Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Hong Kong Security Law Shows Failure of 'One Country, Two Systems': Taiwan Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2020 -- Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen said Beijing had failed Hong Kong with the imposition on Tuesday of a sweeping national security law on the city banning a slew of offenses targeting anyone who challenges the ruling Communist Party's political and ideological supremacy.
- US' Pompeo Denounces China's 'Draconian' Security Law, Pledges to Defend Hong Kong's Freedoms Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday denounced China's new national security law for Hong Kong and pledged to defend the city's freedoms.
- On Beijing's Imposition of National Security Legislation on Hong Kong US Dept. of State 30 Jun 2020 -- "The Chinese Communist Party's decision to impose draconian national security legislation on Hong Kong destroys the territory's autonomy and one of China's greatest achievements."
- Hong Kong Activists React to China's National Security Law VOA 30 Jun 2020 -- Several civic groups in Hong Kong announced that they would disband on Tuesday, hours after China's legal body passed the new national security law for Hong Kong.
- Chinese Scientists Discover New H1N1 Virus Strain That Could Infect Humans VOA 30 Jun 2020 -- Scientists in China have identified a new strain of a flu virus in pigs that has the potential to infect humans and lead to a new pandemic.
- Experts reassure public over risk of pandemic caused by swine flu Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- Chinese researchers have issued an early warning over another potential pandemic caused by an influenza virus in pigs, coming after the COVID-19, but disease control experts said the public should not overreact and hog farms have shown no signs of related disease.
- Coronavirus has not mutated, good for vaccine development: China's chief epidemiologist Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- Global monitoring of the novel coronavirus shows that the virus has not mutated, which is a good sign for the research and development ofvaccines, according to Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- All deliverymen in Beijing test negative for coronavirus Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- All deliverymen in Beijing have undergone nucleic acid tests and the results show they are clear of coronavirus, according to the State Post Bureau.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- No newly confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected cases of COVID-19 were reported in central China's Hubei Province Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 19 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday it received reports of 19 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including eight domestically transmitted and 11 imported ones.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 11 new imported COVID-19 cases Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,918, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Over one million service workers in Beijing receive COVID-19 tests People's Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- A total of 1.18 million service practitioners from wet markets, restaurants, supermarkets, stores, hair and beauty salons as well as couriers and food delivery personnel in Beijing have received nucleic acid tests for COVID-19, local authorities said on Monday.
- China donates medical equipment to Thailand to stem COVID-19 Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday expressed his gratitude via the Thai media for China's donation of a batch of medical equipment to fight the COVID-19 outbreak in Thailand.
- Indian and Chinese Army Commanders Meet to Defuse Ongoing Tension at Border Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- After the unprecedented face-off between Indian and Chinese armies in Ladakh's Galwan Valley on 15 June, both New Delhi and Beijing have been trying to diffuse tensions at the border through army-to-army engagements and diplomacy.
- China's new-generation fighter jet scheduled to make maiden flight in 2021: report Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- China's new-generation fighter jet is scheduled to make its maiden flight in 2021, an aviation industry report revealed on Monday. Analysts speculate that it will be China's new aircraft carrier-based fighter jet.
- China's Yun-20 large transport aircraft holds great potential PLA Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 epidemic, China's domestically developed Yun-20 large transport aircraft has carried out missions abroad for many times, successively delivering anti-epidemic supplies to Pakistan, Thailand and other countries. Recently, it made its maiden flight to Russia to transport the PLA Guard of Honor to participate in the military parade staged in Moscow's Red Square. Military expert Chen Hong said that in the future, the Yun-20 transport aircraft is sure to significantly improve the combat capability of the PLA troops.
- Hong Kong's Security Law Takes Effect as China Unveils Sweeping Definitions Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday signed a presidential order to impose draconian security legislation on Hong Kong, with effect from 11.00 p.m. local time, an hour before the July 1 handover anniversary.
- China Passes Draconian Security Law For Hong Kong, Opposition Groups Disband Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2020 -- China on Tuesday approved draconian new security legislation for Hong Kong banning activities deemed subversive or secessionist, paving the way for its feared state security police to operate in the city.
- China Legislature Passes National Security Law For Hong Kong - Reports Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislative body approved a national security law on Tuesday for Hong Kong that will bring China's feared state security police to the city and criminalize secession, subversion, terrorism, and collusion with foreign forces, Hong Kong media reports said.
- China's Approval of Hong Kong Security Law Sparks Widespread Jitters VOA 30 Jun 2020 -- China's legislature has passed a controversial national security law for Hong Kong that is causing widespread jitters among activists and ordinary citizens. Passage of the law has prompted several activist groups to immediately close while individuals delete social media posts out of fear that the new measures could send them to jail.
- China's President Xi signs Hong Kong national security bill into law Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has signed a landmark national security bill for Hong Kong into law.
- China ratifies Hong Kong security law; US suspends territory's preferential exports Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese parliament's top decision-making body has approved a new national security law for Hong Kong, nearly 40 days after the semi-autonomous city's legislature passed the Beijing-proposed bill.
- China's national security legislation for Hong Kong: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCO 30 Jun 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab comments following the passage of national security legislation for Hong Kong through the National People's Congress in Beijing.
- Natl security law for HK to cut off the 'dark hands' of Taiwan DPP creating trouble in HK: Taiwan Affairs Office Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- The Taiwan separatist authority, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), made irresponsible criticism of the national security law for HK, and this has revealed its toxic purpose - making trouble in Hong Kong and realizing its separatist goal: Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council
- Beijing's move shows 'one country, two systems' not feasible: Tsai CNA 30 Jun 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Tuesday expressed dismay over China's passage of a national security law for Hong Kong, saying Beijing has broken its pledge to Hong Kong to let it maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years.
- Natl security law for HK takes effect soon, gives 'final say' to central govt agency Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- China's top lawmakers on Tuesday voted unanimously to enact a draft law to safeguard national security in Hong Kong at the 20th session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee, which ended on Tuesday afternoon in Beijing. Chinese President Xi Jinping signed a presidential decree unveiling the law.
- Chinese Parliament Unanimously Passes National Security Law for Hong Kong - Reports Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- The legislation, supported by Hong Kong leadership, caused protests in the city, as some residents saw it as undermining their liberties. It also drew criticism and sanctions from the United States, despite Beijing repeatedly stating that the matter of Hong Kong is the nation's internal affair and should not be interfered with.
- HK chief executive urges international community to respect need for national security law Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's Chief Executive Carrie Lam said at the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday that the national security law for Hong Kong will not undermine the city's judiciary or autonomy, and urged the international community to respect the mainland's right to safeguard its national security.
- HKSAR prepared for shocks from suspension of preferential status Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- China will take "necessary countermeasures" to firmly protect its national interests after the wrongful move by the US to revoke the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)'s special status in a bid to pressure China to drop its new National Security Law, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told a routine press conference on Tuesday.
- HK extremists, secessionists flee, disband groups after security law passed Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- The deterrent effect of the National Security Law for Hong Kong has begun to show, as several secessionist leaders in Hong Kong have either left Hong Kong or disbanded their pro-secession groups on Tuesday, hours after China's top legislature voted to pass the law, analysts said.
- Impact of legislation on 'yellow economy' demonstrates HK secessionists' political farce Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- Cafés and retail shops that publicly supported secessionists in Hong Kong are now playing it safe by making a clear break from the separatist forces, after the national security law for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) was passed on Tuesday morning.
- China's President Xi Jinping Signs Hong Kong National Security Law Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislative body, the standing committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), voted unanimously in support of the new national security law on Hong Kong on Tuesday, the official China Central Television (CCTV) reported.
- Carrie Lam Assures Newly-Passed National Security Law Won't Undermine Hong Kong's Autonomy Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- Earlier in the day, Chinese legislators passed the law, which, according to Beijing, is designed for the purpose of safeguarding China's national security in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Party Demosisto Disbanded as Security Law Reportedly Passes Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- The Demosisto political party, which advocated for self-determination in Hong Kong has announced that it was disbanding in light of the new national security law.
- Joshua Wong's Hong Kong Opposition Group Disbands as Foreign Funding Dries Up Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- A National Security Law introduced by Beijing in Hong Kong has been met with widespread condemnation by foreign governments including the United States and the United Kingdom. The opposition groups, who have made repeated overtures for funding external powers, have coincidentally collapsed as the legislation comes in.
- Beijing Vows Retaliation for US Removing Preferential Treatment for Hong Kong Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- The warning comes on the heels of reports that lawmakers in mainland China had approved a contentious security law which will allow authorities to crack down on subversion, secession, terrorism or foreign collusion in the semi-autonomous territory. The law met with opposition in Hong Kong and several Western countries, including the United States.
- Pompeo 'lying through his teeth' on Xinjiang affairs: Chinese FM Global Times 30 Jun 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who claimed that China is trying to reduce Uygur births using IUDs, abortion and sterilization, is "lying through his teeth," said a spokesperson from China's Foreign Ministry (FM) on Tuesday.
- China to impose visa restrictions on U.S. individuals acting maliciously on HK-related issues People's Daily 30 Jun 2020 -- China has decided to impose visa restrictions on U.S. individuals who have acted maliciously on issues related to Hong Kong, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- Chinese Company Hails Breakthrough Oilfield Discovery Amid Hopes to Shake Off Reliance on Imports Sputnik 30 Jun 2020 -- China has been hoping to lessen its dependence on oil and gas imports amid a global economy battered by the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, plummeting demand and nosediving crude prices.
- North Korean Workers Stranded in China After Being Idled by COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 29 Jun 2020 -- Large numbers of North Korean workers are stranded in China–made jobless by the coronavirus, but unable to return home until they meet hard currency quotas set by the government in Pyongyang that exports their labor and takes more than 90 percent of their wages.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list