Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Successful vaccines against coronavirus as early as March 2021: Chinese experts Global Times 16 May 2020 -- A successful vaccine against the coronavirus can be administered to humans as early as March in 2021, and difficulties of vaccines research and development are beyond people's imagination, Chinese experts said, urging the US to let its defense down and stop irresponsible actions.
- China can conduct 1.5 mln COVID-19 tests a day: health official Global Times 16 May 2020 -- China is able to conduct 1.5 million nucleic acid tests for COVID-19 every day. Testing capabilities need to be further improved as work and production resume, said a Chinese health official Saturday at a press conference in Beijing.
- China eyes 'protracted battle' against virus, 2 officials ousted in a week for slacking off Global Times 16 May 2020 -- Due to slacking off on epidemic prevention and control, at least two local government and Party officials were ousted this week, which analysts believe, shows China's determination to contain the coronavirus and the country's highly-responsible attitudes toward people's health and safety.
- Plugging loopholes, Vice premier inspects Jilin's COVID-19 response Global Times 16 May 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan this week rushed to Jilin city in Northeast China's Jilin Province, demanding strengthened efforts to plug loopholes in the COVID-19 response while preventing importation and a domestic resurgence of cases.
- Chinese researchers find three Biomarkers to predict COVID-19 death risk Global Times 16 May 2020 -- A research team in Wuhan has built a machine learning model to predict individual mortality in COVID19 patients.
- 10 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospital on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 May 2020 -- Ten patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital after recovery on the Chinese mainland Friday, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- China Reports 8 New COVID-19 Cases, Up From 4 A Day Earlier SPA 16 May 2020 -- Mainland China reported eight new confirmed COVID-19 cases for May 15, up from four the previous day, the National Health Commission (NHC) said in a statement on Saturday, Reuters reported.
- Egypt receives 3rd batch of anti-coronavirus medical aid from China Global Times 16 May 2020 -- The Egyptian authorities received on Saturday the third batch of medical aid from the Chinese government to help the North African country with its fight against the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Mired in uproar and panic, Taiwan's DPP a clown in their self-directed political soap opera: experts Global Times 16 May 2020 -- Mainland analysts warned Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities on the island of Taiwan not to step any further of declaring independence amid the pandemic, as both the mainland's deterrence and US' purported sincerity are rattling the island's ruling party.
- Circular issued clarifying policy on Taiwan-funded enterprises People's Daily 16 May 2020 -- A circular about promoting the development of Taiwan-funded enterprises and projects in the mainland was jointly issued by 10 central departments on Friday, including the National Development and Reform Commission and the State Council Taiwan Affairs Office.
- Classroom Incident Deepens Tensions Between China, Taiwan VOA 16 May 2020 -- Independence-minded Taiwan residents and politicians are in an uproar after officials at a university forced a professor to apologize to his class for saying he is from the ROC (Republic of China), using Taiwan's official name.
- China's PLA beefing up talent pool by hiring new university graduates Global Times 16 May 2020 -- China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has launched online applications to officers' positions on Friday, marking the first time to recruit graduates from non-military universities across the country in 2020, which experts believe will fill the talent gap.
- China to adjust annual legislative session arrangements People's Daily 16 May 2020 -- China's top legislature will adjust its arrangements for the upcoming annual legislative session to prevent the COVID-19 epidemic and safeguard public health, a senior member of the legislature said Friday.
- Xi chairs leadership meeting to discuss draft government work report People's Daily 16 May 2020 -- The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee on Friday held a meeting to discuss the draft government work report, which will be submitted by the State Council to the third annual session of the 13th National People's Congress for deliberation and approval.
- China urges US to stop 'unreasonable suppression' of Huawei Press TV 16 May 2020 -- China has urged the United States to stop the "unreasonable suppression" of Chinese tech giant Huawei as well as other enterprises, as tensions have heightened between the world's two largest economies.
- Beijing Urges US to Halt 'Unreasonable Suppression' of Huawei, Chinese Enterprises Sputnik 16 May 2020 -- The US Commerce Department earlier introduced a new rule aimed at preventing Huawei from being able to "undermine", as it put it, the firm's status as a blacklisted company, requiring suppliers of sophisticated American-made technology seek additional US government licenses before any sales occur.
- China calls on US to pay its debts to United Nations Press TV 16 May 2020 -- China has called on the United States to pay its debts to the United Nations, stressing that Washington owes the international body more than $2 billion.
- IPCC's report comprehensive, objective, fact-based, weighty: HKSAR chief executive Global Times 16 May 2020 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said Friday that the report released by the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) was comprehensive, objective, fact-based and weighty.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list