Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Tibetan Exiles Continue Experiment in Democracy as New Elections Near Radio Free Asia 22 Jul 2020 -- Tibetans living outside of their China-ruled homeland are now preparing for a new round of elections, the third since 2011, to seat a new political leader, or Sikyong, for their India-based government-in-exile as the current
- Chinese top diplomat makes rare criticism of US in meeting with Vietnamese officials Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi, in a rare move, criticized the US twice in a meeting with Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh on Tuesday, which analysts believe sends a clear signal to Vietnam that it should avoid misjudgment on the South China Sea issue.
- Hong Kong to mandate face masks at indoor public places amid worsening epidemic People's Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong will mandate face masks at indoor public places in its latest effort to contain the rapid growth of new COVID-19 cases.
- FM urges US to tell truth over Fort Detrick, refuting Wuhan biolab conspiracy theory Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the US to tell the international community the truth about an infectious disease research lab under the US Army, while refuting the conspiracy theory over the Wuhan biology laboratory, after a US cable triggered rumors that the COVID-19 pandemic may have started from the Wuhan lab.
- Risk of COVID-19 cluster outbreak being contained in Urumqi: local health authorities Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- The risk of COVID-19 cluster outbreak is being contained in Urumqi, capital city of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, according to a local CDC official who reassured local citizens during a press conference held at the disease control and prevention center in Urumqi on Wednesday.
- Beijing reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- Beijing reported no new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- 23 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Wednesday that 23 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Tuesday.
- China's Urumqi conducts citywide COVID-19 tests People's Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- Urumqi, capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, is carrying out free nucleic acid tests for all residents and people who are visiting the city, in a bid to screen for novel coronavirus infections and reduce the risk of the epidemic spread.
- Beijing to reopen cinemas, theaters after months-long closure People's Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- Cinemas in Beijing's low-risk areas for COVID-19 can resume operations on Friday, with effective epidemic prevention measures in place, a local official said on Tuesday.
- Progress in vaccines for coronavirus 'promising' PLA Daily 22 Jul 2020 -- The phase-two clinical trial of the COVID-19 vaccine candidate created by the Academy of Military Medical Sciences and Chinese biotech company CanSino Biologics has found that it is safe and can induce an immune response, according to research published in The Lancet medical journal on Monday.
- China donates medical supplies to Zimbabwe for fighting COVID-19 Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- China on Tuesday donated a consignment of medical supplies to Zimbabwe to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- EU 'To Impose Sanctions' On Russia, China, North Korea Over Cyberattacks RFE/RL 22 Jul 2020 -- European Union ambassadors have given the green light to sanctions on Russia's GRU military intelligence unit, as well as on Chinese and North Korean entities over three separate cyberattacks in recent years.
- Taiwan's Foreign Minister Claims Chinese Aircraft Flying Near Island 'Virtually a Daily Occurrence' Sputnik 22 Jul 2020 -- In recent comments to the press, Taiwanese Foreign Minister Joseph Wu claimed Chinese aircraft flying close to the island's areas of control is "virtually a daily occurrence." However, he failed to mention the US is also sending planes near Chinese airspace close to Taiwan on a daily basis.
- China wants US to improve atmosphere for future dialogues between two militaries Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- When asked about the reaction from the Chinese side toward the latest reports concerning US Defense Secretary Mark Esper saying he hopes to visit China this year amid escalating US-China tensions, particularly on the South China Sea, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson said military relations are an important part of China-US ties.
- PLA shows multi-tasking capabilities in war-readiness and flood relief Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force recently organized an air fleet consisting of early warning aircraft, fighter jets and bombers in a cross-day-and-night strike operation on mock warship targets, a move that experts said on Wednesday showed the PLA is capable of simultaneously contributing to the ongoing flood control and disaster relief missions and safeguarding the country from military threats, as the US rallied India, Japan and Australia for provocative naval drills near China.
- US Orders China to Close Houston Consulate Over Allegations of Spying Radio Free Asia 22 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. has ordered China to shutter its consulate in Houston by Friday citing concerns over espionage, the Department of State said Wednesday, prompting a vow by Beijing to retaliate in kind, as relations between the two superpowers hit a new low.
- US Shut China's Houston Consulate in Retaliation for Intellectual Property Theft, Pompeo Says VOA 22 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. ordered the Chinese Consulate in Houston, Texas, shut down because of the persistent problem of Bejing's theft of U.S. intellectual property, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday.
- US Orders China to Shut Down Texas Consulate Office VOA 22 Jul 2020 -- The United States has ordered the Chinese consulate in the southwestern U.S. city of Houston, Texas to shut down.
- China to Respond With 'Necessary Actions' If Houston Consulate Decision Not Reversed Sputnik 22 Jul 2020 -- The Embassy of the People's Republic of China to the US said on Wednesday that Washington's sudden decision to close the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas, was "erroneous" and "a political provocation unilaterally launched by the US side," pledging to respond.
- China Considers Closing US Consulate in Wuhan, Reports Claim Sputnik 22 Jul 2020 -- Earlier in the day, the Global Times editor-in-chief wrote on Twitter that the US government had ordered the closure of China's Consulate General in Houston. The US State Department said that move was aimed to 'protect American intellectual property'.
- US Orders China to Shut Down its Houston, Texas Consulate in 72 Hours Sputnik 22 Jul 2020 -- The Global Times' editor-in-chief had claimed earlier that Washington asked Beijing to close down one of its five consulates in the country, specifically, the one located in Houston, Texas. The Chinese Foreign Ministry later confirmed this report.
- Update: China's countermeasures to cause the US real pain over closure order of Chinese Consulate General in Houston Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday strongly condemned the US for asking China to close its Consulate General in Houston, a reckless and dangerous move which analysts said will further flare up tensions between the two largest economies in the world.
- China says US 'abruptly' ordered closure of consulate in Houston Press TV 22 Jul 2020 -- China says the United States government has "abruptly" informed Beijing that it has to close its consulate in the Texan city of Houston, calling Washington's decision "political provocation."
- China Embraces BLM in America, Objects to BLM Discussion at Home VOA 22 Jul 2020 -- China's state media is accusing a local U.S. consulate of "attempting to incite unrest among Africans in Guangzhou" after the Americans hosted a discussion on the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement last weekend.
- US-led anti-China alliance set for all-out failure Global Times 22 Jul 2020 -- The latest US attempt to build a "global anti-China alliance" is doomed to fail as Western countries don't share its policy toward China. China needs to convince the rest of the world by enhancing opening-up and reform, and be more responsible on international issues where the US is giving up its leadership and embraces unilateralism, said Chinese analysts, after the top US diplomat pressured the UK to further offend China.
- China Seizes Billionaire's Assets Worth Around 1.2 Trillion Yuan Radio Free Asia 22 Jul 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party has taken over an investment conglomerate run by kidnapped billionaire Xiao Jianhua amid allegations of unauthorized lending, as General Secretary Xi Jinping announced moves to strengthen the domestic economy.
- Xinjiang Authorities Instruct Residents to Mislead Investigators Over Population Controls Radio Free Asia 22 Jul 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) are preparing local residents for visits with outside "inspectors" by ordering them to disavow knowledge of "family planning" policies targeting Uyghurs that a recent report equated to genocide, according to sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list