Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Ups Ante in South China Sea With New Place Names, Administrative Districts Radio Free Asia 20 Apr 2020 -- China has upped the ante amid rising tensions in the South China Sea by declaring two new administrative districts for the contested region and releasing a new map naming all the islands and reefs it claims.
- Bangladesh fetches COVID-19 preventive medical aids from China PLA Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) has conducted a special ferry flight to fetch home COVID-19 preventive medical aids from China, the Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) said here Sunday.
- 4,106 under screening after clustered infections in two Harbin hospitals Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Clustered COVID-19 infections at two hospitals in Harbin, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province have caused at least 4,106 people to undergo screening to determine whether they are close contacts.
- Freight train loaded with 20 mln masks departs China for Russia Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- A China-Europe freight train loaded with 20 million face masks departed east China's Suzhou city on Monday and will arrive in Moscow in 12 days.
- China does not want the world's general public to be misled by groundless accusations Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- China well understands the grim and severe challenges the U.S. is facing in the pandemic. We share the worries and woes and extend our deep sympathies, and are providing support and assistance to the world, U.S. included for sure, to the best of our ability, despite China's own high demand for medical supplies at home as millions are returning to work, and concerns over imported cases and a COVID-19 resurgence persist.
- Imported infection in Harbin spreads across province Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- An extra-long infection chain in Harbin, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has extended to more neighboring regions, sounding the alarm over the infectivity of the imported case.
- Manzhouli bordering Russia receives batches of medical supplies for severe cases Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Another batch of medical supplies and seven ambulances dispatched by China's National Health Commission (NHC) arrived Monday at the rail station in Manzhouli, a city on the border with Russia in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- Chaoyang district in Beijing the only 'high-risk' COVID-19 area in China Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Beijing's Chaoyang district is classified as the only district in China with a "high risk" of COVID-19 infection, according to official categorization, followed by northeastern city Suifenhe and two districts in South China's Guangzhou that are categorized as having medium risk due to the threat brought by imported cases.
- Regional cooperation vital for virus response People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The novel coronavirus pandemic could help China and neighboring countries step up nontraditional security cooperation for a stronger community with a shared future as President Xi Jinping has been committed to promoting neighborhood diplomacy based on the principles of friendship, sincerity, mutual benefit and inclusiveness, experts said.
- China's health authority calls for int'l cooperation in fighting COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- China's health authority has called for international cooperation to carry out joint prevention and control in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.
- China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- China's Heilongjiang reports 7 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- China's Heilongjiang Province Sunday reported three new locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and four new imported confirmed cases, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports eight new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported eight new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,583, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Sunday, local health authority said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 12 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Sunday, of which eight were imported.
- Beijing requires nucleic acid tests for eight groups of people People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Beijing will carry out mandatory nucleic acid tests on eight groups of people, said a municipal health official at a press conference on Sunday.
- China calls for stronger testing regime to detect coronavirus despite drop in new infections Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- China has called for a stronger testing regime in an attempt to ensure all cases of the novel coronavirus have been detected, despite a drop in new virus infections in the country.
- Chinese military rebuffs US accusation and urges it to stop meddling in South China Sea PLA Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese military is strongly opposed to the US recent unjustified accusation against China and urges the US to stop meddling in the South China Sea, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesman for China's Ministry of National Defense, in a written statement on the afternoon of April 20.
- China Steps up Patrols in Disputed Sea; Here's What Malaysia and Vietnam Will do VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Malaysia and Vietnam, militarily weaker than China, are expected to protest through diplomatic channels over a Chinese survey ship fleet that entered disputed waters this month, inviting a long but nonviolent standoff.
- China's Hudong Zhonghua shipyard to launch new ship on Wednesday Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- China's Hudong Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai is expected to launch a new ship on Wednesday. Some military observers believe it could be China's second Type 075 amphibious assault ship.
- China hones carrier fighter jet skill amid epidemic Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently held training sessions for aircraft carrier-based fighter jets and helicopters in the Bohai Bay area, and experts said on Monday the training was crucial in boosting the combat capability of aircraft carriers, including China's second one, the recently commissioned Shandong.
- China's FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft bags first export contract People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- With its first export contract for delivery of the FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft to an undisclosed Southeast Asian country, Guizhou Aviation Industry Corp can expect a surge in interested customers, aviation experts predicted on Sunday.
- China to hold summit on big data application in military equipment PLA Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- It is learnt from the Equipment Development Department (EDD) of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) that the Chinese military is to hold the Equipment Big Data Summit 2020 in the coming September.
- China's vice public security minister under probe Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Vice minister of public security, Sun Lijun, is under investigation for suspected severe violations of discipline and law, the top anti-graft body said Sunday.
- China's Vice Minister of Public Security Arrested in Corruption Probe VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- China's vice minister of public security, Sun Lijun, has been arrested for alleged "severe violations of party discipline and law," the Communist Party's top anti-graft body said late Sunday in what observers say is an indication of corruption.
- China condemns US, UK criticism of arrests in Hong Kong Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry has condemned recent remarks by Western officials who criticized the arrest of several protest organizers in the Chinese territory of Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Lawyers Say China's Liaison Office Is Subject to Ban on Interference Radio Free Asia 20 Apr 2020 -- Hong Kong's Bar Association on Monday hit out at claims by Chinese officials that Beijing's liaison office in the city were authorized to play a "supervisory" role in its daily political life, and the running of its government.
- Chinese FM urges US to stop conspiracy theories on COVID-19, as 'make China pay' campaign makes no sense Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- US officials like Peter Navarro should stop confusing right and wrong while Washington should realize that the novel coronavirus is the enemy, not China, Chinese foreign ministry said in response to the US considering sending investigators to China to look into the outbreaks and some even insisted on making China pay for the losses caused by the pandemic.
- The United States Calls for Wang Quanzhang's Freedom of Movement and Release of Activists US Dept. of State 20 Apr 2020 -- "The United States calls on the People's Republic of China (PRC) to allow human rights lawyer Wang Quanzhang's freedom of movement, including the ability to join his family in Beijing, now that he has been released after five years of unjust detention."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list