Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese medical team wraps up COVID-19 combating mission in Bangladesh Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- A team of Chinese medical experts sent by the Chinese government concluded its COVID-19 combating mission in Bangladesh on Monday.
- Beijing deliveryman who sends 50 orders per day confirmed with COVID-19 Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- A deliveryman from China's leading food delivery platform ele.me in Beijing was confirmed to be infected with COVID-19, the first case in the food delivery industry to have been confirmed in the capital, sparking widespread public concerns as residents rely heavily on delivery services for necessities amid the epidemic.
- Fear of community transmission rises in Beijing Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- After COVID-19 patients having no relationship to the Xinfadi market were detected in Beijing, fear of community transmission has been rising in the city, even though health experts believe the latest outbreak has reached a plateau.
- New kit to be used for secondary testing of Beijing's key clusters after isolation Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- Beijing will arrange a second test for key clusters who are about to be released from medical observation, as the epidemic situation in the capital city is still grim and complex. Virologists revealed that new high-accuracy testing kits are being used.
- Beijing epidemic not second outbreak, cases likely to drop: top expert People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Yang Gonghuan, former vice director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told the Global Times on Monday that the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in Beijing is on a small scale and not the start of second wave of the epidemic, adding that the cases will continue to decline.
- Hong Kong reports 30 new COVID-19 cases, 1,161 in total People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported on Monday 30 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19, taking the total in Hong Kong to 1,161.
- Chinese mainland reports 22 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that it received reports of 22 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, of whom 13 were domestically transmitted and nine were imported.
- Beijing takes measures to intensify epidemic prevention People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has rolled out various measures to build a solid line of defense in the battle against the COVID-19 epidemic by plugging the loopholes in epidemic response and raising the standards of epidemic control.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new imported COVID-19 cases Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,885, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 13 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 13 newly confirmed domestically-transmitted COVID-19 cases, two suspected cases and one asymptomatic case on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- COVID-19 'contained' as new cases drop in Beijing People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has effectively kept the coronavirus outbreak from spreading and new local cases are decreasing as the capital uses multiple measures to reduce infections, a senior municipal official said on Monday.
- Beijing tightens COVID-19 screening on construction sites People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Authorities in Beijing said on Monday they had launched a blanket search and testing campaign among the city's construction sites, where three confirmed COVID-19 cases emerged.
- Diplomats, military work to cool tension Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- Recent frequent communications between China and India through both military and diplomatic channels show that the two sides, which have a mature mechanism to resolve border disputes, are willing to de-escalate tensions after the June 15 clash, Chinese analysts said.
- China says agrees with India to ease tensions on contested border after deadly clashes Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- China and India have reached an agreement to defuse border tensions, days after their deadliest clashes in more than half a century on the disputed Himalayan border claimed the lives of 20 Indian troopers in fierce hand-to-hand fighting.
- India, China Reach 'Mutual Consensus' to Disengage From All Friction Points in Ladakh Sputnik 23 Jun 2020 -- Earlier, clashes between India and China erupted in the small disputed area where the Indian region of Ladakh borders China's Aksai Chin region.
- Territorial Claims of New Delhi, Beijing Remain Unchanged After Long Talks - Indian Army Source Sputnik 23 Jun 2020 -- India and China have finished a meeting on the level of corps commanders with not much deviation in their stances on conflicting territorial claims amid a recent escalation on the borderline, a source in the Indian army said on Monday.
- Beijing Slams Reports of 40 Chinese Casualties From Recent Skirmish With India as 'Fake News' Sputnik 23 Jun 2020 -- Earlier in the day, the Indian Army said in a statement that talks between New Delhi and Beijing that were held on 22 June were held in a cordial, positive and constructive atmosphere, and finished with a mutual consensus to disengage.
- India, China Agree to Cool Border Tensions VOA 23 Jun 2020 -- India and China have agreed to cool tensions along their disputed Himalayan border following their worst border clash in 50 years that left 20 Indian soldiers dead.
- South China Sea Surveys Pressure Claimants, Mine Info With Military Use Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2020 -- China has increased its tempo of deep sea surveys in the South China Sea, worrying claimant states and other nations. Experts say that the mapping of the sea floor is a pressure tactic in disputed waters and could help China's Navy in monitoring submarine traffic.
- U.S. Pushes For Broadening Of New START Treaty, Pushes For China To Join Accord RFE/RL 23 Jun 2020 -- The United States has pushed for a broadening of the main agreement to control nuclear arms with Russia as it pushes for China to join the talks.
- China completes BDS navigation system, reduces reliance on GPS Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- Carrying the last satellite of China's domestically developed BeiDou Navigation Satellite System, or BDS, the Long March-3B launch vehicle blasted off from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center Tuesday morning.
- China launches last BDS satellite to complete global navigation constellation PLA Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- China launched the last satellite of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) on Tuesday, marking the completion of the deployment of its own global navigation system.
- China Quietly Shipping Grain to North Korea, Port Sources Say Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2020 -- Ships carrying grain labelled as "construction materials" have been sailing from a northeastern Chinese port to nearby North Korea, dockworkers told RFA, describing a secret operation run at night kept to avoid international scrutiny.
- China derides US move to place Chinese flags at empty seats in nuclear talks with Russia Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- China says a move by the United States to place Chinese flags at a table of nuclear arms control negotiations with Russia was an act of "performance art."
- Fear, lack of confidence push US to restrict Chinese media Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- The latest US restrictions on Chinese media that saw the listing of four more Chinese media outlets as foreign missions exposed its declining confidence and increasing fear of China, after the media's objective reports on China's effective fight against COVID-19 showed a stark contrast to US failures. Chinese experts said China should take reciprocal actions by limiting US media and implementing countermeasures.
- FM slams US envoy's tweet, urges US to stop playing 'boring tricks' on arms control talks Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- The US should stop playing boring tricks, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Tuesday when asked for comments on tweets by US Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control Marshall Billingslea that showed China's national flag on the desks for US-Russian military negotiations, which China is not scheduled to attend.
- Xi eyes more stable, mature China-EU ties in post-pandemic era People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday met via video link with President of the European Council Charles Michel and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen.
- Natl security law won't affect judges' appointments in HK: Carrie Lam Global Times 23 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam reiterated that the national security law for Hong Kong will not affect the region's judicial independence, clarifying that the current appointment procedure for judges will not change for national security cases.
- National security legislation crucial to stability, order in Hong Kong: Carrie Lam People's Daily 23 Jun 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Monday that the national security legislation for the HKSAR is crucial to restoring constitutional order, maintaining stability, and supporting corporate and individual confidence in Hong Kong.
- China threatens to retaliate against US curbs on Chinese outlets Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- China has threatened to retaliate against the new restrictions imposed by the United States on four Chinese media outlets.
- Chinese Police Formally Arrest Dissident Who Told President to Step Down Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2020 -- China's state security police have formally arrested dissident Xu Zhiyong for subversion after he called publicly on President Xi Jinping to resign.
- Police Warn Against Posting Footage, Reports of Massive Flooding in China's Chongqing Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2020 -- Authorities in flood-hit southwestern China have prevented state-controlled media from reporting on the true extent of flood damage alongside Yangtze river districts in and around the megacity of Chongqing, RFA has learned.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list