Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Pompeo Says US Intelligence 'Still Figuring Out' Where Coronavirus Began as Trump Blames China Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- The spate of recriminations over the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic escalated last week after the US president accused China of 'concealing' the outbreak and mismanaging its containment, going so far as to claim the pandemic was the result of a leak at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Chinese officials have forcefully denounced the claims.
- Top U.S. general says "we don't know" where coronavirus originated People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley said on Tuesday that "we don't know" where the coronavirus originated.
- Fauci dismisses theory coronavirus originated in Chinese lab People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- Top U.S. infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated.
- More virus evidence slaps Trump's China theory Global Times 06 May 2020 -- Mounting scientific evidence suggesting COVID-19 may have surfaced earlier than reported in countries beyond China and global scientists' contradiction of US politicians, including US President Donald Trump's assertion that the virus originated from a Wuhan lab were a slap in the face of the Trump administration's "rancorous monodrama" of scapegoating China, which is seen as a political farce to the world.
- Pompeo spars with reporters over Wuhan lab claims Press TV 06 May 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has defended claims that there is evidence showing the covid-19 came from a lab in the Chinese province of China.
- U.S.: Russia, China Spinning Coronavirus Conspiracies To Blame West RFE/RL 06 May 2020 -- China and Russia are promoting "false narratives" on social media that blame the West for the coronavirus pandemic while casting their countries as best-equipped to deal with the crisis, U.S. officials say.
- A Wuhan Lab is at the Centre of the Coronavirus Origin Conspiracy. Here is What is Known About It Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- While scientists' attention is focused on a vaccine for the new coronavirus, politicians have begun raising questions as to where the virus came from. As the blame game goes international, a high-security lab at the epicentre of the pandemic in China has risen from obscurity.
- China's UN envoy slams 'absurd' US politicization of new coronavirus Press TV 06 May 2020 -- China's UN ambassador in Geneva has ruled out inviting international experts to investigate the source of the novel coronavirus until achieving the "final victory" over the COVID-19, amid what he described as the US politicization of the virus.
- 21 Chinese provincial-level regions lower COVID-19 response to level 3 Global Times 06 May 2020 -- A total of 21 Chinese provinces and regions have lowered their public emergency response level for COVID-19 to level three after Shandong and Henan did so on Wednesday.
- Beijing reports no new COVID-19 cases for 19 consecutive days People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- Beijing had seen no newly confirmed locally-transmitted or imported COVID-19 cases for 19 consecutive days as of Monday, according to a municipal government official Tuesday.
- More Chinese provinces further lower COVID-19 response level People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- More Chinese provinces decided to further downgrade its public health emergency response for COVID-19 as the nationwide battle against the epidemic has gained major strategic achievements.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- No newly confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,678, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- No new locally transmitted cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Tuesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 32 consecutive days People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- No newly confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province for Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China bought time for world with responsible stance - Turkish experts PLA Daily 06 May 2020 -- China has bought the world time to prepare for the COVID-19 outbreak, and has been acting in a responsible manner during this health crisis, some Turkish experts have said.
- Coronavirus Tops Agenda As EU Aims To Counter Russia, China In Western Balkans RFE/RL 06 May 2020 -- Leaders of the European Union and six Balkan states with hopes of entering the bloc will gather for an online summit on May 6 that has been overshadowed by the coronavirus pandemic.
- EU Woos Balkans With More Aid As Russia, China Vie For Influence RFE/RL 06 May 2020 -- Leaders of the European Union have reaffirmed their "unequivocal support" for six Western Balkan states to eventually become members of the bloc and offered them fresh financial support as the region struggles to cope with the coronavirus crisis.
- China Says Marriages Between Tibetans, Chinese Will Strengthen 'Ethnic Unity' Radio Free Asia 06 May 2020 -- Chinese officials in public meetings held in Tibet's Shigatse prefecture are promoting marriages between Tibetans and Han Chinese, as a new "ethnic unity" law goes into effect in what Tibetans say is another assault on their cultural identity, already weakened by decades of Chinese migration into the region.
- China's Marine Corps to operate in all terrains around globe to serve nation Global Times 06 May 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy Marine Corps is striving to become a multidimensional force that operates beyond oceans and fights in all terrains around the world to serve as a fast-reacting force to protect China's growing overseas interests, in addition to the conventional task of conducting amphibious landing missions, like securing islands and reefs close to the mainland, potentially including those in the South China Sea and the island of Taiwan, experts said on Wednesday.
- Chinese peacekeepers in Lebanon pass UN exams PLA Daily 06 May 2020 -- The 18th Chinese Construction Engineering Unit (CHINCEU) to Lebanon passed the 2020 defense capacity evaluation conducted by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) on April 30, local time. Moreover, all members of the unit passed the accreditation for the qualification of humanitarian landmine clearance.
- US politician's May Fourth Movement speech mocked Global Times 06 May 2020 -- Despite great efforts US President Donald Trump's advisor Matt Pottinger made in his speech on the May Fourth Movement - delivering it in Putonghua and trying to link the movement to US values - Pottinger was faced with overwhelming mockery and criticism from Chinese analysts and netizens for his unrealistic illusions and incomprehension of Chinese society and his obvious purpose of provoking clashes within China.
- Pottinger's wrong on May 4th Movement, should mind own business: FM Global Times 06 May 2020 -- US Deputy National Security Advisor Matt Pottinger, who thinks he knows China well, does not know China that well and does not know anything about the May Fourth spirit, as he has a strong prejudice against China, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday in response to Pottinger's speech on the May Fourth movement.
- China Lambastes Trump's Threat of Using Tariffs as 'Weapon' Amid Mutual Recriminations Over COVID-19 Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- US President Donald Trump said on 30 April his trade deal with China was now of secondary importance to the coronavirus pandemic as he threatened Beijing with new tariffs amid allegations over the country's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- China's full payment of its dues demonstrates support for UN: mission PLA Daily 06 May 2020 -- China on Monday paid the remaining balance of its membership dues, completing its full payment to the United Nations (UN) regular budget for the year 2020, said China's Permanent Mission to the UN on Tuesday.
- China's 'Wolf Warrior' Diplomacy Prompts International Backlash VOA 06 May 2020 -- Late last year, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi gathered together his country's envoys for a pep talk, telling them they needed to be more assertive in representing Beijing's interests overseas and vocal in defending the Chinese Communist government from criticism.
- In China, Even Simple Online Campaign for COVID-19 Dead Is Target for Censorship VOA 06 May 2020 -- Wuhan resident Zhang Hai posted an announcement on a Chinese social media platform this week asking for donations to build a monument that would have the names and photos of all the coronavirus victims in China.
- Sentencing, Arrest of Activists Are Signs of China's Unrelenting Crackdown VOA 06 May 2020 -- China's recent sentencing of a blogger and its arrest of a veteran rights activist indicate that Beijing is determined to continue silencing any critics of the ruling party and government.
- Chinese Undermining Democratic Institutions in Central Europe, Eurasia: Report Radio Free Asia 06 May 2020 -- China's foreign policy has increasingly weakened democratic institutions in at least 20 countries throughout Central Europe and Central Asia, weakening oversight and bolstering the power of authoritarian leaders, a new U.S. think tank report said Wednesday.
- China Steps Up Security in Beijing, Detains Activist Ahead of Congress Radio Free Asia 06 May 2020 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital have stepped up security measures ahead of annual parliamentary sessions that were postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic, detaining at least one rights activist.
- Black-clad rioters must be eliminated for Hong Kong to enjoy peace: spokesperson Global Times 06 May 2020 -- Hong Kong will not enjoy a peaceful day unless black-clad rioters are eliminated, and the central government will not sit and watch this destructive force wantonly do whatever they crazily wish, the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council said on Wednesday.
- Central gov't spokesperson denounces violence in HKSAR People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- A spokesperson for the State Council Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office on Wednesday denounced violence and the "burn with us" mentality in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), calling them the political viruses of Hong Kong society and the enemy of the "one country, two systems" policy.
- China says 'political virus' of violent protests must be removed in Hong Kong Press TV 06 May 2020 -- China says violent protests in Hong Kong are a "political virus" that must be removed in order to restore calm to the territory.
- China Slams Hong Kong Democracy Movement as 'Political Virus' Radio Free Asia 06 May 2020 -- China on Wednesday stepped up its use of anti-terrorism rhetoric regarding the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong, calling it a "political virus" and a "dark, destructive force."
- Unknown malfunction during cargo return capsule re-entry: CMSA Global Times 06 May 2020 -- A test version of China's first flexible and inflatable cargo return capsule, which was launched into orbit on Tuesday by the Long March-5B's maiden flight, experienced a failure during its re-entry to Earth due to an unknown malfunction, the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) announced on Wednesday.
- China's new spaceship in steady flight form, good working condition: CMSA Global Times 06 May 2020 -- The trial version of China's new-generation manned spaceship has completed duties including solar sail deployment, relay antenna deployment and autonomous orbit control four times after being launched by the Long March-5B carrier rocket, China's Manned Space Agency (CMSA) announced on Wednesday.
- Long March-5B rocket enables China to construct space station PLA Daily 06 May 2020 -- Construction of China's space station moves a step closer with the successful maiden flight of its new large carrier rocket, the Long March-5B, on Tuesday.
- Congratulatory message hails Long March 5B maiden flight PLA Daily 06 May 2020 -- The success of the first flight mission of China's new large carrier rocket Long March 5B marks a good beginning for the country's space station program, said a congratulatory message sent by the central authorities on Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list