Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- HK infections risk spread to Shenzhen Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- A truck driver traveling between Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland was confirmed with COVID-19 infection, prompting the neighboring mainland city of Shenzhen to test thousands of residents and step up measures to prevent the port from becoming a loophole in mainland's epidemic control work.
- Urumqi virus strain similar to Beijing's: experts Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- The spike in COVID-19 cases in cities in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has drawn national attention with 41 new confirmed cases and 38 asymptomatic ones reported on Monday.
- NE.China's Dalian tests 1.7m residents amid citywide COVID-19 screening Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- After announcing citywide COVID-19 tests on Sunday, Dalian in Northeast China sampled 1.68 million people on the first day of the screening campaign, one sixth of its population.
- Shenzhen community undergoes nucleic acid testing after visiting Hong Kong driver confirmed infected Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- Shenzhen is running free COVID-19 nucleic acid testing on all residents of a local community after a driver from Hong Kong visited the community earlier and was confirmed to be infected on Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 128 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Jul 2020 -- Vietnam on Sunday reported three new cases of COVID-19 infection, all of which were found in the community, bringing its total confirmed cases to 420, according to its Ministry of Health.
- Duterte Says Philippines Powerless Over South China Sea Rights Radio Free Asia 27 Jul 2020 -- President Rodrigo Duterte told Congress on Monday he had no power to enforce the Philippines' ownership of territories claimed by China in the South China Sea.
- US Reportedly Pushing Australia to Increase FONOPs in South China Sea Sputnik 27 Jul 2020 -- Allegations that the Trump administration has attempted to push Australia to step up naval exercises in the South China Sea come after Canberra asserted that Beijing has "no legal basis" for its maritime claims in the disputed waters.
- China Launches Propaganda for Recognition of Disputed Maritime Claims VOA 27 Jul 2020 -- Chinese scholars have had scores of reports published in internationally recognized scientific journals containing a mention of their country's 'nine-dash line,' the core of its claim to the hotly contested South China Sea, an American research institution said this month.
- Next gen fighter jet forthcoming in great power competition: J-20 chief designer Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- A revolutionary, cognition-subverting next generation fighter jet, characterized by long-range, high capabilities in penetration, awareness, firepower and fast decision-making, is about to come into being amid great power competition, according to a recent paper by the chief designer of China's J-20 stealth fighter jet.
- AG600 seaplane's test flight marks milestone PLA Daily 27 Jul 2020 -- China's AG600 seaplane conducted its first sea-based test flight on Sunday morning, marking a new milestone in the program.
- Chengdu Consulate Closure Likely to Slow US Information Gathering on Tibet Radio Free Asia 27 Jul 2020 -- China's closing on Monday of the U.S. consulate in Chengdu, a move taken in retaliation for Washington's shutdown last week of a Chinese consulate in Houston, will now hamper U.S. efforts to gather data on human rights violations in Tibet and other Tibetan-populated areas of western China, sources said.
- US Closes Consulate in Chengdu Amid Rising Tensions With Beijing Radio Free Asia 27 Jul 2020 -- Authorities in the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu on Monday escorted anti-U.S. protesters away from the former U.S. consulate in the city, as the American flag was hauled down and staff left the premises after Beijing ordered the facility to close.
- In Tit-for-Tat, China Forces Closure of US Consulate in Chengdu VOA 27 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. consulate in the Chinese city of Chengdu officially closed Monday as U.S.-China relations marked a new low point in more than 40 years.
- US consulate in Chengdu closes Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- The US Consulate General in Chengdu, Southwest China's Sichuan Province officially closed on Monday, following a decision the Chinese government was forced to make, as the Chinese consulate in Houston was abruptly demanded by the US to close down last week.
- US diplomats in Chengdu took documents to 'keep their secrets' Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- As ordered by China, the US Consulate General in Chengdu closed on Monday and China took over the consulate building, as a former Chinese diplomat said the US diplomats burned or took documents showing "unscrupulous" deeds.
- US espionage claims on Chinese diplomats in Houston pure slander: FM Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- US accusations of Chinese diplomats in Houston engaging in aiding economic espionage, attempted theft of scientific research and participating in "massive illegal spying" campaigns are complete slander, and if the US is bent on attacking China, it will never be short of excuses, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.
- Pompeo does not represent 'democracy and freedom' but serves US hegemony: Chinese FM Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo does not really represent democracy and freedom, which he repeatedly claims, but is serving the hegemony of the US and the interests behind him, the Chinese foreign ministry said on Monday, while slamming him for smearing the Communist Party of China (CPC) and advocating the comprehensive containment of China.
- China takes over premises after closure of US consulate Global Times 27 Jul 2020 -- The US Consulate General in Chengdu was officially closed at 10 am on Monday, as required by the Chinese side. China's competent authorities then entered through the front entrance and took over the premises, China's foreign ministry said Monday.
- U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu closed, taken over by Chinese authorities People's Daily 27 Jul 2020 -- At 10 a.m. Monday, as required by China, the U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu was closed. Relevant Chinese authorities then entered through the front entrance and took over the premises, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on its website.
- Diplomatic tensions: China confirms closure of US consulate in Chengdu Press TV 27 Jul 2020 -- China has officially announced that the United States' consulate in Chengdu has been closed down and that Chinese authorities have now taken control of the building.
- US Consulate General in China's Chengdu Officially Shut Down, Beijing Says Sputnik 27 Jul 2020 -- The US Consulate General in the Chinese city of Chengdu has been closed, following a demand by Beijing, the country's Foreign Ministry said.
- New Zealand Suspends Extradition Treaty With Hong Kong, Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 27 Jul 2020 -- The move follows a path set by the United Kingdom and Australia in suspending extradition treaties with Hong Kong in light of China passing the Hong Kong national security law, seen by some as controversial.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list