Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Vietnam Encourages Fishermen to Defy China South China Sea Ban Radio Free Asia 12 May 2020 -- Vietnam's government on Tuesday encouraged the nation's fishermen to keep operating around the disputed Paracel Islands despite China's unilaterally-imposed fishing ban in the South China Sea, and directed provincial authorities to support Vietnamese fishermen at sea.
- State Department Must Fill Long-Vacant Post on Tibetan Affairs: Religious Freedoms Group Radio Free Asia 12 May 2020 -- The Trump administration must move quickly to fill a long-vacant State Department position focused on Tibetan issues, a bipartisan U.S. commission monitoring religious freedoms said on Tuesday, calling the Special Coordinator post crucial to mobilizing government resources to address deteriorating religious freedom in the Himalayan region ruled by China.
- Tibetan Families Absent From Their Villages Are Removed From Resettlement Lists, Left Without Homes Radio Free Asia 12 May 2020 -- Hundreds of Tibetan families temporarily absent from their homes in Tibet's Chamdo prefecture have been left without permanent places to live after being struck from the lists of residents now ordered by Chinese authorities to relocate from their ancestral land, Tibetan sources say.
- Wuhan eyes 10-day testing for all residents Global Times 12 May 2020 -- Wuhan is set to conduct a 10-day city-wide coronavirus testing of all its residents, as the city recently reported six new coronavirus cases in the same residential community, sources from Wuhan's health authority confirmed with the Global Times.
- China delivers more medical supplies to Kyrgyzstan to help fight COVID-19 Global Times 12 May 2020 -- China has handed over a second batch of medical supplies to Kyrgyzstan to help combat COVID-19, the Chinese Embassy in Kyrgyzstan said Monday.
- China vows to enhance bio-lab safety Global Times 12 May 2020 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) Monday called for enhanced management at its bio-security laboratories as the country normalizes during its anti-epidemic stage.
- China's National Health Commission dispatches supervising team to Shulan Global Times 12 May 2020 -- The National Health Commission has dispatched a supervising team to Shulan, NE China's Jilin Province, to work together with the local government on prevention and treatment of COVID-19 patients and an epidemiological investigation.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China sees no new COVID-19 deaths for 26 days People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- China had reported no new deaths from the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) for 26 days in a row by Sunday, a health official said Monday.
- 27 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- A total of 27 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported one new imported case of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,691, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Wuhan Residents Fear Second Wave of Coronavirus Infections As Fresh Cases Emerge Radio Free Asia 12 May 2020 -- As fresh coronavirus cases were reported in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, sparking concerns over a second wave of the epidemic there, medical experts in the democratic island of Taiwan said they have developed a herbal treatment for COVID-19.
- Wuhan to Complete COVID-19 Test for Everyone in 10 Days - Reports Sputnik 12 May 2020 -- In response to the reemergence of patients with COVID-19 in the city, local authorities in Wuhan have decided to conduct polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for all local residents in ten days, the Paper, a Shanghai-based state-owned publication, reported on Tuesday.
- Chinese medical team arrives in Zimbabwe to help combat COVID-19 Global Times 12 May 2020 -- A Chinese medical team arrived in Zimbabwe on Monday to assist the southern African country's efforts in the fight against COVID-19.
- Stand-off Between Indian, Chinese Troops Escalates as Fighter Jet, Helicopters Scramble in Ladakh Sputnik 12 May 2020 -- The current stand-off in eastern Ladakh is the second such instance since India and China disengaged in Doklam after a 73-day stand-off in 2017. The Indian Air Force (IAF) scrambled its Su-30MKI after it spotted the movement of military helicopters on the Chinese side of the border last week.
- India Worries China may be Constructing South China Sea-Like Artificial Island in Maldives Sputnik 12 May 2020 -- China and India, which have faced off along the border between the two countries for past few days, remain locked in a silent confrontation despite the COVID-19 pandemic; Beijing's attempts to expand its political influence among the island nations of the Indian Ocean have angered New Delhi.
- Contingency plans in place for Chinese drills in South China Sea CNA 12 May 2020 -- Taiwan said Tuesday that contingency plans are in place for its outlying islands in the South China Sea, following a Japanese media report that the Chinese military is planning to conduct drills in the area to simulate the seizure of one of the islands.
- China launches first satellites for new generation space-borne IoT project Global Times 12 May 2020 -- China has successfully launched the first two communication satellites for its new space-based Internet-of-Things (IoT) project into designated orbit on Tuesday, with the first one named after its birthplace Wuhan, a city once hit hard by the COVID-19, according to China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC), the developer.
- China reveals large destroyer's replenishment training for 1st time Global Times 12 May 2020 -- The Nanchang, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's first Type 055 large destroyer, recently completed its first known maritime replenishment training, an operation that military experts said is crucial for the newly commissioned warship's combat capability.
- Military exercises to be held in Bohai Bay for two and a half months PLA Daily 12 May 2020 -- The official website of the Maritime Safety Administration of the People's Republic of China on May 11 released a notice on military exercises to be held in the waters of the Jingtang Harbour District, Tangshan Port, north China's Hebei Province.
- Two sessions to have fewer attendees, closed-loop management Global Times 12 May 2020 -- Many provinces and cities in China have held their local two sessions with enhanced measures to prevent and control the COVID-19 epidemic, including reducing the number of attendees and providing online interviews, and observers wonder whether these measures could be used for the upcoming national two sessions scheduled next week.
- Hong Kong Journalists Say Police Violence Against Them 'Overwhelming' Radio Free Asia 12 May 2020 -- Journalists in Hong Kong have strongly condemned repeated attacks on media workers by the police during a wave of recent pro-democracy protests in the city.
- Hong Kong Lawmakers Poised to Approve Bill Criminalizing Disrespect of Chinese National Anthem VOA 12 May 2020 -- Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam says the legislature will prioritize a bill that will make it a criminal offense to disrespect China's national anthem.
- Report: Chinese Investment in US Drops to Lowest Level Since 2009 VOA 12 May 2020 -- Chinese investment in the U.S. in 2019 dropped to its lowest level in a decade, a new report estimates, reflecting trade tensions between the world's top two economies even before the coronavirus pandemic took hold.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list