Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Xinfadi's beef and lamb market labelled as 'extremely high risk area' Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- A total of 102 cases out of all 311 confirmed cases in Beijing were related to Xinfadi's beef and lamb market, thus the area was labelled by health experts as extremely high risk with another 14-day quarantine being imposed on people who are connected to this specially designated area.
- Disobeying COVID-19 prevention measures to be made illegal Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- China is mulling an amendment to the country's criminal law that would criminalize activities that impede measures aimed at preventing the spread of the coronavirus, according to media reports.
- Beijing reports COVID-19 infection chains at 2 restaurants Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing registered 14 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday, two of which are employees at two diners in the city's Haidian and Fengtai districts and both are related to previous cases detected in the diners, according to an official from the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control (Beijing CDC).
- 7.68 million people received nucleic acid testing in Beijing: health authority Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing had taken samples from 8.29 million of its residents as of Sunday, of which 7.68 million completed nucleic acid testing, meaning that 38.4 percent of the capital's total population has been tested for coronavirus.
- The hybrid testing modes do not impact the sensitivity of COVID-19 nucleic acid tests: national health authority Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- China's national health authority said the country's "hybrid test" method, used throughout Wuhan and in Beijing's large-scale COVID-19 screening sites, should not impact the sensibility of the tests.
- Xiongan New Area locks down county amid COVID-19 resurgence in Beijing Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Xiongan New Area has announced to lock down a county amid COVID-19 resurgence in Beijing.
- Chinese company unveils positive results of COVID-19 vaccines Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- An institute of biological products in Beijing affiliated with the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) announced on Sunday that it had achieved positive results for a COVID-19 vaccine candidate it developed.
- Beijing tests 100, 000 students and faculty in 36 hours Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- More than 100,000 students, faculty and staff at Beijing's universities will have competed nucleic acid testing on Sunday, after a widespread COVID-19 testing operation was conducted within 36 hours, involving 20 medical institutions.
- Beijing issues fresh guidelines on COVID-19 prevention Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese capital has issued fresh guidelines on COVID-19 containment, calling on its residents to continue to wear masks, maintain social distancing and wash hands frequently.
- Beijing reports 14 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 14 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic cases Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported three new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,902, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Seven COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Seven COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday it received reports of 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including 14 domestically transmitted and three imported ones.
- Beijing issues fresh guidelines on COVID-19 prevention People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese capital has issued fresh guidelines on COVID-19 containment, calling on its residents to continue to wear masks, maintain social distancing and wash hands frequently.
- India's wishful thinking an illusion as PLA is prepared on all fronts Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- As senior Indian military officers are expecting a prolonged standoff in the China-India border region with the US reportedly voicing support for India, the Chinese military is demonstrating high military readiness on all fronts, as the intensive, simultaneous military exercises in the South China Sea, near Taiwan island and near the China-India border show India's wishful thinking of taking advantage of US support is merely an illusion, Chinese analysts said Sunday.
- India Deploys Quick Reaction Air Defence System Amid Raging Chinese Jets, Helicopters Near Ladakh Sputnik 28 Jun 2020 -- India and China are engaged in massive deployments of troops, artillery, and heavy vehicles in the Ladakh region, including the Depsang Plains - very close to the Karakoram Pass. While the Indian Army has claimed that there was a "mutual consensus" on disengagement on 22 June, the military build-up continues by both sides.
- The Art Of The Trilateral Deal? U.S. Nuke Agreement With Russia, China Proving Difficult RFE/RL 28 Jun 2020 -- While the United States and Russia were satisfied after their jump-started nuclear talks in Vienna on June 22, Washington was clearly disappointed that China rejected its special invitation.
- Australia wages espionage offensive against China: source Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Australia is waging an intensifying espionage offensive against China - sending agents to China to spy, gather intelligence and recruit assets, instigating defection among Chinese nationals, spying on Chinese students and organizations in Australia, feeding fake news to media to hype up the "China espionage theory" and even in early years attempting to install wiretaps in the Chinese Embassy in Canberra, the Global Times has learned from a source with a Chinese law-enforcement agency.
- Chinese military reveals rifle-sized railgun prototypes Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has miniaturized an electromagnetic railgun and developed pistol- and rifle-sized synchronous induction coilgun prototypes. These weapons' technical capabilities were recently revealed to the general public for the first time in a demonstration session.
- PLA army aviation brigade conducts live-fire exercise off China's southeast coast PLA Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Recently, an army aviation brigade under the PLA 73rd Group Army organized a round-the-clock live-fire exercise off China's southeast coast with multiple types of aircraft and ammunitions involved, aiming to improve the maritime all-dimensional penetration and strike capacities of the army aviation forces.
- Top legislators to vote on national security law for HK Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature is expected to be in the final stage of voting to enact the highly expected national security law for Hong Kong, which has already shown its strong deterrent effect, in order to put an end to subversive and riotous acts that have caused an unprecedented recession in Asia's former premier financial hub.
- National security bill for HK reviewed at NPC session Sunday morning: HK deputy Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- The national security bill for Hong Kong was reviewed at a session of China's top legislature on Sunday morning, a Hong Kong deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC) confirmed with the Global Times.
- Commentary: Playing "Hong Kong card" gets the U.S. nowhere People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- On June 25, the U.S. Senate passed the "Hong Kong Autonomy Act", attempting to hinder Hong Kong's legislation on safeguarding national security through imposing sanctions.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest 53 Protesters During Latest Unsanctioned Demonstration Sputnik 28 Jun 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested 53 protesters on Sunday during a unsanctioned demonstration in the Mong Kok region of the city, according to a press release.
- China to Canada: Stop megaphone diplomacy over arrests made with solid evidence Press TV 28 Jun 2020 -- China says evidence against two Canadian citizens arrested for espionage is solid, rejecting public statements by Canadian officials that the two are being held "arbitrarily."
- China Plows Ahead with High-Speed Rail Line for Southeast Asia VOA 28 Jun 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic sweeping the globe looks to have done little, at least in Laos, to slow China's grand plans for a high-speed rail line linking its landlocked interior to the bustling ports of Singapore through mainland Southeast Asia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list