Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Tibetan Applicants For Police Work Turned Away Over Political Concerns: Report Radio Free Asia 11 Jun 2020 -- Tibetans seeking work as auxiliary police officers in Tibetan areas of China are being barred from employment over a wide range of concerns, with recruiters told to disqualify anyone engaging in "separatist activities" or having family members who have left Tibet to go into exile abroad, a Tibetan advocacy group said on Thursday.
- Hubei CDCs will have greater power, more income Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province has enhanced the role of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by allowing chiefs of these institutes to join health authorities at the same level and granting those centers more freedom to adjust salaries and run medical services in a bid to reform the public health system.
- Beijing reports new domestic COVID-19 infection after 55 consecutive days of zero cases Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported a domestic COVID-19 case on Thursday, after reporting zero new domestic cases for 55 consecutive days as of Wednesday.
- Beijing builds regular COVID-19 monitoring system amid concerns of disease rebound in winter Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Beijing is building a regular COVID-19 monitoring system amid other measures to improve its public health system to prepare for a possible rebound of the disease in autumn and winter.
- Chinese confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 on first chartered flight from India Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- One Chinese national was confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 in Shanghai after arriving on a chartered flight from India on Tuesday, health authorities reported Thursday.
- Shanghai reports six new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- Shanghai reported six new imported COVID-19 cases and zero increase in locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- No new confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Hong Kong reports no new COVID-19 cases, 1,107 in total People's Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported no new confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of 4:00 p.m. local time Wednesday and the total number of confirmed cases in Hong Kong remained at 1,107.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 11 new imported COVID-19 cases Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,797, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China provides anti-coronavirus medical aid to Libya Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy to Libya said on Wednesday that a shipment of Chinese medical aid will reach Libya in a few days to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 'Illegal Act': Beijing Denounces US Flight Over Taiwan as 'Provocative Incident' Sputnik 11 Jun 2020 -- After Taipei allowed a US Navy cargo plane to fly across Taiwan on Monday, Beijing accused Washington of being "provocative," denouncing the action as "illegal." China regards Taiwan as a rebellious province, and the island's airspace as its own, so US support for Taipei walks a fine line.
- Vietnam Objects to China's Undersea Cable Construction in Paracels Radio Free Asia 11 Jun 2020 -- Vietnam objected Thursday to China's recent reported laying of undersea cables in the disputed Paracel Islands, saying it was a violation of Vietnamese sovereignty.
- Chinese mainland slams US military aircraft's flight over Taiwan Island Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Chinese mainland authorities on Thursday slammed the US for sending a military transport aircraft over the island of Taiwan, saying that all necessary measures will be taken to safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests.
- China slams U.S. military plane flying over Taiwan PLA Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Thursday slammed the flight by a U.S. military aircraft over Taiwan earlier this week, calling it an unlawful act and a serious provocation.
- China denounces 'provocative' flight of US military aircraft over Taiwan Press TV 11 Jun 2020 -- China has lambasted the United States for flying one of its military transport jets over the self-ruled island of Taiwan, condemning the contentious move as an "illegal act" and "serious provocation."
- China forms first satellite network for civil maritime affairs with latest successful launch Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- China successfully sent a newly developed maritime environment monitoring satellite into orbit at 2:31 am on Thursday, forming the country's first satellite network for civil maritime affairs, which the developer said would bring the country to forefront of the world in terms of marine remote sensing capability, and also a step forward toward being a space power.
- China successfully launches new ocean observation satellite PLA Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- China successfully sent an ocean observation satellite into space from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in north China's Shanxi Province Thursday.
- China urges US to return to JCPOA commitments IRNA 11 Jun 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying referred to China's determination to uphold the efficacy of the JCPOA, saying thar Beijing urges Washington to return to its commitments under the nuclear deal.
- China a victim not instigator of disinformation: Chinese Mission to EU Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- China, as a victim of disinformation, has always opposed the creation and spread of disinformation by any people or organization, said the Chinese Commission to the EU on Wednesday, in response to the EU's joint communication claiming China has been engaged in targeted influence operations and disinformation campaigns amid the pandemic.
- China's most powerful howitzers join northwestern exercises amid border tensions Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) 75th Group Army recently received delivery of a batch of new weapons including China's most advanced vehicle-mounted howitzer, the PCL-181, as identified by Chinese military enthusiasts in photos showing the commissioning ceremony when its troops were conducting exercises in northwestern China amid border tensions with India.
- PLA speeds up power grid construction for border and coastal defense forces PLA Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- The Logistic Support Department of the Central Military Commission (CMC) and the National Energy Administration jointly took measures to accelerate the second batch of grid construction projects for border and coastal defense forces, and provide electrical support for combat readiness training and border and coastal defense construction.
- Escort taskforce organizes cross-day-and-night helicopter flight training PLA Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- Recently, the 35th escort taskforce of the Chinese PLA Navy organized ship-borne helicopters to conduct the cross-day-and-night flight training over the waters off Somalia and in the Gulf of Aden.
- Hong Kong to Prosecute Media Mogul Jimmy Lai, Organizers Over Tiananmen Vigil Radio Free Asia 11 Jun 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong will prosecute four prominent pro-democracy figures including media mogul Jimmy Lai for their involvement in a public commemoration of the Tiananmen massacre anniversary on June 4.
- US offers boost to HKSAR in financial war with China: analysts Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Top US officials have threatened to impose sanctions on the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) if China implements the National Security Law in the city, but by wading into a new battleground in its trade and economic war with Beijing, Washington might have actually boosted Hong Kong's status as a global financial center, Chinese analysts said on Thursday.
- Six things you need to know about the national security legislation for Hong Kong SAR PLA Daily 11 Jun 2020 -- On May 28, the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) adopted at its Third Session the NPC Decision on Establishing and Improving the Legal System and Enforcement Mechanisms for Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- New teachers in HK to receive training on professional identity, integrity: report Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong education authorities are requiring local new teachers to receive training in professional integrity and values in the first few years of their career, starting next school year.
- Australia should stop pointing finger at China's responsible reminders: FM Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Thursday urged the Australian side to recognize its problem and address it rather than point fingers at the Chinese government, which is being responsible in reminding its citizens to pay attention to safety.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list