Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine team praised for releasing complete data; early results promising Global Times 23 May 2020 -- A Chinese-developed COVID-19 adenovirus vector vaccine candidate became the first in the world to disclose complete phase one clinical trial results and declare dual immune response in the recipient on Friday, representing a significant milestone in its results and boost in confidence for current and prospective volunteers in clinical trials.
- Chinese mainland reports zero new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths Global Times 23 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland recorded zero new COVID-19 cases and no new deaths on Friday, according to China's National Health Commission.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- China's Jilin reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Jilin Province on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Saturday that it received no new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Friday.
- China Reports No New COVID-19 Cases for First Time VOA 23 May 2020 -- China, the country where the coronavirus outbreak began, reported no new infections Saturday, the first time since it started reporting cases in January.
- Johnson considers terminating Huawei role in UK 5G network Press TV 23 May 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is considering terminating the role of Chinese technology giant Huawei's role in the development of the UK's 5G network even before it began.
- Taiwan separatists panic as mainland drops 'peaceful' in reunification narrative Global Times 23 May 2020 -- Taiwan separatists and foreign forces that attempt to meddle in the reunification of China are becoming panicked and nervous as the Chinese mainland changes slightly the wording regarding the approach to reunification in the Friday's government work report by omitting the word "peaceful" ahead of "reunification," analysts said.
- India, China Reportedly Take Diplomatic Route to Resolve Flare-Up of Border Skirmishes Sputnik 23 May 2020 -- Tensions between the Indian and Chinese armies along their border erupted after Delhi began building a critical road north of Pangong Tso in Ladakh. Chinese forces opposed the construction on India's side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and boosted their deployment in the region, which was reciprocated by Indian troops.
- Unemployment due to COVID-19 could benefit China's PLA: analyst CNA 23 May 2020 -- Unemployment due to the COVID-19 pandemic could benefit the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) by allowing it to lure new blood with higher educational backgrounds, according to a Taiwanese security researcher.
- China determined to fix HK national security loophole, ready for potential US sanctions: experts Global Times 23 May 2020 -- No US sanctions or "cancellation of Hong Kong's special status" will sway China's determination to fix national security loopholes in Hong Kong as the central government must have had taken into consideration possible US responses and is preparing for countermeasures, Chinese experts said.
- Chinese experts warn of 'ample countermeasures' as US includes more Chinese tech firms on Entity List Global Times 23 May 2020 -- China won't back down from the US' quickening technology war mongering against Chinese companies, but will honor the phase one trade deal while developing its own countermeasures, Chinese experts said on Saturday.
- HK national security law 'almost ready to be enacted' People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- After a draft decision on establishing and improving the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to safeguard national security was submitted to China's top legislature on Friday, the work of formulating the national security legislation would be accelerated, which would be signed into the law as early as in the coming weeks considering the urgency, some national lawmakers, top political advisors and lawyers said, as the central government prepared to set up national security agencies in Hong Kong to enhance information collecting and evidence to deal with acts like splitting the country, subverting state power, organizing and perpetrating terrorist activities.
- Civil code will advance rule of law, say legislators People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- China's first draft civil code, which is under review at the annual session of the top legislature, is essential to comprehensive advancement of the rule of law and will offer stronger protection of people's fundamental interests, national lawmakers said.
- Two Sessions: A Quick Break Down of the 2020 Government Work Report People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang delivered the Government Work Report to the third session of the 13th National People's Congress in Beijing on May 22. The report reviewed the government's work in 2019 and the first few months of 2020, and set main targets and tasks for economic and social development this year, as well as outlined major policies.
- Epidemic impact on China's economy significant, but temporary: official People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- The impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on China's economy is significant but will be short-term and temporary, a senior official with the country's top economic planning body said Friday.
- HKSAR LegCo members express support for national security legislation People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- The president and 41 members of the Legislative Council (LegCo) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Friday expressed support for establishing and improving at the state-level the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the HKSAR to safeguard national security.
- China firm in opposition to external interference in HK affairs: spokesperson People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- The Chinese government is firm in its resolve to safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests, and firm in its opposition to external interference in Hong Kong's affairs, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said here Friday.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese foreign ministry in HKSAR says national security legislation helps ensure greater success of "one country, two systems" People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said Friday that the national security legislation for the HKSAR is not only necessary for plugging loopholes in Hong Kong's national security legal system and upholding national sovereignty and security, but also conducive to ensuring long-term prosperity and stability of Hong Kong and greater success of "one country, two systems."
- Safeguarding national security in Hong Kong People's Daily 23 May 2020 -- Chan Man-ki, a deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC) from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), has prepared a suggestion on the legislation to safeguard national security in Hong Kong for the third session of the 13th NPC that started on Friday.
- Xi stresses "people first" on first day of annual legislative session PLA Daily 23 May 2020 -- President Xi Jinping stressed acting on the people-centered philosophy in every aspect of work when he participated in a deliberation on the first day of the annual session of the National People's Congress (NPC), China's national legislature.
- Top HK officials, leaders back national security law PLA Daily 23 May 2020 -- Hong Kong's top officials and community leaders have thrown their support behind a decision by the nation's top legislature to introduce a national security law for the city.
- US to add 33 Chinese companies to economic blacklist Press TV 23 May 2020 -- The United States has decided to add 33 Chinese firms and institutions to an economic blacklist over alleged human rights violations or having ties with China's military.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list