Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 June 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Top US Religious Official Pledges Support For Dalai Lama's Return to 'More Autonomous' Tibet Radio Free Asia 03 Jun 2020 -- U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom Sam Brownback on Wednesday pledged Washington's assistance to Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, in returning from exile to a Tibet with greater autonomy, in his latest salvo against Beijing for its persecution of ethnic groups in China.
- Chinese military provides more medical supplies to help Laos fight COVID-19 PLA Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- The second batch of medical supplies, provided by China's Ministry of National Defense to its Lao counterpart for the fight against COVID-19, was handed over in the Wattay International Airport of Lao capital Vientiane on Tuesday.
- Reports claiming China withheld virus info from WHO inconsistent with facts: Chinese FM Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday refuted Western media reports claiming that China delayed releasing coronavirus data and held it from the World Health Organization (WHO), saying the reports were "seriously inconsistent" with the facts.
- China's ethnic regions see far fewer COVID-19 cases than national average Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- Unlike in the US, ethnic groups in China can always enjoy an equal test and treatment during the outbreak and their safety and health are a priority of the local government, said human rights experts.
- COVID-19 tests in Mudanjiang aim to identify carriers Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- Mudanjiang, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, is conducting free nucleic acid tests on all its residents to identify COVID-19 infections and get a thorough understanding of the number of asymptomatic carriers, the second city in China to do so after Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province.
- France reports 107 new single-day deaths from COVID-19 Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- With 107 COVID-19 deaths reported in the last 24 hours, France's total death toll from the coronavirus-caused disease rose to 28,940 on Tuesday, official figures showed.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported one new imported COVID-19 case Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,762, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- HKSAR gov't to be cautious, prudent in reviewing existing COVID-19 measures: chief executive People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said on Tuesday that the SAR government would adopt a very cautious and prudent approach in dealing with the various measure already put in place to combat the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Wuhan spends 900 mln yuan on citywide COVID-19 tests People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- Wuhan forked out 900 million yuan (126 mln U.S. dollars) on a citywide testing drive to screen novel coronavirus infections, executive deputy mayor Hu Yabo told a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.
- Wuhan screens nearly 10 million people in citywide COVID-19 tests People's Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- Wuhan, in central China's Hubei Province, tested nearly 10 million residents in a 19-day drive to screen for novel coronavirus infections, with officials hailing the effort as ending "psychological lockdown" for the virus-ravaged city.
- 54th BeiDou satellite starts operation in network PLA Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- The 54th and penultimate satellite of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) has started operation in the network after completing in-orbit tests and network access evaluations, according to a statement from China's Satellite Navigation System Management Office.
- China's J-20 fighter jet has 'beast mode' for arms like F-35: reports Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- China's J-20 fighter jet has been spotted equipped with pylon adapters under its wings, indicating the stealth aircraft may also be able to enter a "beast mode" like the US' F-35 fighter jet if needed by giving up some stealth capability in exchange for larger weapons loads, reports said.
- Military training to be conducted in Bohai Sea from June 2 to 16 PLA Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- According to the website of the Maritime Safety Administration (MSA) of the People's Republic of China, the Dalian MSA Bureau released two pieces of navigation warning respectively on June 1st and 2nd, 2020.
- Chinese Troops Carry Out Infiltration Drills in Tibet Amid India Border Dispute Sputnik 03 Jun 2020 -- Chinese forces in Tibet are practicing their night infiltration abilities amid the ongoing border dispute with India along eastern Jammu and Kashmir.
- 31st Anniversary of Tiananmen Square< US Dept. of State 03 Jun 2020 -- "Today we honor the brave Chinese people whose peaceful calls for democracy, human rights, and a corruption-free society came to a violent end when the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) sent the People's Liberation Army into Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989, armed with tanks and guns."
- PM Boris Johnson article on Hong Kong: 3 June 2020 Gov.UK 03 Jun 2020 -- There is something wonderful about the fact that a small island in the Pearl River Delta rose to become a great trading city and commercial powerhouse of East Asia. Wonderful, but not accidental or fortuitous.
- Britain Offers Hong Kongers Path to Citizenship VOA 03 Jun 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday said he would offer millions of Hong Kong residents a path to British citizenship if China imposes a national security law that opponents fear will erode political freedom in the territory.
- Boris Johnson escalates interventionist policy in Hong Kong Press TV 03 Jun 2020 -- After weeks of posturing by the British government, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has come out to publicly endorse the plan to grant British citizenship to potentially millions of HongKongers.
- China strongly protests to UK over foreign secretary's Hong Kong remarks Press TV 03 Jun 2020 -- China has filed stern representations with the United Kingdom over remarks by British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab accusing Beijing of violating the autonomy of Hong Kong with the passage of a national security law in the global financial hub.
- US sanctions won't impact HK: Lam Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam said she is committed to fully supporting and pushing forward the formulation of the national security law, and she condemned the US and the UK for their double-standards on the issue at a press briefing after she had met with senior central government officials in Beijing on Wednesday.
- West's offers to lure HKers help city drain 'bad blood' Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- To further meddle in Hong Kong's affairs, US and UK politicians, including British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, have jumped out to try to lure Hong Kong residents with relaxed immigration policies, a move which Chinese observers predicted will do nothing to affect the implementation of the national security law in Hong Kong but actually helps the Chinese city drain out national traitors, who are "bad blood" poisoning Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong not afraid of US sanctions: Lam Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Carrie Lam said ahead of her Wednesday visit to Beijing that Hong Kong is not afraid of US accusations and threats of sanctions.
- Embassy Spokesperson's Remarks on the Joint Letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson from Seven Former Foreign Secretaries of the UK Global Times 03 Jun 2020
- National security legislation for HKSAR shows commitment of central authorities: chief executive Global Times 03 Jun 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the decision by the national legislature to establish and improve the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the HKSAR to safeguard national security demonstrates the commitment of the central authorities, while some foreign countries applied double standards on the matter.
- National security legislation for HKSAR shows commitment of central authorities: chief executive PLA Daily 03 Jun 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the decision by the national legislature to establish and improve the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the HKSAR to safeguard national security demonstrates the commitment of the central authorities, while some foreign countries applied double standards on the matter.
- US to Bar Air China Planes From Entering Country VOA 03 Jun 2020 -- The United States said Wednesday it will prohibit Air China planes from entering the country beginning on June 16 as part of an effort to pressure Beijing to allow American air carriers to resume flights to China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list