Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Coast Guard Increases Presence at Scarborough Shoal Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- The China Coast Guard deployed three ships to the Scarborough Shoal on Tuesday, days after China announced a ban on fishing there and at other disputed parts of the South China Sea, ship-tracking software shows.
- The Long March-5B completes a successful maiden flight, officially kicking off China's space station construction Global Times 05 May 2020 -- China's latest state-of-the-art carrier rocket, the Long March-5B, made a successful maiden flight on Tuesday, during which the new rocket managed to send the assembly of a trial version of the country's new-generation manned spaceship with no crew and a testing cargo-returning spacecraft into planned orbit. The successful launch signaled that a new era of the construction of China's manned space projects including space stations has been officially ushered in, according to rocket developer and space industry insiders.
- Long March-5B a successful comeback after two failed space launch missions: China's Manned Space Agency Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Tuesday's successful debut flight of the Long March-5B, which came after the previous consecutive launch failures in March and April, declares a huge comeback for China's space program, pumping confidence into the country's future space missions, according to Ji Qiming, an official with China's Manned Space Agency (CMSA) on Tuesday.
- Long March 5B launch marks new stage in China's manned space program PLA Daily 05 May 2020 -- China's Long March 5B carrier rocket made its debut flight from the Wenchang Space Launch Center in Hainan province on Tuesday evening, with the China Manned Space Agency saying it marked a new chapter in the country's manned space program.
- China to conduct the debut flight of Long March 5B carrier rocket PLA Daily 05 May 2020 -- China will conduct the debut flight of its Long March 5B carrier rocket at 6 pm on Tuesday at the Wenchang Space Launch Center in South China's Hainan province, according to the China Manned Space Agency.
- Chinese Railway Workers Are Put Under Quarantine Upon Return to Laos Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- Chinese laborers working on a high-speed rail line connecting landlocked Laos with its northern neighbor China are being allowed to re-enter Laos if they go into quarantine to address COVID-19 concerns which have kept the country's border closed to others, Lao sources say.
- China donates medical equipment, accessories to Myanmar's COVID-19 testing laboratory PLA Daily 05 May 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Monday donated medical equipment and accessories to a newly-built laboratory of Myanmar's military hospital for testing COVID-19.
- Pentagon Does Not Know Where COVID-19 Originated - Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- The US Department of Defence "does not know" where the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) originated, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mark Milley, told reporters on Tuesday.
- Top US general: We don't know if coronavirus emerged from Chinese lab Press TV 05 May 2020 -- A top US general says it is still unknown whether the coronavirus emerged from a wet market in China, a laboratory or some other location, but reaffirmed the US view that it was probably not man-made.
- WHO, intel reject Trump, Pompeo's claim COVID-19 came from Wuhan lab Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The World Health Organization says the US has provided no evidence to support US President Donald Trump's claim that the coronavirus originated in a Chinese lab.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 31 consecutive days People's Daily 05 May 2020 -- No newly confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province for Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that no new domestically transmitted cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported on the Chinese mainland for Monday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2020 -- No newly confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province for Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- City in S China's Guangdong reports discharged COVID-19 patient tested positive, putting 31 in quarantine Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Local authorities in Maoming, a city in South China's Guangdong Province, tracked down 31 close contacts of a recovered coronavirus patient who had tested positive again last Thursday, and 26 of them returned negative test results, the local government said on Tuesday.
- 87 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Eighty-seven patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals after recovery Monday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission Tuesday.
- China to expand COVID-19 cooperation special fund, says envoy at global pledging event Global Times 05 May 2020 -- China will take further steps, including expanding the special fund on COVID-19 cooperation as necessary and considering donating to the United Nations Global Humanitarian Response Plan, to strengthen global cooperation and defeat the pandemic at an early date, a Chinese envoy said at the Coronavirus Global Response pledging event Monday.
- WHO reiterates PRC's status as only one legitimate representative of China within UN system People's Daily 05 May 2020 -- The People's Republic of China (PRC) is the only one legitimate representative of China within the UN system, an official from the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- China conducts naval drills in S.China Sea, prepares for post-pandemic US military provocations Global Times 05 May 2020 -- With an ace pilot of an aircraft carrier-based fighter jet flying above, warships sailing below and anti-submarine aircraft conducting surveillance in the South China Sea, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is ready to defend against any US military provocation, even if the US resumes use of its aircraft carriers that are affected by COVID-19, analysts said on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong Coalition launched to uphold 'one country, two systems' Global Times 05 May 2020 -- The launch ceremony of the Hong Kong Coalition took place on Tuesday in Hong Kong. In a joint declaration, the coalition called for adherence to the "one country, two systems" principle and noted that only by upholding it can the city have value of existence and space for development.
- HKSAR chief executive vows more measures to prop up economy in Hong Kong Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the HKSAR government will roll out more measures to prop up economy.
- Hong Kong Court Issues Travel Ban to Pro-Democracy Media Tycoon Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- A Hong Kong court on Tuesday slapped a travel ban on pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai, who is awaiting trial on charges of taking part in an "illegal assembly" during last year's protests, as well as allegations of "intimidation."
- Sinopec reports hefty losses for Q1 Global Times 05 May 2020 -- China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), China's largest oil refiner, reported a loss of 19.78 billion yuan (about 2.83 billion U.S. dollars) in the first quarter of the year.
- Chinese State Media, Scholars Snub Trump Threats of New Tariffs VOA 05 May 2020 -- State media and scholars in China Monday snubbed U.S. President Donald Trump after he said he would resume hiked tariffs on Chinese imports if it fails to buy an additional $200 billion more of American goods and services in the next two years as pledged.
- China warned to prepare for armed confrontation with US over virus backlash Press TV 05 May 2020 -- An internal report has warned Chinese leaders of the possibility of a military confrontation with the United States as tensions grow with Washington over accusations that Beijing has mishandled the new coronavirus outbreak.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list