "the poor quality of military vehicles supplied by the Dongfeng Off-road Vehicle Co., Ltd. (hereafter referred to as Dongfeng) has caused the death of Chinese soldiers during the China-India border clash".
- PLA Rocket Force launches DF-26 'aircraft carrier killer' missile in fast-reaction drills Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Rocket Force recently launched a DF-26 intermediate-range anti-ship ballistic missile in an ongoing months-long exercise, after the US provocatively sent two aircraft carriers to the South China Sea for exercises and held joint naval drills with India, Japan and Australia in the Indian Ocean and Philippine Sea respectively in an attempt to contain China.
- Chinese peacekeepers to provide medical aid to Beirut after deadly explosions PLA Daily 06 Aug 2020 -- The medical unit of the Chinese peacekeeping forces to Lebanon said it will provide medical aid to Beirut following the deadly explosions at the port of the Lebanese capital on Tuesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on August 6, 2020 PRC MofA 06 Aug 2020
- China Uses 'Friendship Associations' to Extend Influence Among Overseas Elites: Report Radio Free Asia 06 Aug 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is "co-opting" foreign nationals via friendship associations to expand its overseas influence in Europe, amid growing concerns over Beijing's intensive lobbying and propaganda campaigns far beyond its borders, according to a recent report.
- UPDATE: Death penalty on Canadian made according to law: Chinese FM Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Chinese judicial organs handle cases independently in strict accordance with the law and legal procedures and Thursday's death sentence handed down to a Canadian for making drugs will not affect China-Canada relations.
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate on Addressing the Threat Posed by WeChat The White House 06 Aug 2020
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate on Addressing the Threat Posed by TikTok The White House 06 Aug 2020
- President's Working Group on Financial Markets Releases Report and Recommendations on Protecting Investors from Significant Risks from Chinese Companies US Treasury 06 Aug 2020 -- In response to President Trump's June 4 Memorandum on Protecting United States Investors from Significant Risks from Chinese Companies, the President's Working Group on Financial Markets (PWG) today released a report making five recommendations.
- Subtle change, consistent stance in FM Wang's message to US Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- As the US is trapped in political turmoil and its diplomacy seemingly has entered an anarchic state manifested by its wanton and crazy assaults against China, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi vowed to cool off tensions and set out a clear framework for bilateral relations, showing that China will always maintain rational and strategic willpower in discourse while preparing for any bumps in the road ahead.
- US 'Clean Network' plan 'absurd, laughable': Chinese FM Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- China's FM on Thur called the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's "Clean Network" initiative "absurd and laughable," noting that there has been no data security incidents involving Chinese firms unlike the many "stains" brought by the US and their PRISM surveillance program.
- China doesn't want diplomatic war with US: Foreign minister Press TV 06 Aug 2020 -- China says it has no intention of ratcheting up tensions with the United States and engaging in a diplomatic war with Washington.
- Does A Long-Term Contract With China Serve Iran's Interests? Radio Farda 06 Aug 2020 -- Will a long-term contract between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the People's Republic of China be consistent with Iran's national interests? What will Iran gain out of such a contract? How feasible it is? And what is wrong with the Iranian opposition's reaction to this contract?
- China: We don't agree with US in pushing for extension of Iran arms embargo Press TV 06 Aug 2020 -- China expresses its unequivocal opposition to the United States' illegal underway bid to prevent removal of an anti-Iran arms embargo that is slated to expire in October in line with a UN Security Council resolution.
- HKSAR gov't strongly opposes so-called report by Britain's all-party parliamentary group on Hong Kong Global Times 06 Aug 2020 -- The government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday strongly deplored and opposed the so-called report published by Britain's All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Hong Kong on Tuesday.
- Xi stresses combination of top-level design, public advice in compiling 14th Five-Year Plan PLA Daily 06 Aug 2020 -- President Xi Jinping has underlined the need to combine top-level design and public opinions in compiling the 14th Five-Year Plan.
- Uyghur Model 'Disappears' After Risking Punishment With Video of His Detention Radio Free Asia 06 Aug 2020 -- A young Uyghur man who risked severe punishment to take a video of himself in detention in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) and his aunt, who sent the video out of the country, have both "disappeared," according to the man's uncle.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list