Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Xi orders fortifying public health protection network PLA Daily 24 May 2020 -- President Xi Jinping stressed fortifying the public health protection network when participating in a deliberation at the annual national legislative session.
- Chinese FM Warns Against Foreign Interference Over Hong Kong VOA 24 May 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is warning the West and other players that "no external interference will be tolerated" as Beijing considers a new security law inside semi-autonomous Hong Kong.
- Iran's Exports To China Drop 61 Percent Compared With 2019 Radio Farda 24 May 2020 -- The latest trade figures published by China's customs shows a 61 percent drop in imports from Iran in the first four months of 2020 compared with the same period last year.
- India 'Dispatches Reinforcement Battalions to Ladakh' Amid Border Tension with China Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- The recent standoff between India and China erupted over infrastructure construction near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) earlier this month. China has been urging India to be cautious and restrained over infrastructure development in the border areas, which are separated by the loosely demarcated LAC.
- Chinese FM refutes rumors over South China Sea amid pandemic Global Times 24 May 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi refuted rumors at a press conference on Sunday that China was escalating activities in the South China Sea to achieve its strategic goals.
- NIA beefs up screenings on entries by Chinese associated with CPC CNA 24 May 2020 -- Taiwan's National Immigration Agency (NIA) has strengthened its screening of entry permit applications by Chinese nationals affiliated with the Communist Party of China (CPC) over the past year to make sure they do not visit for the purposes of political propaganda, the agency said Sunday.
- US should not underestimate Chinese people's determination for reunification: Wang Yi Global Times 24 May 2020 -- The Taiwan question is China's internal affair and the US should recognize its high sensitivity and abide by the one-China principle and three joint communiqués, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Sunday.
- Chinese military urges US to immediately stop arms sales to Taiwan PLA Daily 24 May 2020 -- The Chinese military expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition on Sunday to the US selling Taiwan $180 million of equipment including torpedoes, and strongly urged the US side to immediately stop arms sales to Taiwan and stop military ties with Taiwan.
- US asks Israel to sever burgeoning ties with China: Paper Press TV 24 May 2020 -- The United States has asked Israel to sever ties with China in areas which entail security risks, the Jerusalem Post reports.
- China points direction for post-pandemic world Global Times 24 May 2020 -- China is pointing out the correct direction - improving and reforming globalization; upholding multilateralism - for the world to create a brighter future after the COVID-19 pandemic, Chinese analysts said after the Chinese foreign minister's press conference on the sidelines of the annual national legislative session on Sunday.
- China never bullies others but will counter slander for honor, dignity: FM Global Times 24 May 2020 -- Those who always seek to label China hegemonic are exactly the ones who refuse to let go of hegemony, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi, said at a press conference on the sidelines of the third session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) on Sunday.
- National security law will not affect HK's autonomy: Wang Yi Global Times 24 May 2020 -- Hong Kong's national security law will not affect the city's high degree of autonomy, the rights and freedom enjoyed by its residents, or the legitimate rights of foreign investors, said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Sunday.
- China's social system, governance capability withstands COVID-19 test: Chinese FM Global Times 24 May 2020 -- "The world won't return to the past and China will not stop marching forward" and China's social system and governance capability have withstood comprehensive test after the COVID-19 pandemic, Chinese Foreign Minister said on Sunday, adding that as long as the world insists on pushing forward with globalization reform and upholding multilateralism, the world will see a brighter future after the pandemic.
- NPC deputy proposes a national data security law for information sovereignty Global Times 24 May 2020 -- China should speed up the process of setting up a national data security law so as to strengthen the protection over personal privacy and establish a mechanism that guarantees China's data sovereignty facing global competition, Zheng Jie, a deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislative body, proposed during the ongoing two sessions.
- China's first plateau-focused unmanned helicopter makes maiden flight, missions along border with India expected Global Times 24 May 2020 -- China's first domestically developed unmanned helicopter focused on plateau operations recently made its maiden flight. Capable of conducting missions including reconnaissance, communication relay, electronic disruption and fire strike at high altitude, this versatile and easy-to-operate drone could help safeguard China's southwestern borders with India, analysts said on Sunday.
- Li stresses stabilizing fundamentals for growth People's Daily 24 May 2020 -- Premier Li Keqiang reiterated on Saturday the importance of stabilizing China's economic fundamentals with stronger measures to create jobs, safeguard people's livelihoods and protect market players as the country faces unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Highlights of press conference on China's foreign policy and diplomatic relations People's Daily 24 May 2020 -- State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi met the press on the sidelines of the 3rd session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) at 3 pm Sunday afternoon. He took questions regarding China's foreign policy and diplomatic relations via video link.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese foreign ministry in HKSAR urges relevant countries to stop meddling with HK affairs, China's internal affairs as a whole People's Daily 24 May 2020 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Saturday urged relevant countries to respect China's sovereignty and security, and stop meddling with Hong Kong affairs and China's internal affairs as a whole.
- Xi stresses analyzing China's economy from comprehensive, dialectical, long-term perspective PLA Daily 24 May 2020 -- President Xi Jinping on Saturday stressed analyzing China's economic situation from a comprehensive, dialectical and long-term perspective, urging efforts to foster new opportunities amid challenges and make new advances amid changes.
- National security legislation for HKSAR by top legislature has sufficient Constitutional, legal basis PLA Daily 24 May 2020 -- The deliberation by China's top legislature on national security legislation for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has been welcomed by many law experts in Hong Kong as a critical effort to plug loopholes in the national security system and safeguard the constitutional order established by the Constitution and the Basic Law.
- Hong Kong residents voice support for national security legislation PLA Daily 24 May 2020 -- A petition activity was launched here on Sunday in support of national security legislation for Hong Kong, with the number of participators quickly amounting to tens of thousands.
- Protest erupts in Hong Kong over proposed security law Press TV 24 May 2020 -- Hong Kong is witnessing a renewal of protests over a newly-proposed security law as a lockdown imposed over the coronavirus outbreak gradually loosens.
- Riot Police Fire Tear Gas, Water Cannon at Angry Hong Kong Crowds Radio Free Asia 24 May 2020 -- Hong Kong police fired tear gas, water cannon and pepper balls at separate groups totaling thousands of people who came out in protest at plans by the ruling Chinese Communist Party in Beijing to impose draconian national security legislation and crack down on dissent in the city.
- BoJo Allegedly Has Cunning Plan to Allow Hong Kong Citizens to Emigrate to UK Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- The revelation follows moves by China to introduce a resolution improving the Basic Law that sets out the framework of ties between Hong Kong and Beijing, which could include a national security convention banning "treason, secession, sedition and subversion", and may be passed without consultation with the region's legislature.
- US and China on 'Brink of New Cold War', Chinese Foreign Minister Warns Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- Relations between Washington and Beijing recently deteriorated as the US accused China of misinformation about the coronavirus crisis. The countries have also clashed over the situation in Hong Kong, as well as territorial disputes in the South China Sea, economic issues, and US dependency on Chinese resources.
- US May Impose Sanctions on China Over Hong Kong VOA 24 May 2020 -- Washington may impose sanctions on China over a new proposed law on security in Hong Kong, White House National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said Sunday.
- Hong Kong Ex-Governor Dubs New Security Law a 'Wake-Up Call' VOA 24 May 2020 -- Britain and other Western countries have been naive in thinking they can tame China's Communist leaders by "cozying up" to them, says Britain's last governor of Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Police Use Force to Disperse Rally Against Beijing Security Law VOA 24 May 2020 -- Hong Kong police fired tear gas and used water cannon and pepper spray Sunday on thousands of protesters who turned out in droves to demonstrate against Beijing's plan to impose national security laws on the Asian financial hub.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list