Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Philippines Thanks China in Advance For COVID-19 Vaccine Radio Free Asia 30 Jul 2020 -- A spokesman for Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday thanked China for agreeing to give Manila access once it develops a vaccine for COVID-19, saying that it pays to be friendly despite territorial disputes.
- COVID-19 outbreaks in Wuhan, Beijing and Dalian 'share similarities:' China's top epidemiologist Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- China's top epidemiologist said the recent COVID-19 outbreaks in Wuhan, Beijing and Dalian share certain similarities and did not come about by coincidence, as they all took place in the cold contaminated environment of seafood markets, and the virus may have infected people through aerosols.
- Xinjiang's cotton production sees limited disruption amid COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- The coronavirus outbreak in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has had a limited impact on production in the region which supplies 80 percent of China's cotton, said an industry observer.
- A review of Beijing's efforts to fight second wave of COVID-19 People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Beijing lowered its COVID-19 emergency response from level II to III starting from July 20, following 40 days of hard work to battle the disease. Taking the most resolute, decisive and rigorous measures and establishing a strict epidemic control network across the city, Beijing has reported no new confirmed cases within 28 days, or two incubation periods.
- China's western regions accelerate opening up amid epidemic People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Despite the impact of the COVID-19 epidemic, the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu registered a stellar foreign trade performance in the first half of this year.
- Beijing intensifies testing, management following new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Over 13,200 people have been sampled for nucleic acid tests in an outlying district in Beijing after two new domestically-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported there, a local official told a press conference Wednesday.
- Hong Kong reports 118 new COVID-19 cases, total surpasses 3,000 People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 118 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong above 3,000.
- Chinese mainland reports 105 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of 105 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, including 102 domestically transmitted cases and three imported ones.
- US military provocations in S.China Sea to strengthen China's resolve: defense ministry Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- Disregarding the facts and history, the US has made unfounded accusations against China, sowed discord in the South China Sea and sent two US Navy aircraft carriers for dual exercises in the region, which fully exposed its hegemony mentality and double standards, China's Ministry of National Defense spokesperson Ren Guoqiang told a press conference on Thursday.
- China Hits Back at Australia over South China Sea Statement Radio Free Asia 30 Jul 2020 -- In the latest flurry of diplomatic notes to the United Nations on the South China Sea dispute, China has lashed out at Australia for declaring Beijing's expansive maritime claims illegal, while Malaysia reiterated that it too did not accept China's stance on the contested waters.
- Chinese and Indian border troops are gradually disengaging from contact: Spokesperson PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- "China and India have conducted effective communication and coordination through both diplomatic and military channels since the clash at the Galwan Valley region. At present, the situation in this region tends toward de-escalation, and the disengagement between the border troops of the two countries is gradually carried forward," said Senior Colonel Ren Guoqiang, spokesperson of China's Ministry of National Defense（MND）at a regular press conference on July 30.
- Failure to Disengage, Military Build-Up Indicate No Quick Fix to Border Dispute Between India, China Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- India and China have been in a border dispute along the 4,057 km Line of Actual Control since the last week in April. The two sides have engaged in several rounds of diplomatic and military level talks, following a violent face-off on 15 June.
- Indian Ministry of External Affairs Says Disengagement on Border With China Not Completed Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- The disengagement process along the Line of Actual Control between China and India is still ongoing following the recent deadly clashes on the border between the two countries, Indian Ministry of External Affairs representative Anurag Srivastava said on Thursday.
- Last BeiDou satellite starts operation in network PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- The 55th and last satellite of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) has commenced operation in the network after completing in-orbit tests and network access evaluations, according to a statement from China's Satellite Navigation System Management Office Wednesday.
- Iran Dismisses Leaked Details of Proposed China Deal VOA 30 Jul 2020 -- Talks between Iran and China aimed at finalizing a 25-year strategic cooperation agreement are continuing despite what Tehran dismissed as "baseless rumors" about the deal that leaked earlier this month.
- Researcher Pleaded Guilty to Conspiring to Steal Scientific Trade Secrets from Ohio Children's Hospital to Sell in China US Dept. of Justice 30 Jul 2020 -- Crime is Another Example of Economic Malfeasance Related to the Peoples Republic of China Accommodating Theft of Commercial Products They Cannot Field Organically
- China, Russia Nearing Status as U.S. Nuclear Peers, Stratcom Commander Says DoD News 30 Jul 2020 -- For the first time, the United States will face two peer competitors with nuclear capabilities – China and Russia – by the end of this decade, the commander of U.S. Strategic Command said.
- PLA Navy's new bomber debuts in South China Sea drills Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- New warplanes affiliated with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, including H-6G and H-6J bombers, recently conducted intensive round-the-clock drills in the South China Sea, China's Ministry of National Defense announced on Thursday.
- China, ASEAN countries explore int'l military cooperation under normalized pandemic situation PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- From July 7 to 8, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Defense Senior Officials' Meeting Plus and the ASEAN Regional Forum Security Policy Conference (ASPC) held video conferences, and Chinese military's representatives participated in the video conferences in Beijing, said Senior Colonel Ren Guoqiang, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND), in a regular press conference on Thursday.
- PLA conducts 'high-intensity exercises' in South China Sea PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- The naval aviation units of the Southern Theater Command of the People's Liberation Army conducted routine exercises in the South China Sea that improved pilots' combat techniques and overall all-weather fighting capability of the units, a military spokesman said on Thursday.
- Chinese armed forces rush to flood control after fight against epidemic:Spokesperson PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- PLA and armed police troops with a total of 725,000 person-time have participated in battling floods in southern China as of July 28 since the flood season this year, said Senior Colonel Ren Guoqiang, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) at a regular press conference in Beijing on July 30.
- 12 Hong Kong Opposition Candidates Disqualified from September Elections VOA 30 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong authorities have disqualified 12 pro-democracy candidates from running in September's legislative elections.
- Hong Kong Officials Disqualify 12 Pro-Democracy Election Hopefuls Radio Free Asia 30 Jul 2020 -- Election authorities in Hong Kong on Thursday disqualified 12 pro-democracy figures who tried to register as candidates in legislative elections slated for September, including former 2014 student protest leader Joshua Wong.
- HK junks 12 LegCo opposition candidates, reviews to remove secessionists Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- Twelve candidates, including secessionist Joshua Wong, for Hong Kong's Legislative Council (LegCo) election scheduled for September 6 have been disqualified (DQ) for failing the requirements of the elections.
- 4 arrested for breaking security law in first major action from HKPF's new natl security unit Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- Four people who claimed to be students have been arrested for breaching the national security law for Hong Kong and suspected of secession by advocating for "Hong Kong independence," the Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) announced on Wednesday night.
- Call for probe of more secessionists after 1st major operation Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- There's a call for more secessionists in Hong Kong, including Joshua Wong Chi-fung, Jimmy Lai Chee-ying and Tai Yiu-ting, to be investigated after four people who claimed to be students were arrested for suspected secessionist activities in the first major operation of the Hong Kong police's new national security unit on Wednesday.
- HKSAR govt supports disqualifying 12 nominees to LegCo election Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- HKSAR government voiced support to the decision by the electoral affairs commission to disqualify 12 candidates from the opposition camp in the LegCo election: HKSAR govt.
- EU's move over national security law in Hong Kong wrong: HKSAR gov't Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Wednesday night that European Union's (EU) conclusions and measures in response to the enactment of the Law of the People's Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the HKSAR was a wrong decision.
- Hong Kong police arrest 4 people on suspicion of breach of national security law People's Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong police said on late Wednesday that they had arrested four people on suspicion of breach of the national security law in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Chinese FM urges US to stop politicization of trade in response to TikTok review Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- China urged the US to provide an open, just, fair and non-discriminatory environment for Chinese companies and stop the politicization of trade issues, the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Thursday in response to the US government's national security review of TikTok.
- Key CPC meeting to convene in Oct, focusing on new plan on economic, social development amid global uncertainties Global Times 30 Jul 2020 -- The fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) will be held in Beijing in October, it was announced Thursday.
- CPC leaders analyze economy, to convene Central Committee plenum in October PLA Daily 30 Jul 2020 -- The fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) will be held in Beijing in October, according to a decision made at a CPC Central Committee Political Bureau meeting on Thursday.
- Pompeo Claims Chinese Consulate in Houston Was a 'Den of Spies' Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- Last week, Pompeo announced that the Trump administration has been working to build a coalition of countries that would push China to change its political behaviour.
- Pompeo claims 'tide is turning' in US dealings with China Press TV 30 Jul 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that the "tide is turning" in United States dealings with China, claiming that there is international support for American policies against Beijing.
- Beijing says US stoking new Cold War on China ahead of presidential election Press TV 30 Jul 2020 -- China says the United States is triggering a new Cold War as a number of American politicians are looking for a scapegoat to rally further support for President Donald Trump ahead of the US presidential election in November.
- Beijing Urges Washington to Stop Unjustified Suppression of Chinese Companies Sputnik 30 Jul 2020 -- China is urging the United States to stop politicizing economic affairs and cease the unjustified suppression of Chinese companies, including tech giant Huawei, the country's ambassador to Russia Zhang Hanhui said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list