Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on August 3, 2020 PRC MofA 03 Aug 2020
- Mainland medics to expand HK testing Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- A nucleic acid test assistance team dispatched from the mainland to Hong Kong vowed to help expand the city's daily test capacity from less than 10,000 to 200,000, a step epidemiologists said would help plug one of the biggest loopholes in Hong Kong's virus battle.
- Dalian outbreak unrelated to Beijing, Xinjiang cases: local official Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- The possibility of clustered infections in Dalian being caused by domestic cases can be preliminarily ruled out, as the cases have been found to be unrelated to those discovered in Beijing and Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, local authorities said Monday.
- HK govt welcomes mainland medical team sent to aid HK's COVID-19 fight Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) welcomed and expressed gratitude to the central government on Sunday after the arrival from the mainland of the first members of a team of medical workers sent to help contain the city's worsening outbreak of COVID-19.
- Ventilators still in demand amid global fight against COVID-19 Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- After Chinese medical equipment manufacturers rushed to churn out medical supplies for the global battle against COVID-19, concerns about overcapacity of the products have arisen with some media reports alleging that Chinese-made ventilators are suffering from returns.
- Urumqi reopens farmers' markets with strict COVID-19 prevention measures People's Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- All farmers' markets in Urumqi, capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, have been reopened with intensified COVID-19 prevention and control measures, local authorities said Monday.
- Virus testing professionals from mainland arrive in Hong Kong to help curb COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- Seven virus testing professionals from the Chinese mainland arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday afternoon as the first batch of mainland supportive teams to help contain a worsening spread of COVID-19 in Hong Kong.
- Urumqi ensures medicine, food supply amid resurgence of COVID-19 People's Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- Urumqi in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has worked to ensure sufficient medicine and food supply amid a resurgence of COVID-19 infections.
- China Warships, Fighter Jets Deployed in Spratly Islands Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2020 -- China has deployed warships and sent fighter jets on a long-haul flight to bases it occupies in the disputed Spratly island chain, according to satellite imagery and state media, in the latest show of Chinese military strength in the South China Sea.
- Chinese military expert says Kyodo misinterprets his words over Dongsha Islands drill Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- A Chinese professor said his words have been misinterpreted after Japanese media quoted his article and wrongly inferred that the Chinese mainland "is expected to carry out a large-scale landing drill" aimed at seizing the Taiwan-controlled Dongsha Islands in the South China Sea in August.
- Key components of China's navigation satellite system BDS-3 100% domestic Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- All key components of the Beidou-3 satellite are 100 percent made-in-China, showing the country's ambitions in independently controllable technology breakthroughs.
- Beidou satellites to stay ahead of game PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- Designers of China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System will keep upgrading software on Beidou satellites to improve their capabilities and maintain technological advantages, according to a key figure in this program.
- China aids construction of Pakistan's 'Three Gorges Dam' despite pandemic Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- Despite the novel coronavirus pandemic, China and Pakistan are stepping up efforts on committed projects focusing on cooperation in industrial development, agriculture and the improvement of people's livelihoods. The Diamer-Bhasha Dam and Power Project, nicknamed the "Three Gorges Project" by the Pakistani people, joins a long list of bilateral cooperation efforts between the two countries.
- Riled up Pompeo slams Iran-China deal, threatens with sanctions Press TV 03 Aug 2020 -- The US administration, riled up by a potential long-term strategic partnership between Iran and China, has threatened to slap the same unilateral sanctions already imposed on Tehran against Beijing in case the deal was finalized.
- Pompeo Says Iran Sanctions To Be Applied To China If $400 Billion Trade Deal Signed Radio Farda 03 Aug 2020 -- Referring to a $400 billion 25-year trade deal between Iran and China U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on August 2 said the United States will apply all Iran sanctions also to the "Chinese Communist Party and their businesses and state-owned enterprises".
- Central Military Commission urges study of third volume of "Xi Jinping: The Governance of China" PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- The general office of the Central Military Commission has issued a circular requiring the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and the People's Armed Police Force (PAP) to earnestly study the newly published third volume of "Xi Jinping: The Governance of China."
- Building stronger defense crucial goal PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- China should advance modernization of its national defense and armed forces in order to build a strong country, said Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee.
- Military honing its capability to triumph in battle PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- During a joint battle drill taking place during summer in a coastal area of Guangdong province, soldiers from the sixth company of the 74th Army Group of the People's Liberation Army faced a strong opposing force made up of a joint amphibious brigade.
- Chinese military: on guard for peace PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- On Aug. 1, 1927, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China was born out of a mission to seek national independence and liberation of the Chinese people.
- Moments from strengthening Chinese military PLA Daily 03 Aug 2020 -- China's Army Day falls on Aug. 1. As the top commander, President Xi Jinping has been leading efforts to modernize national defense and the armed forces, and turn the People's Liberation Army (PLA) into world-class forces.
- Hong Kong Lawyers Warn of 'Grave Concern' Over Postponement of Election Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2020 -- Lawyers in Hong Kong have hit out at the decision by the city's leaders to postpone Legislative Council (LegCo) elections for one year, saying they have "grave concern" that the move wasn't even legal.
- China suspends HKSAR legal assistance treaties with New Zealand Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- China said it would suspend the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)'s extradition and legal assistance treaties with New Zealand, the Chinese Foreign Ministry announced Monday. Analysts noted New Zealand should refrain from making a bad move, like meddling in Hong Kong affairs, to ruin the prospects of China-NZ relations despite pressure from Australia and the US.
- China suspends HKSAR legal assistance agreement with New Zealand: FM Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- China has decided to suspend the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)'s extradition treaty and agreement on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters with New Zealand as New Zealand has politicized judicial cooperation and interfered in China's internal affairs by suspending its extradition treaty with Hong Kong, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said at a press briefing on Monday.
- China suspends extradition treaty with New Zealand Press TV 03 Aug 2020 -- China has suspended its extradition agreement with New Zealand in response to Wellington suspending its existing extradition treaty with Hong Kong.
- Trump Gives Microsoft 45 Days to Seal TikTok Deal VOA 03 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese-owned social media app TikTok "is going to be out of business in the United States" on Sept. 15, unless Microsoft or another U.S. company concludes a purchase deal that satisfies the U.S. government, President Donald Trump said on Monday.
- US 'robbery' of TikTok angers Chinese hi-tech companies Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- Chinese tech companies entangled in the ever increasingly nasty crackdown waged by the US' Trump administration are mulling to act proactively, the Global Times learnt, with public anger growing on both sides of the Pacific, as the drama of the US forcing the sale of the hugely popular Chinese short-form video platform TikTok morphed one step closer to daylight robbery over the weekend.
- Uyghur Women, Rarely Informed About Forced Birth Control Procedures, Suffer Lifelong Complications Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2020 -- Uyghur women who are forced to undergo birth control procedures in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) are rarely informed about their side effects, and regularly experience lifelong health complications they believe are related to the surgeries, according to sources in exile.
- Former head of State Information Center expelled from CPC and dismissed from office Global Times 03 Aug 2020 -- Ma Zhongyu, former deputy chief of China's State Information Center, has been expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) and removed from his post for bribery and privately keeping confidential materials, the country's top anti-graft government body said on Monday.
- Voting with Their Feet: Children of High-Level CCP Officials Choose to Live Abroad VOA 03 Aug 2020 -- A recent article by an outspoken Chinese sociologist has gone viral on Beijing's tightly-controlled social media, sparking debates about the children of China's privileged class who choose to live overseas.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list