Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- On US College Campuses, Student Groups Call for Closure of Beijing-Funded Confucius Institutes VOA 31 May 2020 -- Two of the largest U.S. college campus political organizations are calling for the closure of all Confucius Institutes in the United States, saying the Beijing-funded outposts are part of the Chinese Communist Party's attempt to control discourse on China at American universities.
- China donates medical supplies to help Botswana fight COVID-19 Global Times 31 May 2020 -- China on Friday donated medical protective supplies to Botswana to help the country fight COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 31 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,740, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 31 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Saturday.
- China Reports Two New Coronavirus Cases for May 30 SPA 31 May 2020 -- China recorded two new confirmed cases of coronavirus on May 30, down from four the day before, data from the country's health authority showed on Sunday, Reuters reported.
- PLA expands high-altitude arsenal to address border threat Global Times 31 May 2020 -- Since the Doklam standoff with India in 2017, the Chinese military has expanded its arsenal with weapons like the Type 15 tank, Z-20 helicopter and GJ-2 drone that should give China the advantage in high-altitude conflicts should they arise, Chinese analysts said on Sunday.
- Trump slams China over Hong Kong security law, threatens severe action Press TV 31 May 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has slammed China over the recently-passed national security law by the legislative council in the former British colony of Hong Kong, claiming that Beijing had broken its word regarding the city's autonomy and vowing that the territory no longer warranted US economic privileges.
- US threats of sanctions fail to pressure HK Global Times 31 May 2020 -- Officials in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) remain defiant over US threats to impose sanctions on the city following the adoption of a national security legislation for Hong Kong, as they mounted a fierce defense against what they call US' hypocrisy and double standard. They insisted that the city is not worried about the impact of potential US sanctions.
- US, UK attempts to discuss HK security bill at UN Security Council end in failure Global Times 31 May 2020 -- Attempts made by the US and the UK to push the UN Security Council to discuss Hong Kong's national security legislation have ended in failure, with a Chinese envoy slamming it as intending to point fingers at the internal affairs of China for their own political purposes.
- HKSAR gov't voices deep regret over U.S. smearing China's legitimate rights to protect national security People's Daily 31 May 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Saturday voiced deep regret that the U.S. government continued to smear and demonize the legitimate rights and duty of China to safeguard national security in the HKSAR which is aimed at restoring stability to Hong Kong society.
- Chinese Mission asks EU to refrain from interfering in HK affairs People's Daily 31 May 2020 -- A spokesperson of the Chinese Mission to the European Union (EU) on Friday urged the EU to refrain from interfering in Hong Kong affairs and China's internal affairs in any form, in response to Declaration of the High Representative on behalf of the EU on Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong officials slam US for moving to end special treatment of city Press TV 31 May 2020 -- Hong Kong government officials have criticized US President Donald Trump for moving to strip the semi-autonomous Chinese territory of its special rights status.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list