Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
15 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese Survey Ship Leaves Malaysian Waters After Pressure Campaign Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- On the same day as a call between the defense ministers of Malaysia and China, a Chinese survey ship Friday left the site of a controversial pressure campaign in Malaysian waters that at one point drew Malaysian, Australian, and U.S. warships into the South China Sea.
- China Anti-Crime Campaign in Tibet Used to Punish Critics, Dalai Lama Supporters: HRW Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- A campaign launched two years ago by Chinese authorities in Tibet to combat crime is also targeting political dissidents, critics of corruption, and activists promoting use of the Tibetan language, Human Rights Watch said in a report on Friday.
- Russia calls U.S. accusations against China of spreading COVID-19 groundless People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- Moscow considers the U.S. accusations against China of spreading COVID-19 groundless, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Thursday.
- China says US prolonging coronavirus crisis Press TV 15 May 2020 -- China's ambassador to the United Nations in Vienna says the United States' position against the World Health Organization (WHO) is artificially prolonging the coronavirus pandemic, warning against the consequences of Washington's arbitrary trade barriers on the global economy.
- Shulan outbreak puts 8,000 in quarantine Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Chuanying district in Northeast China's Jilin Province adjusted its epidemic-risk level from low to medium on Friday after a female coronavirus patient was diagnosed, who turned out to be the close contact of a confirmed patient from Shulan that is under the administrative jurisdiction of Jilin city, while cluster infections have placed over 8,000 in quarantine.
- China firmly supports WHO leading role in global COVID-19 fight: official Global Times 15 May 2020 -- China values its cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO) and resolutely supports the WHO's leading role in the global fight against COVID-19, a Chinese health official said Friday.
- China to complete phase 2 clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccines beginning in July: official Global Times 15 May 2020 -- The second phase of clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccines is expected to be completed successively beginning in July, and no major adverse reactions from the trials had been reported so far, a Chinese official said Friday.
- Wuhan tests 3m, to finish citywide tests by May 20 Global Times 15 May 2020 -- The government of Wuhan, the region of China worst hit by COVID-19, announced on Thursday that it will expand nucleic acid testing to cover all of its 11 million residents. It aims to estimate the number of asymptomatic carriers in the city after testing 3 million residents last month.
- Wuhan denies COVID-19 rumor after video goes viral, suspect detained Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Wuhan authorities on Wednesday denied a rumor that armed police called in after COVID-19 patients were spotted at a fresh produce market.
- COVID-19 vaccine could arrive before year's end Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Two COVID-19 vaccine candidates with the China National Biotec Group (CNBG) have been proven safe in current clinical trials and could be available by the end of the year or early 2021, Yang Xiaoming, president of CNBG said in a report on Thursday.
- China spares no effort in epidemic research, information disclosure: official People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- China had carried out research about the novel coronavirus at the fastest possible speed under existing conditions at the early stage of its anti-epidemic work and has been unreserved in sharing information, a Chinese official said Friday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- China's Jilin reports 4 new COVID-19 case People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province reported four new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Thursday, local health authorities said Friday.
- Wuhan's temporary hospitals critical, indispensable in COVID-19 control: experts People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- The 16 temporary hospitals in Wuhan, the Chinese city hit hardest by the COVID-19 epidemic, have played an important and indispensable role in the prevention and control of the disease, a Chinese health official said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported no new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Thursday, and the total number of imported cases was 1,692, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on COVID-19 in China:
- 14 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospital on Chinese mainland People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- Fourteen patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital after recovery on the Chinese mainland Thursday, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Xi calls for vigilance to combat virus People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- President Xi Jinping instructed local governments on Thursday to keep alert on disease prevention and control to avoid a resurgence of the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Chinese products forward global efforts to fight COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- Five foreign military airplanes landed in Shanghai on a same day to pick up coronavirus prevention supplies; the world's largest transport aircraft joined the international convoy to transport medical supplies from China; passenger flights around the world were dispatched to China for medical materials.
- Chinese FM slams Taiwan DPP for colluding with US to seek WHA attendance Global Times 15 May 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday slammed the island of Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for colluding with some countries to seek attendance as an observer at the World Health Assembly (WHA), saying it was politicizing a health problem to serve a secessionist agenda that will never succeed.
- China firmly opposes Taiwan-related proposal to WHO by some countries People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- China on Thursday expressed firm opposition to a so-called proposal by a few countries to invite Taiwan as an observer in the upcoming session of the World Health Assembly (WHA), a foreign ministry spokesperson said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland unveils measures supporting Taiwan-funded enterprises, projects amid epidemic People's Daily 15 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday issued a circular requiring coordinated efforts to support the development of Taiwan-funded enterprises and advance Taiwan-funded projects amid the coronavirus epidemic.
- China to launch last satellite in the Beidou-3 Navigation Satellite System in June Global Times 15 May 2020 -- China will launch in June the last satellite for Beidou-3 Navigation Satellite System, an array of 30 satellites that will provide services to global users, an official said.
- Russia, China slam US plan to extend UN arms embargo on Iran Press TV 15 May 2020 -- China and Russia have rejected US plans to extend a UN arms embargo on Iran along with a probable push to trigger a return of all sanctions on Tehran at the UN Security Council.
- China Rejects US Moves To Extend Iran Arms Embargo, Return Of Sanctions Radio Farda 15 May 2020 -- The Chinese mission to the United Nations in New York on Thursday said the United States "has no longer a right to extend an arms embargo on Iran, let alone to trigger snapback".
- China Marine Corps on Show in the South China Sea Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- Amid the recent muscle-flexing in the disputed South China Sea, one maritime drill went largely unnoticed that could be an important harbinger of China's strategic thinking, and how its forces could project power across heavily contested waters.
- Beijing Hands Scientists Top Award for Nuclear Missile It's Never Admitted to Building Sputnik 15 May 2020 -- The engineers behind a new generation of submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) will receive China's top science prize. However, the Ministry of National Defense has never directly admitted that the missile in question, the JL-3, even exists.
- China readies biggest counterattack against US Global Times 15 May 2020 -- China is ready to take a series of countermeasures against a US plan to block shipments of semiconductors to Chinese telecom firm Huawei, including putting US companies on an "unreliable entity list," launching investigations and imposing restrictions on US companies such as Apple, and halting purchase of Boeing airplanes, a source close to the Chinese government told the Global Times.
- US Intensifies Crackdown on China Intellectual Property Theft VOA 15 May 2020 -- The U.S. Justice Department is aggressively forging ahead with a clampdown on Chinese economic espionage even as the coronavirus pandemic has shuttered much of the country's criminal justice system.
- US Senate Passes Bill Targeting Chinese Officials for Rights Violations VOA 15 May 2020 -- This week the U.S. Senate took aim at China's human rights record, passing a bill that could lead to sanctions for Chinese officials involved in the massive network of prisons and forced labor camps targeting ethnic Muslims in Xinjiang.
- China's Economic Recovery Faces Deflation Risk Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- China's government is promoting increased consumption to keep pace with production as deflationary pressures threaten to stall economic recovery.
- Uygur bill damages worst-in-decades bilateral ties, triggers countermeasures on anti-China politicians: experts Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Chinese and overseas experts and residents of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region firmly opposed the US Senate passage of the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act of 2020, which accuses China of detaining Muslims and threatens to impose sanctions.
- Hong Kong police action justified: report Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Hong Kong police resorted to force only on occasions of violence during last year's social unrest, while there were "areas for improvement" during officers' clashes with protesters, according to a report on public order events since June last year and the police response.
- HK delegation to two sessions to go through unprecedented epidemic control measures Global Times 15 May 2020 -- Most of the Hong Kong delegation to the upcoming annual political meetings will fly to Beijing on Wednesday where they will be under strict epidemic-prevention and control measures during this year's "two sessions," including residing in sealed-off accommodation and meeting rooms, and there might be no 14-day of quarantine when they return to Hong Kong from Beijing, a Hong Kong deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee, told the Global Times.
- Hong Kong Probes Exam Body Amid Political Row Over History Question Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong have announced a probe into the setting of examination questions after the ruling Chinese Communist Party's state media slammed a question asking to consider whether Japan made a positive contribution to China in the first half of the 20th century.
- Hong Kong Mob Attack Victims Hit Out at Official Version of Yuen Long Incident Radio Free Asia 15 May 2020 -- Two victims of an attack by white-clad mobsters in the Hong Kong border town on Yuen Long on July 21, 2019 on Friday hit out at a police-backed report that concluded there was no collusion between police and the attackers, in spite of a long delay in responded to multiple emergency calls on the night, and photos of officers chatting with groups of men wielding weapons in white T-shirts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list