Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Medical aid team arrives in HK, bringing skills, blessing Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- The first group of seven nucleic acid testing technicians from the Chinese mainland arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday to begin the task of assisting Hong Kong to curb the surging number of COVID-19 infections. They will be followed by a team of experts who specialize in building makeshift hospitals.
- Confirmed cases of COVID-19 decline in Xinjiang, Dalian Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- Two COVID-19 outbreak areas on the Chinese mainland - Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and the city of Dalian in Northeast China - have seen a decline in new COVID-19 cases for three days, showing positive signs of epidemic control. China's top epidemiologist stressed that regional epidemic rebounds across the country are likely to continue.
- Chinese mainland to help HK build new makeshift hospital to curb spread of epidemic Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong Chief Secretary for Administration Matthew Cheung Kin-chung revealed on Sunday that, in addition to assisting with the city's makeshift hospital at the AsiaWorld Expo, the central government will help build a completely new hospital in Hong Kong to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
- Wuhan reports 3 imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- The city of Wuhan in Central China's Hubei Province reported three imported COVID-19 cases on Sunday, all of them are Chinese nationals flying back from Moscow by chartered plane.
- Medical equipment at Wuhan's temporary hospital remains in place, at the ready to tackle any potential new virus spike Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- Wuhan's Huoshenshan hospital, the major emergency field hospital used to treat COVID-19 patients during the city's epidemic outbreak, still has all its medical equipment in position in case of another virus spike, despite being shut down for more than 100 days.
- Raw material supply for COVID-19 vaccines sufficient in China Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- As countries race to promote COVID-19 vaccines, concerns have arisen over the supply of upstream raw materials. Industry analysts said that Chinese manufacturers need not worry as China has a sufficient raw material supply.
- Hong Kong opens first makeshift hospital as virus spread worsens People's Daily 02 Aug 2020 -- The makeshift hospital mainly receives COVID-19 patients with mild symptoms or those still waiting to be admitted to hospital. As many as 500 beds are available in the first phase, and another 1,500 will be available if needed.
- Mainland to send nucleic acid test support to HKSAR People's Daily 02 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland has set up a batch of supportive teams that will head for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to carry out nucleic acid tests for COVID-19.
- Interview with South China Sea think tank head shows three possibilities risking China-US military conflict Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- At 2:22 pm on Saturday, China's Army Day, think tank South China Sea Strategic Situation Probing Initiative (SCSPI) released the latest movement of US warships on its Weibo account, including the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier and USS America amphibious assault ship in the East China Sea.
- China's Mars probe Tianwen-1 completes first mid-course correction Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- Tianwen-1, China's first Mars probe, completed its first mid-course correction on Sunday, allowing it to continue heading toward the Red Planet precisely, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).
- China's Mars probe completes first orbital correction People's Daily 02 Aug 2020 -- China's Mars probe Tianwen-1 successfully carried out its first orbital correction Sunday morning, according to the China National Space Administration.
- Trade Official Says Russian And Chinese Banks Refuse To Deal With Iran Radio Farda 02 Aug 2020 -- The chairman of the Iran-China Chamber of Commerce says Tehran has virtually no banking transactions with Russia and China. If someone with an Islamic Republic passport applies for banking services in these countries, he will be rejected.
- US Condemns Hong Kong Election Postponement VOA 02 Aug 2020 -- The United States has condemned the Hong Kong government's decision to postpone the Legislative Council elections initially scheduled for September 6, 2020, for one year.
- US Activist Accused of Breaching HK's Security Law Says He Will Not Back Down VOA 02 Aug 2020 -- Samuel Chu, one of six activists now living overseas who Hong Kong has reportedly issued arrest warrants for under its new national security law, has told VOA he will not stop fighting for democracy for Hong Kong.
- Pompeo Hits Out at Hong Kong's Delay of Legislative Elections Sputnik 02 Aug 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo criticized the Hong Kong administration's one-year delay of the legislative elections, questioning whether Hong Kongers will ever be able to vote again.
- Beijing's security law for Hong Kong spares no one: activist CNA 02 Aug 2020 -- Beijing's security law for Hong Kong spares no one, Samuel Chu (朱牧民), the first non-Chinese citizen reportedly wanted by the special administrative region's police under that law, warned Saturday.
- Wanted Hong Kong activist-in-exile vows to continue push for democracy CNA 02 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong activist-in-exile Ray Wong (黃台仰) believes he and five others have been put on a Hong Kong wanted list for violating the national security law to deter overseas Hongkongers from building groups that promote democracy there.
- HK opposition's criticism of postponed LegCo election ignores threat to public health: Leung Chun-ying Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong opposition's criticism of the postponement of Legislative Council (LegCo)'s election ignores the threat to public health, says Leung Chun-ying, vice chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.
- Young people violating 'one country' principle have gloomy future: Carrie Lam Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- Carrie Lam, Chief Executive of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR),said that some young people have wrongly got the idea that opposing the local or central government will help them, and warned that if they violate the "one country" principle, their future could be gloomy.
- Postponement of LegCo election timely move to protect Hong Kong people: former WHO chief People's Daily 02 Aug 2020 -- The postponement of the 2020 Legislative Council (LegCo) General Election of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) is a timely move to protect the health and well-being of Hong Kong residents, Margaret Chan, former director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO), said on Saturday.
- Pompeo Says U.S. Firms 'Becoming Aware' Of Abuses In Xinjiang, Warns China On Iran Deal RFE/RL 02 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said American companies are "becoming aware" of human rights abuses in the Chinese province of Xinjiang as he reiterated his call for them to reconsider doing business there.
- 'Independent' observation based on lies in Xinjiang unaccepted Global Times 02 Aug 2020 -- China will not accept so-called independent observation of human rights in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region as it is only some countries' trick to crack down against countries who are different from theirs and it will not bring justice but only indulge those rumor-mongers, the Chinese Embassy in France said Sunday in response to France's recent suggestion of a UN-led observer mission to evaluate the treatment of the Uygurs in Xinjiang.
- On China's Predatory Fishing Practices in the Galápagos US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2020 -- The People's Republic of China subsidizes the world's largest commercial fishing fleet, which routinely violates the sovereign rights and jurisdiction of coastal states, fishes without permission, and overfishes licensing agreements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list