Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- New COVID-19 Cluster in Northeast China Behaving Differently, Expert Reveals Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- A prominent doctor in China has revealed that a COVID-19 strain detected in northeast China is behaving differently than the strain prominent during the initial outbreak in the country, suggesting that the virus is continuing to mutate.
- Sinister intentions behind mud-flinging at China Global Times 21 May 2020 -- As of May 19, Beijing Time (GMT +8), the US has reported more than 1.5 million confirmed COVID-19 cases cumulatively with over 90,000 deaths, both figures are the highest in the world.
- China to firmly respond with countermeasures against US bills smearing China over COVID-19: NPC spokesperson Global Times 21 May 2020 -- A spokesperson for the annual session of China's top legislature on Thursday slammed US bills that baselessly accuse China of being responsible for COVID-19 and demand compensation from China, noting China will firmly respond with countermeasures.
- WHO resolution quashes attempts by certain countries to politicize coronavirus issues: FM Global Times 21 May 2020 -- China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs refuted Wednesday malicious rumors claiming China was "forced" to join the co-proposal of the resolution on identifying the zoonotic source of the coronavirus and evaluating the World Health Organization's (WHO) COVID-19 response, saying the resolution broke up attempts by some countries to politicize the pandemic issue.
- Top epidemiologist urges Chinese experts to actively take part in WHO-led probe into COVID-19 Global Times 21 May 2020 -- China's chief epidemiologist has urged Chinese experts to actively participate in the WHO-led investigation of COVID-19 pandemic, saying that the investigation does not target at any single country, so China should not be afraid of inviting suspicion, as hostile voices against the nation are quite rare in the international community.
- China should not be blamed for virus spread: CPPCC session spokesperson Global Times 21 May 2020 -- It is baseless to accuse China of hiding information on COVID-19 and causing the virus to spread to other countries, Guo Weimin, spokesperson for the third annual session of the 13th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee said at a press conference on Wednesday.
- Foreign orders for Chinese face masks continue to pour in Global Times 21 May 2020 -- Orders for 100 million surgical masks from Europe and Canada have failed to find Chinese suppliers for weeks, as many Chinese factories are scrambling to complete orders of KN95 masks with higher profit margins, according to industry insiders.
- Spokesman rebuts slander over COVID-19 response, aid to others People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- China dismissed accusations on Wednesday from some foreign politicians who smeared and slandered its efforts to fight COVID-19, saying such attempts will fail.
- China brings COVID-19 epidemic under control in short time: spokesperson People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- With concerted efforts of the whole country, China has brought the COVID-19 epidemic under control in a short period of time, a spokesperson with the annual session of the country's top political advisory body said Wednesday.
- Shanghai reports one new COVID-19 case from Wuhan People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Shanghai reported one new confirmed case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Wednesday from Wuhan, the city that was previously hardest hit by the virus.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei builds epidemic control, treatment base People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province on Wednesday started construction of an 800-bed base for prevention, control, and treatment of major epidemics in the future.
- Chinese mainland reports one new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported one new imported COVID-19 case Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,709, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of two new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, of which one was imported and reported in Guangdong Province.
- 5 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Five COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- China's Jilin province reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Jilin Province on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Xi says China to continue to support WHO playing leading role in COVID-19 fight People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Wednesday that China stands ready to work with Myanmar and other countries to continue to support the World Health Organization (WHO) playing a leading role in the global battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chinese Scientists Test Treatment Using Antibodies from Recovered COVID-19 Patients VOA 21 May 2020 -- Chinese scientists say a new drug is showing promising results in treating and preventing COVID-19, which could be effective in ending the pandemic before a vaccine is ready.
- India Rejects Beijing's Claim that its Army is Building Defence Fortifications in Chinese Territory Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- India and China are undergoing their longest border stand-off after Doklam in 2017. The troops of both armies were involved in skirmishes at Pangong Tso lake in eastern Ladakh on 5 May, followed by Naku La in Sikkim on 9 May.
- US Asks For Meeting with Tibet's Detained Panchen Lama Radio Free Asia 21 May 2020 -- The U.S. government would like to meet in person with Tibet's Panchen Lama, who vanished into Chinese custody as a young boy 25 years ago this week and has not been heard from since, a State Department spokesman told RFA on Thursday.
- US ready to spend Russia, China 'into oblivion' to win nukes race: US envoy Press TV 21 May 2020 -- The United States is ready to spend Russia and China "into oblivion" in order to be able to win a new nuclear arms race, President Donald Trump's arms control negotiator says.
- 'Page in history turned' on '1992 consensus' issue: MAC minister CNA 21 May 2020 -- "A page in history has already been turned" on the issue of the so-called "1992 consensus" in relation to cross- Taiwan Strait affairs, Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Minister Chen Ming-tong (陳明通) said Thursday.
- China's reunification cannot be stopped by any force: spokesperson People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- National reunification is critical to the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation and cannot be stopped by anyone or any force, a mainland spokesperson said Wednesday.
- 'There is Only One China': Beijing Blasts Pompeo for His Congratulatory Praise of Tsai Ing Wen Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Following recent comments about Taiwanese President Tsai Ing Wen's inauguration, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed its "strong indignation and condemnation" at what it considers "a gross interference in China's internal affairs."
- Tiangong details unveiled Global Times 21 May 2020 -- After the successful maiden flight of the Long March-5B large rocket and the testing of China's new-generation manned spaceship, more details of China's space station have been unveiled.
- Beidou navigation system used in majority of countries and regions, designer says PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- China's Beidou Navigation Satellite System has been used in more than half the world's countries and regions, according to the system's chief designer.
- China has no "hidden military spending": spokesperson PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- China is transparent about its military spending and there is no such thing as "hidden military spending," a spokesperson said Thursday.
- PLA naval deputy to NPC talks about technological innovation in equipment protection PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- "The corrosion prevention and control of equipment is a strategic project for the navy. It is necessary to think from a macro-strategic perspective, and start with the innovative details", said Cao Jingyi, a deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC) of China and research director with the PLA Navy Academy, in an interview when he is going to attend the 13th National People's Congress in Beijing .
- Two Sessions 2020: What's different and what's important People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- All eyes are on China again as the country gears up for its annual Two Sessions, the most important event in China's political calendar. China will hold the plenary session of the National People's Congress and the annual session of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference in late May, which shows that China is confident that it has the coronavirus outbreak under control.
- China's top political advisory body starts annual session PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- China's top political advisory body started its annual session Thursday afternoon in Beijing.
- China's top political advisor stresses safeguarding core national interests in work report Global Times 21 May 2020 -- China's top political advisor Wang Yang said in a work report on Thursday that members of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) National Committee had made efforts in safeguarding core national interests while also calling on them to devote their work to national rejuvenation.
- Chinese political advisors gather in Beijing for annual session People's Daily 21 May 2020 -- Members from various sectors of the 13th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) have registered for the top political advisory body's annual session scheduled to open on Thursday in Beijing.
- Special "two sessions" in a crucial year PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- This year's "two sessions," postponed for more than two months, bear a special meaning as the unprecedented coronavirus epidemic complicates the nation's efforts to eradicate absolute poverty and complete building a moderately prosperous society in all respects.
- China Gears Up to 'Perfect Hong Kong's Legal System' With Draconian Security Law Radio Free Asia 21 May 2020 -- China on Thursday said it was gearing up to "perfect the legal system" of Hong Kong with national security legislation that will outlaw speech and actions considered subversive, pro-independence or part of "foreign interference" in the city.
- Beijing Moves to Outlaw Secession in Hong Kong at National Congress - Reports Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Beijing is set to put forward a resolution that will allow the National People's Congress during its upcoming session to pass national security legislation to ban secession and foreign interference in Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported on Thursday, citing sources in the Chinese capital.
- China to Propose Law to Limit Opposition Activity in Hong Kong VOA 21 May 2020 -- China's parliament will propose legislation to protect security in Hong Kong in response to pro-democracy protests in the territory last year that often turned violent.
- Hong Kong Bans Annual Tiananmen March, Citing COVID Concerns VOA 21 May 2020 -- Hong Kong has prohibited a planned annual march to mourn the victims of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown and effectively banned a candlelit annual vigil that has taken place without interruption for 30 years, the organizer said Thursday.
- National security law in HK may be completed within half year: experts Global Times 21 May 2020 -- After a preparatory meeting for the third session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), Zhang Yesui, spokesperson of the NPC, announced a new agenda and arrangements for the national security law to be implemented in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Passing national security law in HK shows central government's determination: expert Global Times 21 May 2020 -- Formulating a national security legislation for Hong Kong shows that the central government is determined to safeguard its sovereignty over the special administrative region and will protect the territory from falling into the hands of the hostile forces at all cost, especially after the Hong Kong SAR government has been weakened in the past years fending off growing risks caused by local secessionists and foreign intervention, a senior expert close to the central government on Hong Kong affairs told the Global Times on Thursday.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese foreign ministry in HKSAR condemns US politicians' groundless remarks Global Times 21 May 2020 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Thursday firmly opposed and condemned the groundless comments by certain US politicians against the Chinese central government and the HKSAR government.
- Trump ramps up animosity toward China by threatening diplomats Global Times 21 May 2020 -- Recent tweets sent by US President Donald Trump, in which he criticized a Chinese government spokesperson and accused China of spreading disinformation and propaganda, signal more aggressive attacks against China, experts said, while slamming him for worsening the already strained China-US ties and calling for stronger countermeasures with regard to possible punitive measures from the US against Chinese diplomats.
- Extradition Treaty That Could Deport Uyghurs From Turkey to China Faces Uncertainty in Ankara Radio Free Asia 21 May 2020 -- An extradition treaty that could be used to forcibly deport Uyghurs from Turkey to China where they are at risk of persecution faces an uncertain fate in parliament, according to Turkish opposition lawmakers, while cases that highlight Beijing's influence over Ankara have raised fears among Uyghur exiles.
- Fine For VPN Use Sparks Rare Backlash on Chinese Internet Radio Free Asia 21 May 2020 -- The fining of a Chinese internet user by authorities in the northern province of Shaanxi for using software to circumvent the Great Firewall has sparked a rare public backlash online.
- US Senate Passes Bill That Could Block Chinese Companies From Stock Exchanges Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- In September 2019, reports emerged suggesting that the Trump administration was considering the possibility of limiting US investment into the Chinese economy and delisting Chinese companies from US stock exchanges. The White House, however, dismissed the reports as untrue.
- U.S. Signals Change in China Strategy to 'Defensive' And 'Competitive' Approach Radio Free Asia 21 May 2020 -- The White House on Thursday signaled an end to the U.S.' two-decades-old policy of engagement with China, vowing in a new strategy report to combat Beijing's attempts to impose a "new world order" based on its model of authoritarian government.
- Text of a Letter to Certain Congressional Committees on the United States Strategic Approach to the People's Republic of China The White House 21 May 2020
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list