Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China resists politically driven COVID-19 probes Global Times 07 May 2020 -- Any investigation to define the time and origin of the novel coronavirus should be based on a rigorous scientific study, which can't be interpreted in a political context nor based on presumptions of guilt, Chinese officials and experts said as the World Health Organization (WHO) mulls on a new mission to China to seek the origin of the virus amid growing noises, particularly some ill-intentioned attempts from US politicians in pursuing viral conspiracies as part of a smear campaign against China, posing a serious threat to the global combat against the disease.
- Country backs WHO probe into virus origin People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- The Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday that China stands ready to continue close cooperation with the World Health Organization to find the origin of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, but it firmly opposes any political manipulation under the guise of an investigation of its origin.
- Washington's 'blame China initiative' faces setback Global Times 07 May 2020 -- Unable to provide the "enormous evidence" he apparently made up to sustain his conspiracy theory, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday finally conceded that he couldn't be certain that the coronavirus originated from a Wuhan lab.
- Beijing on Probe Into COVID-19 Origins: China Has Always Been Open to Cooperation With WHO Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- The day before, UK Health Minister Matt Hancock said as quoted by Reuters that Britain has not seen any evidence that the new coronavirus is man-made.
- China denounces US for shifting blame over COVID-19 pandemic Press TV 07 May 2020 -- China has lambasted the United States for trying to shift the blame over the COVID-19 disease after President Donald Trump claimed that the global pandemic was a worse "attack" compared to Pearl Harbor or September 11, 2001 attacks.
- China classifies all counties as COVID-19 low-risk areas People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- China classifies all counties as low-risk for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from Thursday, a health official said.
- China's Heilongjiang classified as COVID-19 low-risk area People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- China's Heilongjiang Province has been classified as a low-risk region.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 33 consecutive days People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province for Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Daily new imported cases less than 10 for a week: Chinese official People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- The daily number of newly confirmed imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on the Chinese mainland has been less than ten for a week, said a Chinese health official on Wednesday.
- Heilongjiang's daily capacity of nucleic acid testing exceeds 90,000 People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province has achieved a daily nucleic acid testing capacity for COVID-19 of more than 90,000 samples as of Wednesday, according to the provincial health commission.
- NW China's Ningxia further lowers COVID-19 emergency response level People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- Northwest China's Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region has further downgraded its emergency response toward the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, local authorities said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,680, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- 46 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- Forty-six patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged Wednesday from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that no new domestically transmitted cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported on the Chinese mainland on Wednesday.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- Xi: Nation cannot afford complacency People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- A key Party meeting on Wednesday stressed the need to reform China's disease prevention and control system and bolster its monitoring and early warning capacities for outbreaks in a bid to close the gaps and strengthen weak areas exposed in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- China reaffirms commitment to expand medical supply exports Global Times 07 May 2020 -- With a commitment to the public health across the world, China is trying hard to meet the international community's growing demand for medical products, while continuing to strengthen quality supervision over export orders in a bid to provide qualified products to help the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, an official said on Thursday.
- Pandemic curbing China-Russia trade Global Times 07 May 2020 -- Trade between China and Russia may drop 50 percent in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic, which is spreading in Russia. However, the long-term trade outlook between the two giants is promising, experts and business leaders said.
- Chinese scientists release world's first animal trials report of COVID-19 vaccine candidate, showing positive results People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- One of China's COVID-19 vaccine candidates has proven effective in protecting monkeys from the novel coronavirus, according to a report released on May 6 in Science magazine, in the world's first report on animal trial results for COVID-19 vaccine candidates.
- PLA medical expert team fights COVID-19 in Pakistan PLA Daily 07 May 2020 -- An anti-pandemic medical expert team dispatched by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) arrived in Pakistan on April 24 amid the outbreak of COVID-19, and then immediately devoted themselves to local pandemic control and patient.
- US Rejects N95 Masks From 7 China Firms for Failure to Block COVID-19 - Regulator Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- The United States withdrew emergency use authorization for Chinese-made N95 respirator masks made by seven companies because tests show the devices do not protect users from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) as advertised, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced in a press release.
- Indonesia Summons Ambassador over Deaths on Chinese Fishing Boats Radio Free Asia 07 May 2020 -- Officials in Jakarta summoned the Chinese ambassador Thursday over the deaths of four Indonesians and the treatment of others who allegedly worked in harsh conditions aboard Chinese fishing boats since December 2019.
- China's experimental new-generation manned spaceship works normally in orbit People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- The trial version of China's new-generation manned spaceship is now working normally in orbit, having completed a series of operations as planned, according to the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) on Wednesday.
- Photos spark talk of 2nd stealth fighter's PLA commissioning Global Times 07 May 2020 -- The maker of the FC-31, China's second stealth fighter jet following the J-20, recently revealed photos of a scale model of the aircraft painted with the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) insignia, a move military observers said suggested the warplane might join PLA service, despite being a made-for-export model.
- PCL-181 brings great improvement for PLA artillery troops PLA Daily 07 May 2020 -- Recently, it has been widely reported that China's new generation of 155mm vehicle-mounted howitzers, the PCL-181, have been delivered to troops of a brigade under the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command in batches. This reveals both the renewal of the main equipment, and even the overall improvement of the authorization system, tactical thinking, and equipment system of the PLA Army artillery troops.
- Chinese FM slams Pompeo for making up 'pack of lies' Global Times 07 May 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Thursday slammed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for making up a "pack of lies," urging US politicians who indulged in blame games to focus more on saving American lives.
- HK needs central govt support Global Times 07 May 2020 -- Under the combined impact of social unrest and the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) is facing another tough year in 2020, with anti-government and separatist forces preparing to take more action in June to extend the turmoil.
- Two sessions likely to shorten, number of reporters cut Global Times 07 May 2020 -- This year's two sessions, which have been pushed back to late May because of the coronavirus epidemic, are likely to be shortened to one week and see fewer reporters covering the event, delegates and reporters told the Global Times.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list