Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 May 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Vietnamese, Philippine Fishermen Protest China's Fishing Ban in SCS Radio Free Asia 04 May 2020 -- Fishermen's associations in Vietnam and the Philippines protested Monday China's annual summer fishing ban in the South China Sea and called for their national governments to oppose it, amid the threat of strict enforcement by the China Coast Guard.
- Xi Jinping Receives Warning of Potential Military Conflict With US, Report Claims Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has added another point of tension to an increasingly souring relationship between the United States and China. As the Trump administration fuels anti-Chinese sentiment, details in a reported internal government document reveal how the worst-case scenario looks like.
- China Accuses Pompeo of Lying About Origin of Coronavirus VOA 04 May 2020 -- China accused U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday of "wantonly spewing poison and spreading lies" about the origin of the worldwide coronavirus pandemic.
- China Reportedly Concealed 'Severity' of COVID-19 to Stock Medical Supplies Ahead of Pandemic - DHS Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- The US has been criticizing China's response to the COVID-19 outbreak, first identified in Wuhan, Hubei in December 2019, as slow and inadequate in its early stages, with Donald Trump subsequently stating he's seen evidence suggesting the coronavirus originated in a lab in Wuhan.
- Trump on COVID-19: China 'Made Horrible Mistake', 'Tried to Cover It' Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- President Trump has repeatedly suggested the new coronavirus could have originated in a laboratory in China's Wuhan, where COVID-19 was first registered in December 2019.
- Chinese State Media Calls Out Mike Pompeo's 'Bluffing' Over Coronavirus Origin Claims Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- The Trump administration has claimed it has evidence that the virus SARS-CoV-2 originated in a Wuhan lab where some of the world's most dangerous pathogens are studied. China denies that the virus had been leaked from the lab, and the WHO also believes it wasn't man-made.
- China slams Pompeo's 'insane' remarks about coronavirus lab origin Press TV 04 May 2020 -- Upbraiding Mike Pompeo for his recent remarks, China says what the US secretary of state has said about the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic is "insane and evasive."
- Lockdown programs in China prove successful for curbing spread of COVID-19: expert People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- The lockdown programs in Wuhan and other parts of China have proven successful and helpful for other countries for the effective control and prevention of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), a world-renowned expert has said.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 30 consecutive days People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Five questions Washington needs to answer on coronavirus pandemic People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- The United States has confirmed over 1 million COVID-19 cases in just some 100 days after it reported the first case on Jan. 21, making itself the new epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic worldwide.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported three new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,675, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- 53 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- A total of 53 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Sunday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission Monday.
- Pentagon Accuses Russia, China of 'Exploiting' Coronavirus to Sow Division Between US, Italy Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- Russia and China's efforts to help Italy, one of the countries hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic in recent months, have prompted some observers to rethink the significance of Rome's European and trans-Atlantic alliances. The US is concerned about this, Mark Esper says.
- China's New Stealth Bomber Expected to Make First Public Appearance Before End of Year - Report Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- According to an unnamed source in the People's Liberation Army (PLA), China's new H-20 stealth bomber will likely make its first public appearance at the Zhuhai Air Show in November, assuming the event isn't cancelled by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Two Advances for Chinese Navy after Monthlong Aircraft Carrier Voyage near Japan, Taiwan VOA 04 May 2020 -- China's navy just learned from a monthlong aircraft carrier training mission how to keep troops safe from COVID-19 and what it would be like to spar with Japan or Taiwan, analysts believe.
- Regular Press Conference of the Ministry of National Defense on Apr. 30 PLA Daily 04 May 2020
- Remarks by Deputy National Security Advisor Matt Pottinger to the Miller Center at the University of Virginia The White House 04 May 2020
- US Warns China Faces Populist Backlash VOA 04 May 2020 -- A top U.S. official behind the Trump administration's China policies is reaching out directly to the Chinese people in pressing U.S. concerns over China's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Trump Aide, Speaking in Chinese, Chides Beijing For Stifling China's Democratic Hopes Radio Free Asia 04 May 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's top Asia adviser deployed fluent Chinese Monday in a speech chastising China's rulers for thwarting their people's century-long quest for democracy--likening censored coronavirus doctors and Hong Kong protesters to key figures in "a long-running struggle for the soul of modern China."
- Police Arrest Professor Who Linked Virus to The Chinese Communist Party Radio Free Asia 04 May 2020 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital have formally arrested a retired professor who called COVID-19 a "Chinese Communist Party (CCP) virus," as supporters of the ruling party unleash a political backlash against its critics and the authorities investigate supporters of Wuhan Diary author Fang Fang.
- State Security Police Raid House Church Meeting in Chinese Port City of Xiamen Radio Free Asia 04 May 2020 -- Authorities in the southeastern Chinese city of Xiamen are holding nine people after hundreds of police raided a Protestant church gathering at the weekend, RFA has learned.
- HK Q1 economy posts biggest contraction since 1974 Global Times 04 May 2020 -- Hong Kong's economy fell 8.9 percent in real terms in the first quarter from the year be-fore, the most significant drop since the first quarter of 1974. That's when the quarterly numbers became available, according to official estimates on Monday, illustrating the economic shock of the COVID-19 outbreak that has pushed the local economy deeper in the red.
- Liaison office of China's central gov't in HKSAR condemns foreign interference in HK affairs People's Daily 04 May 2020 -- The Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Sunday expressed strong condemnation of and firm opposition to the blatant interference in Hong Kong affairs and the malicious smear of "one country, two systems" by Western anti-China politicians and organization.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list