Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese medical expert team visits COVID-19 epicenter in Palestine People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- A Chinese medical team on Saturday visited the West Bank city of Bethlehem, the epicenter of COVID-19 in Palestinian territories.
- South Sudan officials praise China's battle against COVID-19 People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- South Sudanese officials have applauded China's domestic and global efforts in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Beijing reports 51 virus cases Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reacted swiftly after a total of 51 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported as of Sunday, taking measures including expanding nucleic acid testing, strengthening management of residential communities in seriously affected districts and starting epidemiological investigations after a cluster of cases was uncovered at the city's largest wholesale food market.
- Seafood markets come under spotlight amid Beijing's new outbreak Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- With infections related to a Beijing food wholesale market hitting 53 on Sunday, seafood markets have entered the public spotlight with many discussing how samples, including one collected from a chopping board processing imported salmon, tested positive for COVID-19.
- Three restaurant workers test positive for COVID-19, raising public concerns Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Three restaurant workers are among the eight confirmed COVID-19 cases reported on Sunday in Beijing, said Beijing health authorities, raising public concerns about the safety of dining out.
- Genome sequencing shows Xinfadi food market virus has European source: Beijing CDC Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Genome sequencing of the strain of the coronavirus which caused the new COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing at the Xinfadi wholesale food market shows it originated from Europe, an expert from Beijing Center for Diseases Prevention and Control (Beijing CDC) said Sunday.
- 46,000 residents living near Xinfadi Market to be tested Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing's Fengtai district will conduct nucleic acid tests on more than 46,000 residents living in the surrounding communities near Xinfadi Market, where a total of 51 confirmed cases in the capital city were traced to.
- Beijing conducts rapid mass testing after closing produce market linked to virus Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing's health authority said Sunday the city's 44 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases registered between Saturday and of 7am on Sunday are all related to the Xinfadi market, the capital city's largest vegetable supply base. The latest figure brings the total number of active confirmed cases in the capital city to 51 as of press time, all linked to the Xinfadi market.
- Restaurant urges customers to undergo COVID-19 testing after waitress confirmed as patient Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- The manager of a Beijing-based restaurant on Sunday urged all their guests to take nucleic acid tests after a waitress appeared on the list of the latest batch of COVID-19 patients related to the resurgence of the outbreak in Beijing Xinfadi Market.
- New COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing will be contained: experts Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- A sudden spike in COVID-19 infections in Beijing linked to Asia's largest wholesale market struck a sudden blow to the capital city's seafood business, especially the salmon trade, and sounded the alarm about any lowering of the guard against the deadly disease.
- Beijing tightens control measures as new COVID-19 cases reported People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has tightened COVID-19 control measures as newly confirmed cases by local transmission have been reported in the past few days in the capital.
- Beijing demands more tests for fever patients as new COVID-19 cases emerge People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has demanded that hospitals offer more tests to screen fever patients for novel coronavirus infections as the city began to register new cases after a weeks-long lull.
- Beijing's new confirmed COVID-19 cases traced to Xinfadi market People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing's 36 new confirmed COVID-19 cases were all related to Xinfadi, a large wholesale market of fruits, vegetables and meat, an official said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 57 new confired COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that it received reports of 57 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, of which 38 were domestically transmitted and 19 were imported.
- Beijing reports 36 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 36 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and one new asymptomatic case on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Shanghai reported one new imported COVID-19 case and zero increase in locally transmitted cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Two COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Two COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports one new COVID-19 case, 1,109 in total People's Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported an additional confirmed case of COVID-19 on Saturday, taking the total number of confirmed cases in Hong Kong to 1,109.
- Beijing in 'Emergency Mode' After New COVID-19 Cluster Discovered at Market Sputnik 14 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese capital is in the "emergency mode" amid the new COVID-19 cluster at the Xinfadi, the largest wholesale market in the city, Xu Hejian, spokesperson for the municipal government and director of its information office, said on Sunday.
- Tibet's Environment, Is It Better or Worse? Radio Free Asia 14 Jun 2020 -- Claims by China that Tibet under Beijing's rule has protected and preserved its environment are contradicted by miles of mountains scarred by mining and rivers fouled by chemical waste, with Tibetans protesting Chinese mining companies' assaults on their homeland frequently beaten and arrested, Tibetan sources say.
- Taiwan needs to prepare for China's maritime militia threat: experts CNA 14 Jun 2020 -- Taiwan needs to be better prepared for offensives by China's state-supported maritime militia, which Beijing uses to further its political, economic and military goals in the region, Taiwanese security analysts said in a recent study.
- Last satellite of China's BeiDou system to be launched PLA Daily 14 Jun 2020 -- The last satellite of China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) has entered the countdown phase for its launch, the China Satellite Navigation Office announced Sunday.
- China's Type 15 tanks join exercises in mountainous plateau region Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Type 15 lightweight tanks of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) were spotted participating in a recent exercise in a low temperature mountainous plateau region. This type of tank has significant advantages over other types of tanks or armored vehicles in such regions, experts said.
- Rare gathering of US aircraft carriers 'to be met with Chinese countermeasures' Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- In a rare move, the US is sending three aircraft carriers to waters near China as bilateral tensions rise, a move interpreted by foreign media as a warning to China. Chinese military experts said on Sunday that the US move again exposed its hegemonic politics in the region, and China could counter it by holding military drills and showing its ability and determination to safeguard its territorial integrity.
- If HK sneezes, US will feel the impact: Hong Kong finance secretary Global Times 14 Jun 2020 -- Paul Chan, financial secretary of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, said that Hong Kong is the world's third-largest foreign exchange center for the US dollar, and if Hong Kong sneezes, it will affect the US' interests. The city has the strength to deal with any impact, Chan said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list