Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese enterprises lend a big hand to Africa to combat COVID-19 People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- Chinese enterprises, while maintaining strict containment measures at home, are actively helping Africa upgrade its hospitals to cope with the exacerbating COVID-19 pandemic on the continent with a vision to build a community with a shared future for mankind.
- China Holds Three Activists Linked to Censored Articles About Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2020 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital are holding three people in connection with the online storage of content censored by the ruling Chinese Communist Party, including posts and articles about the early days of the coronavirus epidemic, on a page hosted by the coding site GitHub.
- China Slams India's Decision to Stop Using 'Faulty' Chinese Rapid Test Kits VOA 28 Apr 2020 -- A decision by India to suspend the use of Chinese rapid testing kits for COVID-19 on the grounds that they are faulty has been slammed by the Chinese embassy in New Delhi as "unfair and irresponsible."
- Navarro's coronavirus test kit accusation groundless: Chinese commerce ministry Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- White House adviser Peter Navarro's accusation about coronavirus test kits China sent to the US is groundless and extremely irresponsible, China's commerce ministry said on Tuesday.
- China slams US 'barefaced lies' over virus handling Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- China has accused American politicians of telling "barefaced lies" in the time of the coronavirus pandemic, after US President Donald Trump threatened to seek damages from Beijing for the outbreak.
- China rejects Aussie 'economic coercion' claim Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has dismissed claims that China is using "economic coercion" against Australia after Australia called for an independent review into the origins and spread of COVID-19, which the Chinese Ambassador said could trigger Chinese public dissatisfaction.
- Shanghai blocks 2 million substandard masks from entering the market amid COVID-19 Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai has blocked over two million fake and substandard-quality masks from entering the market amid the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, said local police.
- Beijing's SARS treatment hospital clears all COVID-19 cases Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- Xiaotangshan Hospital, which was previously used to quarantine SARS patients in Beijing, cleared all COVID-19 cases Tuesday and is scheduled to cease operation Wednesday.
- 430 silent carriers in Wuhan after lockdown removal, none turns into confirmed case Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- Officials with the Wuhan Health Commission said that since the lockdown restrictions were lifted on April 8, the city has reported 430 cases of asymptomatic infections, while none of them have turned into confirmed infections.
- Hong Kong to extend mandatory quarantine for inbound travelers from Chinese mainland for another month Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will extend mandatory quarantine for all inbound travelers from the Chinese mainland that will expire on May 7 for another one month to June 7 amid the COVID-19 epidemic.
- The end of May a vital point for pandemic development: Chinese top respiratory expert Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- When will the deadly COVID-19 pandemic reach an inflection point? Chinese top respiratory specialist Zhong Nanshan said that it depends on the pandemic situation outside China, especially in the US.
- Tibet stays alert on imported COVID-19 cases with closed ports and strict administration Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region has been applying strict measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, which have reached the most remote areas in the country. The medical authority in China also has sent experts to Tibet to enhance border administration and avoid imported cases from neighbor countries.
- Wuhan doctors share COVID-19 experience with US counterparts to foster closer bond Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- As Wuhan recovers from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic thanks to efforts from medical personnel, the virus continues to wreak havoc in many parts of the world, especially in the US, which has reported the world's largest number of infections.
- Chinese firm's COVID-19 research data hacked Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- COVID-19 lab research data and coronavirus detecting source code from Chinese medical device maker Huiying Medical have been hacked, media reported on Tuesday. The hacker is selling the data for 4 bitcoins ($25,400).
- China-Europe freight trains ensure unimpeded transportation channel of medical supplies amid COVID-19 People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- China-Europe freight trains witnessed growth in both the number of trips made and cargo volume in the first quarter this year, serving as an effective logistics channel stabilizing international supply chain, facilitating international cooperation, and expediting the transportation of preventative materials amid COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported three new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,639, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing's SARS treatment hospital clears all COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- As the last two patients with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged Tuesday morning, Xiaotangshan Hospital, which was previously used to quarantine SARS patients in Beijing, has cleared all existing COVID-19 cases.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- PLA sends materials to help Lebanese military battle COVID-19 PLA Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- At the request of the Lebanese military and with the approval of the Central Military Commission, the Chinese People's Liberation Army on Tuesday sent COVID-19 prevention and control materials, including medical masks and protective gowns, to the Lebanese military.
- Lhasa's Historic Barkhor District Opens, But Monasteries Remain Closed Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2020 -- The central Barkhor old town and market area of Tibet's regional capital Lhasa has reopened to the public, and worshippers have begun again to walk devotional circuits around the city's famed Jokhang temple as coronavirus restrictions continue to lift, Tibetan sources say.
- Manila Downplays Chinese Laser-Gun Incident in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2020 -- The Philippines' defense chief on Tuesday downplayed Beijing's latest aggressive move in the South China Sea, saying it appeared that Chinese sailors had no real intention of hurting Filipinos when they pointed a laser gun at a Philippine navy ship.
- Chinese military slams US repeated provocative acts in South China Sea PLA Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- A US guided-missile destroyer USS Barry trespassed into Chinese territorial waters off the Xisha Islands without permission on April 28. In response, the Southern Theater Command (STC) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) organized naval and air forces to track, verify, identify, and warn the ship away, Senior Colonel Li Huamin, spokesperson for the PLA STC, said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Chinese military warns US warship to leave South China Sea Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese military has warned a US warship to leave after it illegally entered the disputed waters in the South China Sea.
- Fed Up With FONOPS: China 'Expels' US Warship From South China Sea, Urges Focus on COVID-19 Sputnik 28 Apr 2020 -- In an echo of rhetoric deployed against Beijing for months, Chinese warships drove a US Navy destroyer out of contested waters, urging Washington to focus on combating the COVID-19 outbreak that has killed more than 50,000 Americans.
- PLA expels trespassing US warship from Xisha Islands, urges it to fight COVID-19 at home Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Tuesday expelled a US warship that trespassed into Chinese territorial waters off the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea as the US' move could have easily caused an accident, a Chinese military spokesperson said on Tuesday, who also urged the US side to focus on COVID-19 prevention and control at home rather than destabilizing regional security and peace.
- COVID-19 may hit military budget, only mildly Global Times 28 Apr 2020 -- China's military budget for 2020 could maintain a steady increase even though foreign reports have suggested that an economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic will hit military spending, but a slight decrease is also possible, Chinese analysts said on Tuesday.
- China sends new naval fleet for escort mission PLA Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- The 35th fleet of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on Tuesday left the port city of Zhoushan in east China's Zhejiang Province for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia to escort civilian ships.
- Beijing warns on use of 'China card' in US vote People's Daily 28 Apr 2020 -- Beijing opposes the efforts of some individuals in the United States to drag China into the US elections and play the China card to gain votes, Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Monday.
- Rights Group Details Litany of Police Violence, Abuses During Hong Kong Protests Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2020 -- A Hong Kong-based human rights group has detailed a litany of police violence and abuse of power during last year's protests in a report to the U.K. parliament, as sporadic protests continue in the city in spite of the coronavirus pandemic.
- US Religious Freedoms Panel Urges Sanctions on China Over Violations in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2020 -- A U.S. bipartisan commission called on Tuesday for sanctions against entities deemed responsible for the persecution of Muslims in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) and for the country to be placed on a State Department blacklist of the world's worst abusers of religious freedoms.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list