Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Energy Security Concerns and US Tensions May Boost Demand for High-Polluting Fuel in China Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2020 -- As China tries to rescue its economy from the pandemic crisis, the government is likely to respond with support for more consumption of domestic coal, analysts say.
- China Becoming Concern for U.S. Commanders in Europe DoD News 26 Jun 2020 -- It seems counter-intuitive, but China is increasingly a concern for the commander of U.S. Naval Forces in Europe and Africa and NATO's Allied Joint Force Command.
- China Resumes Dredging at Woody Island in the Paracels Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2020 -- China is dredging in a bay at Woody Island, its biggest settlement in the South China Sea, likely to expand the artificial island's northwest corner, satellite imagery shows.
- Foreign Diplomats Given Staged 'Tour' of Tibetan Areas in Sichuan Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2020 -- A tour of Tibetan areas given recently to foreign diplomats by authorities in western China fell short of showing a true picture of conditions faced by Tibetans living under Beijing's rule, an advocacy group said this week.
- Lao Residents Chafe at Chinese-Language Signs at Construction Sites, SEZs Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2020 -- Lao residents are voicing increasing annoyance at the appearance in the country of signboards at business places and building sites written only in Chinese, seeing them as a sign of their powerful northern neighbor's growing economic influence in the impoverished one-party communist state.
- Chinese Citizen Convicted of Economic Espionage, Theft of Trade Secrets, and Conspiracy US Dept. of Justice 26 Jun 2020 -- Defendant Stole from U.S. Companies to Benefit Instrumentality of the Chinese Government
- Pompeo: US imposes visa restrictions on Chinese officials Press TV 26 Jun 2020 -- The US has imposed visa restrictions on Chinese officials for allegedly infringing on Hong Kong's autonomy.
- China donates COVID-19 protective facilities to Tanzanian schools Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Tanzania on Thursday donated COVID-19 protective facilities to 100 primary and secondary schools in the country's Dar es Salaam Region.
- Two of Beijing's COVID-19 cases infected from a public toilet Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- Two people infected with COVID-19 confirmed on June 20 did not go to Xinfadi market's surrounding area, but instead contracted the virus using a public toilet, BTV reported on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,895, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- HK govt objects US human trafficking report, calling it groundless, illogical Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The government of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (SAR) issued a strong-worded statement on Friday in response to the Trafficking in Persons Report by the US, calling the report "based on hearsays" and "illogical."
- India admits amassing troops near site of deadly fighting with China Press TV 26 Jun 2020 -- India has deployed hundreds of troops near the site of recent deadly border clashes with China, in what it says came in response to China's military deployment to the Himalayan border region.
- 'Did China Encroach Our Land?' India's Congress Nudges Prime Minister Modi Over Ladakh Conflict Sputnik 26 Jun 2020 -- In an unprecedented turn of events, Indian and Chinese armies fought each other at a disputed territory in eastern Ladakh on 15 June. India lost 20 soldiers, including an officer, while there has been confirmation about any casualties on the Chinese side. Both sides have blamed each other for the violent face-off.
- India Accuses China of Amassing Large Number of Arms, Troops Near Line of Actual Control Since May Sputnik 26 Jun 2020 -- On Wednesday, the Indian army claimed to have agreed to disengage its troops along the Line of Actual Control after several diplomatic and military level talks with China. However, alleged satellite images show that China has moved thousands of troops, artillery units, and armoured vehicles to a new area of northern Ladakh.
- How Indonesia is Setting Limits for China's Maritime Expansion in Asia VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- Indonesia declined this month to negotiate with China over a tract of sea where Beijing says it should have usage rights.
- Another Chinese military plane spotted entering Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 26 Jun 2020 -- Another Chinese military aircraft has been spotted entering Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Friday, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- PLA flies aircraft to Taiwan, both US and Taiwan military activities targeted Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- For the eighth time in June, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly sent military aircraft to Taiwan's southwestern "airspace" on Friday.
- Kazkah Police Detain Men Picketing Chinese Embassy Over Detained Relatives In Xinjiang RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- Police have detained two men who staged separate pickets outside the Chinese Embassy in Kazakhstan's capital, Nur-Sultan, demanding the release of relatives being held in custody in China's northwestern Xinjiang region.
- The Chinese Communist Party's Ideology and Global Ambitions The White House 26 Jun 2020
- Independent UN rights experts call for decisive measures to protect 'fundamental freedoms' in China UN News 26 Jun 2020 -- The repression of "fundamental freedoms" by the Chinese Government prompted nearly 50 UN independent experts on Friday to express their continuing alarm, urging the country to "abide by its international legal obligations".
- With national security bill around the corner, HK secessionists change course Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- Anson Chan Fang On-sang, Hong Kong's former chief secretary, a stern advocate for the so-called "democratic reforms" in Hong Kong and a key figure believed to have played a role in the city's unrest, said on Friday that she will be stepping back from political and civil engagements in the future.
- Hong Kong Journalist Groups Appeal to UN Over Police Violence Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2020 -- Journalists' associations in Hong Kong have written to the United Nations calling for help to end police violence against them.
- U.S. Department of State Imposes Visa Restrictions on Chinese Communist Party Officials for Undermining Hong Kong's High Degree of Autonomy and Restricting Human Rights US Dept. of State 26 Jun 2020 -- "President Trump promised to punish the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officials who were responsible for eviscerating Hong Kong's freedoms. Today, we are taking action to do just that."
- Hong Kong Activist Believes He's Main Target of Proposed National Security Law VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong said he is anticipating being the prime target of a controversial proposed national security law that could be voted on within a few days.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list