Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un Sends 'Strategic' Praises to Xi Jinping Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un sent a "verbal message" to Chinese President Xi Jinping, praising China's effectiveness in stopping the spread of the coronavirus, according to state media, in what analysts said was a strategic move to shore up Pyongyang's relations with Beijing.
- Cybersecurity Firm Links Chinese Group to Cyber Espionage in Southeast Asia Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- A China-based group has quietly carried out cyber espionage against Southeast Asian governments during the past few years, collecting "specific documents," among other data, from infected computers, a cybersecurity company said in a report.
- Lawmakers brawl at Hong Kong parliament Press TV 08 May 2020 -- Lawmakers get into scuffles at Hong Kong's parliament amid efforts by some of them to interfere with the legislature's routine procedures.
- Chinese company donates supplies to help S. Africa province fight COVID-19 People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- Dr. Zamani Saul, Premier of The Northern Cape Province Government in South Africa, has expressed his thanks to Chinese company Longyuan Mulilo Wind Project for its donations to help fight the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Chinese military medical experts provide training to Myanmar military medical staff for COVID-19 fight PLA Daily 08 May 2020 -- Medical experts from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Thursday provided necessary training to Myanmar's military medical staff who will be assigned to work at a COVID-19 treatment center soon.
- German intelligence doubts US theory about Chinese lab origin of COVID-19: report Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Germany's Federal Intelligence Service (BND) is having doubts regarding Washington's claims that the coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory, German magazine Der Spiegel reported. The country's government has not commented on the report yet.
- No evidence that novel coronavirus was man-made in China: UK Health Secretary People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- The British government has not seen any evidence to suggest that the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 was man-made, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.
- WHO Expert Believes Wuhan Wet Market Played Role in COVID Outbreak VOA 08 May 2020 -- A World Health Organization food and animal disease expert said Friday that he believes a market in the Chinese city of Wuhan selling live animals likely played a significant role in the emergence of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, but more research is needed to determine precisely how.
- Xi chairs symposium with non-CPC members on COVID-19 response Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Friday presided over a symposium to hear comments and suggestions from non-CPC members on COVID-19 prevention and control.
- Chinese FM's press briefings dedicated to refuting Pompeo's rumors Global Times 08 May 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry's recent regular press conferences have largely turned into a forum to refute rumors spread by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- China issues guidelines on wearing masks in public places as country enters prevention, control stage Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Chinese central government Friday issued guidelines on normalized epidemic prevention and control measures, including requirements on wearing masks in public places, promotion of health codes and allowing entertainment places to reopen with a reservation system and client-limiting measures.
- Chinese researchers detect COVID-19 in semen samples Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Chinese researchers have detected COVID-19 in semen samples from male coronavirus patients. Whether or not the disease is sexually transmissible is unknown.
- Chinese firms cautious of shifting US medical supply standards Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Chinese mask producers recently barred by US authorities due to quality issues will spur domestic manufacturers to strengthen quality supervision to help the world fight the COVID-19 pandemic, while exporters should also be cautious to receive orders due to various standards and shifting restrictions from different markets, Chinese industry insiders said on Friday.
- Chinese mainland has 260 existing COVID-19 cases, lowest since late January People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- The number of existing confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on the Chinese mainland dropped to 260 for Thursday, the lowest since Jan. 20, said a national health official Friday.
- China introduces guidelines on regular COVID-19 epidemic containment People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- China has put in place a set of guidelines to facilitate regular prevention and control of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic, according to a senior health official.
- More provincial-level regions to further lower COVID-19 response levels in China People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- More provincial-level regions in China have decided to lower the public health emergency response for the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Shanghai to further lower COVID-19 response level People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- Shanghai will further lower its public health emergency response for the COVID-19 epidemic from the second level to the third level starting Saturday, the municipal government information office said Friday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 34 consecutive days People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland has 219 existing imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- As of Thursday, the Chinese mainland has 219 imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that remained hospitalized, with five in severe conditions, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday that it received report of one new confirmed COVID-19 case on the Chinese mainland Thursday.
- Marine Life Declines for Another Year in Contested, Overfished South China Sea VOA 08 May 2020 -- Marine life in the politically disputed South China Sea took another hit over the past year, researchers said, due to overfishing and lack of international efforts to protect species.
- Trial version of China's new-generation spaceship safely returns to Earth Global Times 08 May 2020 -- The trial version of China's new-generation manned spaceship, which was launched by the Long March-5B in its maiden flight on Tuesday, has successfully made its re-entry to Earth and returned to its designated landing site at 1:49 pm Friday, China's Manned Space Agency announced.
- Chang Zheng-5B, China's Response to the US Lunar Project Sputnik 08 May 2020 -- China is able to compete with the United States in the exploitation of moon resources. Successful testing of the Chang Zheng-5B heavy-lift rocket is an important step in this direction, Sergei Filipenkov, a Russian aviation and cosmonautics expert, said, commenting on the US Artemis Accords lunar project.
- China urged to expand nuclear arsenal to deter US warmongers Global Times 08 May 2020 -- Facing rising strategic threats from the US, China needs to increase its number of nuclear warheads and complete a technologically advanced nuclear triad by developing the H-20 strategic stealth bomber and JL-3 submarine-launched ballistic missiles to deter potential impulsive military action by US warmongers, experts said on Friday.
- China needs to increase its nuclear warheads to 1,000 Global Times 08 May 2020 -- China needs to expand the number of its nuclear warheads to 1,000 in a relatively short time. It needs to have at least 100 Dongfeng-41 strategic missiles.
- Beijing Media Calls for Quadrupling China's Nuclear Weapons as US Continues Encirclement Sputnik 08 May 2020 -- In a Friday op-ed, Global Times editor-in-chief Hu Xijin called for China to quadruple its nuclear weapons stockpile from 260 to 1,000 weapons amid unprecedented pressure by the United States. In recent years, Washington has declared reversing China's rise and undermining the Chinese Communist Party its primary geostrategic goals.
- Chinese airborne troops accelerate transformation PLA Daily 08 May 2020 -- A commissioning ceremony for a type of wheeled armored vehicle (WAV) independently developed by China was held in a combined arms brigade of the airborne troops under the PLA Air Force on May 6.
- EU Allows China to Edit Op-Ed Article, Removing Mention of Virus Origins Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- The European Union ambassador to Beijing has allowed the Chinese foreign ministry to censor a joint opinion piece penned by EU ambassadors to remove a reference to the coronavirus originating in China.
- Media Advocates Urge West to Resist China's Censorship After EU Letter Controversy VOA 08 May 2020 -- Press freedom advocates say China's censorship of a letter co-authored by 27 European Union ambassadors that contained a reference to the origins of the coronavirus is another example of how the lack of press freedom in the country has caused problems for the world.
- US diplomat warns Arab allies against ties with China Press TV 08 May 2020 -- A top US diplomat has called on Washington's Arab allies in the Persian Gulf to perform "due diligence" in their relationship with the United States, while dealing with its rival, China.
- China's Recovery May Boost Carbon Emissions Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- This year's record drop in carbon emissions due to the COVID-19 crisis has renewed questions about China's continued push for coal-fired power as the government pursues economic recovery.
- Guards Drag Pro-Democracy Lawmakers From Hong Kong Legislature Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- Pro-democracy lawmakers were dragged out of Hong Kong's Legislative Council (LegCo) on Friday at the behest of a pro-Beijing lawmaker whose legal powers to have them removed were immediately questioned.
- Rival Lawmakers Scuffle in Hong Kong's Legislative Council VOA 08 May 2020 -- A fight broke out in Hong Kong's legislature Friday as pro-democracy and pro-China lawmakers sparred over selecting the chairperson of a key committee.
- US Senate to 'Soon' Vote on Bill Targeting Chinese Officials Over Rights Violations in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 08 May 2020 -- The U.S. Senate is likely to soon vote to approve the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act, which would allow for sanctions against officials deemed responsible for rights violations in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), according to media reports.
- 'Don't Forget Chen Qiushi,' Friend of Chinese Journalist Says VOA 08 May 2020 -- A friend of Chen Qiushi, who reported on Hong Kong democracy protests and COVID-19 before going missing February 6, has urged the world to not forget the citizen journalist's plight.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list