Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Bao Tong: Criticizing the Emperor is a Social Responsibility Radio Free Asia 20 May 2020 -- There is an article in People's Daily Online titled, "Deepen Your Knowledge in Sinology with Chairman Xi's Speeches," in which the anonymous author talked about the "Fifteen Anecdotes that Chairman Xi Jinping Shared with the World." I read the first entry and found a few bones to pick.
- United States Strategic Approach to The People's Republic of China DoD 20 May 2020 -- "On May 20, 2020, in accordance with the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act, the administration delivered a report, "U.S. Strategic Approach to the People's Republic of China" to members of Congress."
- China Recalibrates Economic Goals Following Pandemic VOA 20 May 2020 -- Chinese leaders are expected to begin charting out a new economic development plan Friday as part of major meetings of top officials in Beijing.
- WHO resolution quashes attempts by certain countries to politicize coronavirus issues: FM Global Times 21 May 2020 -- China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs refuted Wednesday malicious rumors claiming China was "forced" to join the co-proposal of the resolution on identifying the zoonotic source of the coronavirus and evaluating the World Health Organization's (WHO) COVID-19 response, saying the resolution broke up attempts by some countries to politicize the pandemic issue.
- Xi says China opposes disruption of int'l anti-epidemic cooperation PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Wednesday that China opposes acts that disrupt international cooperation against the COVID-19 pandemic and undermine the world's and especially developing countries' anti-epidemic efforts.
- Chinese defense minister holds phone talk with Philippine counterpart PLA Daily 21 May 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe on Wednesday spoke over the phone with Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on COVID-19 prevention and control.
- US Pledges Support to Taiwan, Amid Deepening China Tensions VOA 20 May 2020 -- The United States said its strong and bipartisan support for Taiwan's democracy "comports with" the U.S.-China agreements and is "the right solution to maximize the stability" of the Taiwan Strait.
- US Stratbombers Sent to South, East China Seas as Trump's War of Words With Beijing Escalates Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- On Wednesday, the US president reiterated his claims blaming China for the global coronavirus pandemic, tweeting that it was "the incompetence of China" that caused the current "mass Worldwide killing!"
- China Harvests Vegetables in South China Sea to Cultivate Territorial Claims Radio Free Asia 20 May 2020 -- China's navy recently harvested 1.5 tons of vegetables on its biggest military base and civilian center in the Paracel Islands, in what state media portrayed Wednesday as vindication of Beijing's position that disputed land features it claims in the South China Sea can sustain human life.
- Beijing Accuses New Delhi of Obstructing Patrols Along Disputed Border Area - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has told the Hindustan Times newspaper, in comments regarding the recent escalation along the disputed Sino-Indian border and reported fortification on both sides, that New Delhi is preventing Chinese troops from conducting patrols along the border area.
- Taiwan President Says Island Won't Accept Rule by Beijing Radio Free Asia 20 May 2020 -- Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen set the scene for her second term in office on Wednesday with a vow that the democratic island would never accept rule by the Chinese Communist Party, signaling instead a cautious move towards constitutional reform.
- Taiwan President Vows to Bolster Defense as China Steps up Military Threats VOA 20 May 2020 -- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen vowed Wednesday to step up defense following a series of bigger-than-normal threats by her government's longtime rival China.
- President Tsai sworn in, commences her second term CNA 20 May 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) took her oath of office at the Presidential Office on Wednesday and formally commenced her second four-year term as the president of the Republic of China, Taiwan's formal name.
- Full text of Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen's second-term inaugural address CNA 20 May 2020 -- The following is the full text of President Tsai Ing-wen's (蔡英文) inaugural address to start her second term, as released by the Presidential Office Wednesday:
- Tsai maintains stance on China in inaugural address CNA 20 May 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) offered little new on relations with China in her inaugural address Wednesday, saying she was willing to engage in dialogue with China but would not allow the downgrading of Taiwan.
- National reunification cannot be stopped by any force: spokesperson People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- National reunification is critical to the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation and cannot be stopped by anyone or any force, a mainland spokesperson said Wednesday.
- Chinese defense ministry denounces US congratulation on Taiwan leader's inauguration PLA Daily 20 May 2020 -- The Ministry of National Defense(MND) of the People's Republic of China issued a written statement to express strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's congratulating Taiwan leader Tsai Ing-wen on her inauguration on Wednesday.
- Cross-Straits ties likely to see 'a decoupling future' as Tsai enters 2nd term Global Times 20 May 2020 -- The Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council has responded to the "inauguration speech" made by the separatist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) chairperson Tsai Ing-wen on Wednesday, saying that the mainland wants to create broad space for peaceful reunification but will leave no space for any act of separatism.
- China to watch proposed constitutional amendment committee: scholar CNA 20 May 2020 -- The Chinese authorities will closely follow President Tsai Ing-wen's (蔡英文) proposal Wednesday to create a constitutional amendment committee, given its potential to alter Taiwan's national status, according to a prominent scholar of cross-Taiwan Strait affairs.
- No mutual trust across Taiwan Strait: China scholars CNA 20 May 2020 -- Commenting on Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen's (蔡英文) inaugural speech Wednesday, Chinese scholars said there still is a lack of mutual trust between Taiwan and China.
- Twitter's Hiring of China-Linked AI Expert Sparks Concern Radio Free Asia 20 May 2020 -- Commentators have been raising concerns over Twitter's recent hiring of artificial intelligence (AI) star Fei-Fei Li, who has links to the Chinese Communist Party.
- Pandemic Exposes Perils of Global Reliance on China for Drug Supplies VOA 20 May 2020 -- In early May, U.S. President Donald Trump was asked during a Fox News virtual town hall when the country would no longer be dependent on foreign pharmaceutical manufacturers for 94% of antibiotics used in this country.
- China's 'Incompetence' is to Blame for 'Mass Worldwide Killing' - Trump Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- The US has repeatedly blamed China for failing to contain the spread of the virus from Wuhan and for reporting the disease to the World Health Organisation too late.
- China not using pandemic to pursue global leadership: CPPCC session spokesperson Global Times 20 May 2020 -- Some US politicians out of political purposes have hyped that the novel coronavirus came from China to shift the blame due to ideological bias, and their attempts are doomed to fail, said Guo Weimin, spokesperson of the third annual session of the 13th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee at a press conference on Wednesday.
- China should not be blamed for virus spread: CPPCC session spokesperson Global Times 20 May 2020 -- It is baseless to accuse China of hiding information on COVID-19 and causing the virus to spread to other countries, Guo Weimin, spokesperson for the third annual session of the 13th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference National Committee said at a press conference on Wednesday.
- NE China COVID-19 cases have longer incubation and show different symptoms to Wuhan cases: expert Global Times 20 May 2020 -- An expert from the National Health Commission (NHC) said that the confirmed COVID-19 cases in Northeast China's Heilongjiang and Jilin provinces have different characteristics from those in Hubei Province.
- Unity, leadership, equity highlighted at COVID-19-dominated WHO meeting People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- The World Health Assembly (WHA), the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO), opened its first-ever virtual session here on Monday, calling for unity, a stronger WHO role and equity amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Smearing China for COVID-19 won't succeed: spokesperson People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Certain politicians from a number of countries including the United States will not succeed in blaming and smearing China over COVID-19 as they did these out of political needs to shift the blame at home, a Chinese spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- China's top political advisory body to hold annual session from May 21 to 27 People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- The National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), the country's top political advisory body, will open its annual session on Thursday afternoon in Beijing, a spokesperson said Wednesday.
- China brings COVID-19 epidemic under control in short time: spokesperson People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- With concerted efforts of the whole country, China has brought the COVID-19 epidemic under control in a short period of time, a spokesperson with the annual session of the country's top political advisory body said Wednesday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China's Jilin province reports 4 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province reported four new confirmed COVID-19 cases Tuesday, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported one new imported COVID-19 case Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,708, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- 3 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Three COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday that it received reports of five new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, of which one was imported and reported in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China promptly shared information at early stage of epidemic: epidemiologist People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- China promptly shared information on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the early stage of the epidemic, a chief epidemiologist of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday.
- Macao's last COVID-19 patient recovers, discharged from hospital People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Macao's last COVID-19 patient had recovered from the disease and was discharged from hospital, the special administrative region's COVID-19 response center said here on Tuesday.
- China's Guizhou reopens all cinemas, exhibition centers as epidemic wanes People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Southwest China's Guizhou Province announced Tuesday that all cinemas and exhibition centers are allowed to reopen after being closed for months due to the COVID-19 epidemic.
- China's national legislators, political advisors make over 400 proposals on fighting COVID-19 People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- Deputies to China's National People's Congress (NPC) and advisors of the national political advisory body have made more than 400 suggestions and proposals on COVID-19 prevention and control since the outbreak, the National Health Commission said.
- China Reports 5 New COVID-19 Cases for May 19 VS 6 Day Earlier SPA 20 May 2020 -- China recorded five new coronavirus cases for May 19, down from six a day earlier, the National Health Commission reported on Wednesday.
- Chinese military launches pilot program on non-staple food supply PLA Daily 20 May 2020 -- Recently, the Logistic Support Department of China's Central Military Commission (CMC), together with seven national ministries and commissions, jointly issued a notice on the pilot program for regionally centralized procurement of military non-staple food in Zhejiang Province, Zhangzhou City in Fujian Province, Qingdao City in Shandong Province, Hubei Province, Hainan Province, and Xizang (Tibet) Autonomous Region.
- Chinese tracking vessel Yuanwang 6 sails to Pacific Ocean for multiple monitoring missions PLA Daily 20 May 2020 -- China's upgraded tracking vessel Yuanwang 6 is sailing to the Pacific Ocean from a port in East China's Jiangsu province Wednesday for multiple maritime missions of spacecraft monitoring.
- Two sessions 'in cloud': expected to inject confidence, unite people in wake of COVID-19 Global Times 20 May 2020 -- After a 78-day delay, China entered a "two sessions" mode on Wednesday as the country's top advisory body held the first online press conference of this year's two sessions - a special arrangement in line with epidemic prevention and control work - while thousands of deputies and members from China's provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities as well as two special administration regions (SARs) arrived in Beijing.
- China moves closer to civil code People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- China's national legislature will deliberate a massive bill when its annual session opens Friday, moving closer to having a civil code for the people's republic.
- China's draft civil code to improve tort system: experts People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- A draft civil code to be submitted to China's national legislature's annual session for review will strengthen the system of tort liability, experts said.
- China's draft civil code to strengthen property rights protection: experts People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- A draft civil code to be submitted to China's top legislature's annual session for review will strengthen property rights protection, experts said.
- US, China divisions deepen amid spat over coronavirus, Taiwan Press TV 20 May 2020 -- Tensions between China and the United States keep escalating on the international stage, with representatives from the two sides trading barbs at a United Nations Security Council meeting over the coronavirus response, as well as officials from both countries confronting each other on the sensitive issue of Taiwan's sovereignty.
- China paves way for countermeasures against US crackdown Global Times 20 May 2020 -- China published sweeping guidelines to improve the country's "socialist market economy," which include instructions for accelerating market reform and opening-up as well as refining national security reviews and setting up an "unreliable entity list", to better supervise foreign companies' investment in the country.
- China's Middle East Trade Impact Could Be Exaggerated VOA 20 May 2020 -- China is emphasizing trade cooperation with the Middle East and North Africa during the COVID-19 pandemic, but some observers think many recent initiatives have been more for show than substance.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list