Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China lab rejects US conspiracy theory about origin of coronavirus Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- The director of a high-security laboratory based in the Chinese city of Wuhan has denied US allegations that the new coronavirus originated in the facility or an affiliated lab.
- Chief of Wuhan's P4 Lab D.ebunks US Claims About Coronavirus's 'Artificial' Origins Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- This week, sources told Fox News that the Trump administration had begun a full-scale investigation into whether COVID-19 is a man-made virus that escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China. The news comes in the wake of a coordinated US media campaign to accuse Chinese authorities of kicking off the coronavirus pandemic and then trying to "cover it up".
- China Dismisses Claims Coronavirus Originated in Lab VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- China is dismissing the possibility that the coronavirus pandemic originated in biosecurity laboratory and not from animal-to-human transmission in Wuhan as commonly believed.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,575, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China targets chaotic market of mask fabric Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese regulators are ratcheting up a crackdown on price gouging and other illegal activities in the chaotic market for melt-blown fabric, a key material in medical masks, warning profiteers to expect heavy punishment if they continue to exploit the global pandemic.
- Beijing designates 8 groups to test for COVID-19, signals shift to targeted control measures Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Beijing on Sunday said that eight groups of people would be tested for COVID-19 following the lifting of the requirement for companies to keep the number of workers at less than half of normal levels.
- One infecting 50 in Harbin raises concerns, but lockdown 'unnecessary' Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Contact tracing of a Chinese national with COVID-19 who returned from the US to Harbin, capital of Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, shows at least 50 people have contracted the virus after contact with the patient.
- Mainland reports smallest daily increase in infections in 32 days Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese mainland recorded 16 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Saturday, including nine imported cases and seven domestic cases, marking the smallest daily increase in the past 32 days. The newly confirmed imported cases from overseas dropped below 10 for the first time within a month.
- Woman who instigated large gathering in Hubei arrested for endangering epidemic control Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- A woman who instigated a large gathering in March to protest against overpriced groceries in a community in Central China's Hubei Province has been arrested for endangering COVID-19 epidemic control during lockdowns, authorities reported late Saturday.
- Wuhan authority reacted quickly, says doctor who first reported COVID-19 cases Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Zhang Jixian, the first doctor to report COVID-19 cases to Wuhan authorities on December 27, said she had not expected the disease to be so infectious or serious, while noting that local authorities reacted promptly after receiving her report.
- Trump Questions Coronavirus Numbers Announced By China, Iran Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump questioned the coronavirus pandemic numbers announced by China and Iran in his daily press briefing on April 18, asking "Does anyone believe" these numbers?
- US Reportedly Sent Millions in Masks, PPE To China VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- The U.S. government encouraged American companies to send masks and personal protection equipment, or PPE, worth millions of dollars to China earlier this year, according to a Washington Post report Saturday.
- Names of islands,reefs in South China Sea released Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese authorities released on Sunday standard names for 25 islands and reefs as well as 55 undersea geographic entities in the South China Sea in a move that Chinese experts praised for reaffirming China's sovereignty in the region.
- Hainan's Sansha to set up two municipal districts People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- Australia's has achieved a "sustained and genuine flattening" of the COVID-19 curve, Health Minister Greg Hunt said.
- Power vacuum left by U.S. in region could tempt China: analyst CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- China might take advantage of the power vacuum in the region following the halt of overseas movements by the United States military, but a military offensive against Taiwan is unlikely, according to a Taiwanese defense analyst.
- DPP 'behind Taiwan ghostwriters' Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Since early April, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus suffered cyber violence on social media networks and his Twitter account is now still filled with sarcastic and abusive comments with a considerable number originating in Taiwan.
- China's FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft bags first export contract Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- With its first export contract for delivery of the FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft to an undisclosed Southeast Asian country, Guizhou Aviation Industry Corp can expect a surge in interested customers, aviation experts predicted on Sunday.
- FM office in HKSAR slams US politicians' exculpation of riot leaders Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on Sunday solemnly refuted Western politicians' exculpation of Hong Kong riot leaders, claiming their rhetoric revealed their complicity with rioters who have created chaos in the city.
- Supporting WHO means safeguarding multilateralism: Chinese FM Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Saturday that at the critical moment when the world is combating the COVID-19 pandemic, supporting the World Health Organization (WHO) and its director-general is to safeguard the philosophy and principle of multilateralism.
- UK FCO in latest interference in Hong Kong's internal affairs Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- In the midst of a global pandemic, with the UK suffering more than most countries from the coronavirus outbreak, the British government has seen fit to renew its interference in China's internal affairs.
- Hong Kong police arrest 15 over last year's violent rallies Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested more than a dozen high-profile activists and campaigners as part of a sweeping operation aimed at bringing to justice organizers of violent anti-government rallies in the Chinese territory last year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list