Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Cancels Coal Reports Amid Economic Doubts Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- China's major power companies have stopped disclosing their daily coal consumption data after more than a decade of reports, shutting a widely-used window on the country's actual economic growth.
- Imports may carry coronavirus: expert Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health experts warned that packages from abroad, such as food and drugs, may contain coronavirus regardless of whether they were transported in cold chain, and enhance viral tests of imported products at all ports are necessary after Northeast China's coastal city Dalian reported a new COVID-19 cluster linked to a seafood processing company.
- New COVID-19 cases in Dalian mostly related to seafood company: health commission Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- The Dalian Health Commission said on Friday that the recent surge of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city is largely related to the Dalian Kaiyang Seafood Company. The health commission has asked residents not to leave the city.
- Central govt offers HK help to fight COVID-19 Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- The central government will provide the necessary support to Hong Kong to fight COVID-19, the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Friday, as the region saw a new record number of confirmed cases in a single day on Friday amid the third wave of coronavirus infections.
- Newly confirmed COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong hit another new high of 123 Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) Friday reported 123 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, hitting a new daily high.
- HK makeshift hospital put into use on Friday amid worsening coronavirus situation Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- A resort-converted community quarantine facility for COVID-19 patients, also known as the Hong Kong makeshift hospital, was put into use on Friday after the city reported a record number of confirmed cases in a single day on Thursday amid the region's third wave of coronavirus infections.
- Hong Kong to use community isolation facility to receive patients as COVID-19 cases hit new high People's Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's Hospital Authority announced on Thursday to start using a community isolation facility to receive mild patients of COVID-19 as the daily additional cases hit another new high of 118.
- Nigeria urged to protect local Chinese amid COVID-19 Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- China's consulate in Lagos, Nigeria issued on Friday a notice warning local Chinese nationals of increasingly frequent kidnapping and robberies as the African economy suffers from COVID-19.
- Chinese peacekeepers donate medicines, medical equipment to Lebanon PLA Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- The medical unit of Chinese peacekeeping forces, working with the United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL), donated medical equipment and medicines to the Lebanese Red Cross center in Hasbaya, southern Lebanon.
- India, China hold new talks after deadly border flare-up Press TV 24 Jul 2020 -- Diplomats from India and China hold another round of talks over rising tensions at their contested border.
- Chinese Tourists Crowd Lhasa Holy Sites, Tibetans Pushed Aside Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- Chinese tourists are pouring into Tibet's regional capital Lhasa in large numbers, crowding religious sites barred to many Tibetans as the city opens to outside visitors after the easing of coronavirus prevention restrictions, sources in Lhasa say
- Australia Joins List of Nations Rejecting China's Maritime Claims in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- Australia has sent a diplomatic note to the United Nations rejecting China's expansive maritime claims in the South China Sea, joining the growing list of nations that have pushed back against Beijing's presumption of "historic rights" to the disputed waters.
- Increasing US excursions into South China Sea aim to contain China: expert Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- US warship's constant excursions into the South China Sea may increase the possibility for military skirmishes with China, and shows that the US is using every arrow in its quiver to contain China, military experts said after the US enhanced its presence in South China Sea region and colluded with Australia and the UK to back its moves.
- China's Mars probe not to compete for space leadership: FM Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- China's Mars probe mission is not designed to compete for space leadership; in fact, the universe is big enough for any country's exploration and cooperation, Wang Wenbin, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Friday.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping Calls on PLA Air Force to Strengthen Drone Warfare Capacity Sputnik 24 Jul 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is calling for future members of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force to come into the armed forces with a "triumphant spirit" as the military accelerates its drone warfare research and training.
- Media speculate on China's possible next generation amphibious assault ship Type 076 Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- A set of procurement request notices released by China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) 708 Institute recently stirred wild speculations among foreign and Chinese media and military enthusiasts about a new type of Chinese amphibious assault ship dubbed Type 076, which is purported to feature electromagnetic catapults, fixed wing aircraft and integrated electric propulsion system.
- Chinese military to hold live-fire exercise in western waters of Leizhou Peninsula PLA Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- Unit 95180, a troop unit of Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), issued a no-sail notice on July 23, saying that the troop is going to hold live-fire shooting exercise in the west sea waters of China's Leizhou Peninsula from July 25 to August 2.
- China urges US to stop vicious attack on its military-civilian integrated policy People's Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- Spokesperson of China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Wang Wenbin said at a regular press conference on July 23rd that China's military-civilian integrated development policy is aimed at effectively integrating military and civilian resources and is aboveboard and blameless. The US should immediately stop deliberate provocations and vicious attacks against China.
- Singapore Citizen Pleads Guilty to Being Illegal Agent of Chinese Gov't, US Justice Dept. Says Sputnik 24 Jul 2020 -- A Singaporean national pleaded guilty on Friday to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government, the US Justice Department said in a press release.
- Singaporean National Pleads Guilty to Acting in the United States as an Illegal Agent of Chinese Intelligence US Dept. of Justice 24 Jul 2020 -- Jun Wei Yeo, also known as Dickson Yeo, entered a plea of guilty today to one count of acting within the United States as an illegal agent of a foreign power without first notifying the Attorney General, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 951. Yeo's plea was entered via videoconference before the Honorable Tanya S. Chutkan in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Chinese Researcher Suspected of Visa Fraud Arrested After Trying to Seek Refuge in Consulate VOA 24 Jul 2020 -- A Chinese cancer researcher accused of hiding her ties with the Chinese military on her visa application was taken into U.S. custody overnight in California.
- Experts denounce Pompeo's 'crazy' speech, warn possible military clash Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- "Cliché" and "crazy" were words experts used to describe US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's latest speech in which he bluntly called on the Chinese people and "free world" countries to "change" the Communist Party of China (CPC). The US is leaning further to a new Cold War with China and escalating McCarthyism to a higher level, experts said, noting that China should remain alert to the possibility of military clashes with the US in the near future.
- Pompeo's speech full of ideological bias, Cold War mentality: Chinese FM Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo maliciously attacked the Communist Party of China (CPC) and China's socialist system, and he made remarks that ignored the facts, were full of ideological bias and turned black into white, which showed his Cold War mentality, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Tensions with US not China's fault: minister Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- The deterioration in bilateral ties between China and the US is a result of moves by the US side, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said when talking to his German counterpart Heiko Maas in a phone call on Friday. The US is trying to slow down China's development and it is using any means it can to achieve the goal, according to a press release from the ministry.
- Chinese FM refutes US' accusation on China's military-civilian integration policy Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry refuted US State Department's accusation that the Communist Party of China (CPC) is utilizing US research and academic institutions and private company to develop Chinese military power.
- Acting Secretary Wolf Establishes China Working Group to Address Intensifying Threat Department of Homeland Security 24 Jul 2020 -- Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad F. Wolf recently hosted the inaugural meeting of the Department's China Working Group. The Group's purpose is to holistically articulate, prioritize, and coordinate the Department's response to evolving threats to the Homeland posed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- Briefing With Senior U.S. Government Officials On the Closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston, Texas US Dept. of State 24 Jul 2020
- China orders US to close consulate in Chengdu city in tit-for-tat move Press TV 24 Jul 2020 -- China has ordered the closure of the US consulate in the southwestern city of Chengdu, in retaliation for Washington's move to shut down the Chinese consulate in Houston earlier this week.
- China's Foreign Ministry Orders US to Close Consulate in Chengdu Sputnik 24 Jul 2020 -- The move comes in retaliaton to the US decision to shut down the Chinese consulate in Houston over accusations of intellectual property theft.
- China Orders Closure of Chengdu Consulate in Retaliation Over Houston Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- China on Friday ordered the closure of the U.S. consulate in the southwestern city of Chengdu, in a tit-for-tat retaliation for the closure of its Houston consulate by Washington.
- China Shutters US Consulate in Chengdu in Retaliation for Houston VOA 24 Jul 2020 -- China has ordered the closure of the U.S. Consulate in Chengdu in retaliation for the U.S. decision to close China's consulate in Houston, Texas, by Friday.
- UPDATE: US consulate in Chengdu given 72 hours to close: source Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- China has ordered the US to shut its consulate in Chengdu, Southwest China's Sichuan Province, in retaliation for the US asking to close China's Consulate General in Houston, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday, which analysts have called "an equivalent and reciprocal countermeasure."
- US loses 'strategic intelligence interests' with closure of Chengdu consulate Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- In the latest round of diplomatic conflict between China and the US, the two sides have each ordered the other to close a consulate general. Experts on China-US relations and intelligence said that the losses for the two sides are generally equivalent, but the closure of the US consulate in Chengdu will cause more strategic losses on the US side as Washington has long used its diplomats in Chengdu to infiltrate Tibet and other regions in Southwest China, interfering in China's domestic affairs.
- Personnel from the US Consulate General in Chengdu engaged in activities inconsistent with their identities: Chinese FM Global Times 24 Jul 2020 -- Some personnel from the US Consulate General in Chengdu have engaged in activities inconsistent with their identities. China has made representations and the US side is fully aware of them, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said in response to a question about the closure of the US Consulate General on Friday morning.
- China informs U.S. to close its Consulate General in Chengdu People's Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday informed the U.S. Embassy in China of its decision to withdraw its consent for the establishment and operation of the U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu.
- China Threatens to End Recognition of BNO Passports of Hong Kong Residents Sputnik 24 Jul 2020 -- Relations between the United Kingdom and the People's Republic of China are turning increasingly sour, as London has introduced new eased routes to citizenship for nearly three million residents of Hong Kong.
- HKSAR gov't deplores Britain's interference in Hong Kong affairs People's Daily 24 Jul 2020 -- Since Britain violates its pledge in the first place, the Chinese foreign ministry has announced that China will consider not recognizing the BNO passport as a valid travel document and reserve the right to take any further measure.
- Wife Says Rights Lawyer Ding Jiaxi Tortured in Shandong Detention Center Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- Concerns are growing over the fate of human rights lawyer Ding Jiaxi, with his wife raising concerns that he may have been tortured during his time in the Linshi Detention Center in the eastern Chinese province of Shandong.
- China to Prosecute Outspoken Property Tycoon Who Criticized Xi Jinping Radio Free Asia 24 Jul 2020 -- Authorities in China have announced they will prosecute property tycoon Ren Zhiqiang after he penned an article highly critical of President Xi Jinping, amid an ongoing crackdown on critics of the Chinese leader.
- After Britain, Germany Emerges as Next 5G Battleground VOA 24 Jul 2020 -- Following Britain's decision to ban Chinese tech firm Huawei from its 5G telecom network, Germany is emerging as the next potential battleground to check China's expansion of influence in world affairs, which is increasingly seen as a serious challenge to democratic institutions worldwide.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list