Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 July 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Millions of Taiwanese Could be at Risk From China's Draconian Security Law: DPP Radio Free Asia 03 Jul 2020 -- A top official in Taiwan's ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has warned the island's 23 million residents to think carefully before traveling to Hong Kong or China in the wake of Hong Kong's draconian national security law, which targets acts or speech seen as subversive by China anywhere in the world, as the U.S. upgrades its military commitment to the island's defense.
- China Puts Hardliner in Charge of Hong Kong's New State Security Operation Radio Free Asia 03 Jul 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party on Friday appointed a former mayor who cracked down on the rebel village of Wukan to head its national security office in Hong Kong.
- Canada Expresses 'Serious Concern' About New Hong Kong Law, Suspends Extradition Treaty With Region Sputnik 03 Jul 2020 -- On Tuesday, Beijing's top legislative body, the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), passed a new national security law for Hong Kong that is seen by residents of the Special Administrative Region as a violation of their liberties. The legislation was signed by Chinese President Xi Jinping later in the day.
- Beijing probes 3 men for violating quarantine rules Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- Three men in Beijing have been placed under investigation for allegedly violating quarantine rules, including one who concealed his travel history to the Xinfadi wholesale market. The market is being linked to the recent COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing that has seen over 300 cases since June.
- China taking no chances of a second COVID-19 wave: CNN People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- China isn't taking any chances of a second wave gripping the country, wrote CNN on June 29.
- China sees more patients recovering from COVID-19: official People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- A total of 60 COVID-19 patients have been cured and discharged from hospitals during the past week in China, 46 percent more than the previous week, a health official said Friday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- No newly confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected cases of COVID-19 were reported in central China's Hubei Province Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Beijing reports 2 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- Beijing reported two new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday that it received reports of five newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Thursday, of which two were domestically transmitted.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported three new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,923, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- 12 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- Twelve COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Thursday, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China demands faster turnaround time for COVID-19 test results People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- China has requested its medical institutions to cut the turnaround time for COVID-19 nucleic acid test results to a maximum of 24 hours, according to an official circular released on Thursday.
- China rejects US criticism of military drills in South China Sea Press TV 03 Jul 2020 -- China has rejected the United States' criticism of its military exercises in the South China Sea, saying the maneuvers are within the scope of the Asian country's sovereignty.
- UN rights office expresses alarm at Hong Kong arrests under new security law UN News 03 Jul 2020 -- The UN human rights office, OHCHR, has expressed alarm at the arrest of demonstrators in Hong Kong, following China's adoption of a national security law for the Special Administrative Region (SAR).
- Hong Kong Activist Calls for Help in Standing Up to China VOA 03 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Nathan Law is calling on the international community to stand up to the authoritarianism of China's President Xi Jinping and put human rights above financial gain.
- In Hong Kong, China Threatens to Snuff Out Press Freedom VOA 03 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's status as one of Asia's most thriving press hubs appears to be on life support with the onset of a new national security law imposed by China on the semi-autonomous territory this week.
- China activates security deputies Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- After the Chinese central government unveiled a series of appointments on Friday for two government bodies to safeguard national security in Hong Kong - a major step in finalizing the law enforcement mechanism under the newly enacted national security law - the role of the central government's liaison office in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has been further boosted, which shows that the central government bears the fundamental responsibility for national security matters in the city.
- UPDATE: Guangdong Party veteran Zheng Yanxiong appointed as head of central govt's office for safeguarding national security in HK Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- China's central government announced on Friday that Zheng Yanxiong, a member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China Guangdong Provincial Committee, will lead the office for safeguarding national security of the central government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), finalizing law-enforcement mechanisms and fulfilling the central government's ultimate responsibilities over national security matters in the city.
- Liaison office director Luo Huining appointed national security advisor to HK Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- China's central government has appointed Luo Huining as national security advisor to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) committee for safeguarding national security. Luo will provide guidance on national security matters and serve as a key bridge in coordination work between central and regional authorities.
- First case violating Hong Kong national security law brought to court Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- Following the establishment of a law enforcement agency under the new national security law for Hong Kong, a 24-year-old man who on Wednesday hit three police officers with a motorcycle was on Friday charged of instigating secessionist and terrorist activities. It is the first case involving a violation of the national security law for Hong Kong.
- Appointing Luo signals central govt's liaison office in HK will have stronger influence: senior advisor Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- The appointment to the new national security agencies in Hong Kong signaled that the central government's liaison office in the city will have a stronger influence and that it is the central government's detailed, long-term plan, instead of a quick decision, a senior advisor to the central government on Hong Kong policies said on Friday.
- Foreign judges not excluded from national security cases: HK's Chief Justice Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- Judges of foreign nationalities will not be excluded when Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam appoints judges to hear cases and appeals involving the national security law for Hong Kong, said Geoffrey Ma Tao-li, the Chief Justice of Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal.
- American firms welcome to continue operating in Hong Kong: FM Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- China welcomes companies from all over the world, including those from the US, to continue to operate and develop in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), expressing the hope of jointly building up the international financial hub, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Newly passed national security law a seawall safeguarding long-term prosperity, stability of Hong Kong People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- The Law of the People's Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) adopted on June 30 by the Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, has established a seawall safeguarding the long-term prosperity and stability of Hong Kong.
- China appoints adviser to Committee for Safeguarding National Security of HKSAR People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- China's State Council on Friday announced that Luo Huining was appointed as national security adviser to the Committee for Safeguarding National Security of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- State Council appoints officials for central gov't national security office in HKSAR People's Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- The State Council on Friday appointed Zheng Yanxiong as head of the Office for Safeguarding National Security of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Committee for Safeguarding National Security of HKSAR established PLA Daily 03 Jul 2020 -- The Committee for Safeguarding National Security of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) was established on Friday as required by the national security law, a HKSAR government spokesperson said.
- Head of national security office in HK soon 'to be announced' Global Times 03 Jul 2020 -- Government agencies newly established in accordance with the national security law for Hong Kong will soon be activated, as the secretary-general for the national security committee in Hong Kong has been appointed, and observers said that the head of the central government's national security office in Hong Kong will also be announced very soon, as the need for law enforcement is urgent.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list