Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Pushes Coal Power to Fight Economic Slump Radio Free Asia 17 Apr 2020 -- Environmental advocates are raising alarms about China's plans to build more coal-fired power plants as the government pursues economic recovery.
- Malaysia: Chinese Survey Ship Is in Our Waters Radio Free Asia 17 Apr 2020 -- The Malaysian coast guard confirmed Friday the presence of a Chinese survey ship that vessel-tracking software shows is operating close to an exploration vessel contracted by the Malaysian state oil company Petronas. The survey activity is just inside the nation's exclusive economic zone.
- Wuhan Raises Coronavirus Numbers, Fueling Doubts VOA 17 Apr 2020 -- China said Friday more people have died in Wuhan in its COVID-19 crisis than originally thought, fueling doubts about the accuracy of the country's coronavirus death toll.
- Wuhan Raises Coronavirus Death Toll Amid International Criticism Radio Free Asia 17 Apr 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan on Friday raised the official death toll, where the coronavirus epidemic emerged last year, by 50 percent.
- China revises up death toll in Wuhan by 1,290, up 50% Press TV 17 Apr 2020 -- The city of Wuhan in central China has revised its official death toll of the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Full text of Wuhan's notification on revising numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases, deaths People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The Wuhan municipal headquarters for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic prevention and control on Friday issued a notification on revising the numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases and fatalities in the city.
- Full Text: Questions and Answers on the Revisions to the Numbers of Confirmed Cases and Fatalities of COVID-19 in Wuhan People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- An official of the Wuhan municipal headquarters for COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control on Friday answered relevant questions about the revisions to the numbers of confirmed cases and deaths of COVID-19 in Wuhan.
- Wuhan rectifies death toll following conventional post-epidemic review Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- The city of Wuhan has corrected its COVID-19 death toll to 3,869 on Friday, an increase of 1,290 compared with its previous figure, after local government altered its counting method, which analysts said reflects the Chinese government's spirit of seeking truth from facts and respect for every deceased life during the pandemic.
- Wuhan revises figures of confirmed COVID-19 cases, deaths People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The city of Wuhan in central China on Friday revised its numbers of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) confirmed cases and deaths.
- US Warned Israel of Coronavirus Outbreak in China in November, but 'Nothing Was Done' - Report Sputnik 17 Apr 2020 -- An earlier ABC News report stated that US intelligence officials had warned the military and White House about the spread of a coronavirus outbreak in China as far back as late November 2019, with the Pentagon denying the "product/assessment" existed.
- China's Foreign Ministry Rejects Claims of Coronavirus Outbreak Cover-Up Sputnik 17 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump as well as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have openly questioned China's integrity and the accuracy of the data Beijing provided regarding the scope of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. China has strongly denied such allegations.
- Respect for life is the basic logic behind revision of COVID-19 data People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The command centre for the prevention and control of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei province and the previous epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, released a notification regarding the revision of the numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths on Friday.
- WHO Says China's Revised Coronavirus Toll Attempt to 'Leave No Case Undocumented' Sputnik 17 Apr 2020 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump tweeted that China's coronavirus death toll is much higher than it was previously reported and exceeds that of the US.
- UK, France scapegoat China for epidemic losses, but cooperation still mainstream: expert Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- Some politicians in Europe have tried to make China a scapegoat to ease public disappointment over the continuously worsening pandemics in their own countries and contain China's global influence, experts told the Global Times on Friday, following reports that British foreign minister and French president had criticized China over the epidemic.
- Chinese premier says China ready to stand together with Sudan in COVID-19 fight Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Thursday that the Chinese people are ready to stand together with the Sudanese people in their fight against COVID-19, and offer support and assistance within its capacity.
- Xi-Putin call shows joint stance against politicizing pandemic Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- Top leaders of China and Russia spoke on the phone on Thursday night, communicating on epidemic prevention and control and setting a fundamental tone for China-Russia ties amid challenging time marked with uncertainties. Such extremely strong mutual understanding and support to address each other's core concerns shown by the top leaders of the two countries also indicated China-Russia ties are the most stable and solid bilateral relationship between major powers, analysts said.
- Live COVID-19 updates: China firmly supports UN's leading role in fighting COVID-19 pandemic, Italy says WHO "essential" People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The following are the updates on the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 18 officials held accountable in Harbin for nosocomial, cluster COVID-19 infections Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- Heilongjiang prompted accountable mechanism towards officials to strictly prevent epidemic spread. Harbin, the capital of Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, recently reported cluster COVID-19 infections and nosocomial infections involving two hospitals and six nurses. The findings add pressure to the province, which is already busy with preventing and controlling imported cases at Suifenhe port.
- China donates testing kits, thermometers to help Lebanon fight COVID-19 Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- China on Thursday donated 3,000 PCR testing kits and 200 manual thermometers to Lebanon to help the country fight against COVID-19.
- China cancels about 40 COVID-19 clinical trials as epidemic ebbs Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- About 40 COVID-19-related clinical trials have been terminated in China, including those for Gilead Sciences' antiviral drug remdesivir, mainly because China has curbed the rising trend of the epidemic in just two weeks and most patients have been cured and discharged from hospitals, China's top respiratory specialist Zhong Nanshan said.
- Asymptomatic cases not uncommon: Chinese experts Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- Chinese researchers have revealed a high rate of silent coronavirus (COVID-19) carriers after studying a cluster infection case related to a supermarket in East China, where 24 people were infected.
- China cracks down on profiteers reselling melt-blown fabric for medical masks Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- In response to organized criminal activities that involved reselling melt-blown fabric to reap large gains, Chinese authorities have cracked down on 42 profiteers involved in 20 cases, with the amount reaching 34.45 million yuan ($4.87 million).
- China takes people's rights to life, health as top priority amid COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese government is always people-centric and puts people's lives and health as its top priority. Such value practiced by China in the COVID-19 pandemic well explained to the international society the importance laid by China on people's right to life and right to health, as they are universally recognized basic human rights.
- Xi holds phone talks with Putin on COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, spoke over phone on Thursday night, reaffirming mutual support in the fight against COVID-19 and rejecting politicization of the pandemic.
- Int'l community strives for economic normality as data shows steep downturn amid COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- A run of newly-released economic data on both status quo and outlook for the year have unnerved the world, as a global economic recession caused by the COVID-19 pandemic seems to linger.
- Chinese mainland reports 82,692 overall confirmed COVID-19 cases as Wuhan revises figures: official People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The overall confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland by Thursday was updated to 82,692, as the city of Wuhan in central China's Hubei Province revised its figures on Friday morning, said an official on Friday.
- Over 2,400 prosecuted for epidemic-related crimes in China People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- China's procuratorial organs prosecuted 2,416 suspects in 1,980 criminal cases related to the COVID-19 epidemic by Thursday, the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) said Friday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 11 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Thursday reported three new locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and eight new imported confirmed cases, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- Shanghai reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai's municipal health commission said Friday that no domestic cases and imported cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in the municipality on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 26 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday that it received reports of 26 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Thursday, of which 15 were imported.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Thursday, local health authority said Friday.
- China stresses differentiated epidemic control measures at community level People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- China has released a guideline on community-based prevention and control against the COVID-19 epidemic, ordering targeted and precise measures according to the specific risk level of the epidemic situation.
- China won't restrict exports of anti-coronavirus supplies: official People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- China has not and will not restrict exports of supplies needed to fight the novel coronavirus pandemic, a Chinese commerce official said Thursday.
- Beijing reports three import-related COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Beijing reported three new cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) related to an imported case on Wednesday, a local health official said Thursday.
- "Mobile hospital" arrives in China's border city People's Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- A "mobile hospital" was recently put into use in the city of Suifenhe, at the China-Russia border in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, to assist local medics in treating COVID-19.
- Military medics leave Wuhan after fulfilling anti-virus duties PLA Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- Military medics sent to assist in Wuhan's fight against the novel coronavirus have fulfilled their missions and returned home, according to Xinhua News Agency.
- China donates medical aid to Tunisia PLA Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- China donated a batch of medical aid to Tunisia's Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.
- Pompeo Told Lavrov Any Future Arms Control Talks Must Include China - State Department Sputnik 17 Apr 2020 -- Russia and the United States are parties to the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), which is set to expire in 2021. It is the last remaining arms control treaty in force between Russia and the United States after the collapse of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.
- Taiwan warns against nationals working for CPC-affiliated agencies CNA 17 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan warned Friday of legal action against Taiwanese citizens working for China-based media outlets with links to the Communist Party of China (CPC), after an incident that came to light at a recent White House news briefing.
- China's Chang'e-4 probe resumes work for 17th lunar day PLA Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- The lander and rover of the Chang'e-4 probe have resumed work for the 17th lunar day on the far side of the moon after "sleeping" during the extremely cold night.
- China-Kazakhstan ties unaffected by online article amid joint fight against pandemic: Chinese envoy Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- China and Kazakhstan are joining hands in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic, and friendly relations between the two would not be affected at all by a minor episode caused by an online article by some we-media, the Chinese Ambassador to Kazakhstan told the Global Times in an exclusive interview on Thursday.
- China provides mental health service for troops stationed on Nansha Islands PLA Daily 17 Apr 2020 -- On April 7, Jiang Chunlei, a psychology professor of the PLA Naval Medical University, set foot on the Yongshu Reef to provide mental health counseling for soldiers. Since then, the first batch of metal health service stations established by the PLA troops stationed on the Nansha Islands was put into operation, in a bid to provide professional and systematic mental health services for service members stationed on the islands and reefs.
- Upcoming NPC sessions 'the first step' to two sessions, as China moves toward normalcy Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- The next session of the Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) will be held in Beijing from April 26 to 29, the first step to the national two sessions, sources said. While Chinese President Xi Jinping's inspection of Wuhan on March 10 signaled the success of the fight against the coronavirus epidemic in the heavily hit province of Hubei, the opening of the "two sessions" indicates China is walking toward normalcy, which are milestone indicators of the country's epidemic battle.
- What's next for China after record 6.8% GDP fall? Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- China on Friday provided the clearest and most complete picture yet of the economic cost of the deadly coronavirus, which has so far taken 4,642 Chinese lives. With first-quarter GDP shrinking 6.8 percent, the first decline since 1992 when quarterly data began to be reported, the damage amounts to an eye-popping 1.44 trillion yuan ($203.4 billion) in lost output, equivalent to the entire New Zealand economy in 2018.
- US 'black hands' behind HK education shows need for national security law Global Times 17 Apr 2020 -- The Fulbright Program - a flagship interna-tional educational exchange program of the US Department of State in China's Hong Kong Special Administration Region (HKSAR) - has become a major platform for training students as part of anti-mainland forces while intervening in local education and manipulating important courses of higher education, local media reports said, reflecting "black hands" of the US behind of chaos in the city and that passage of the national security law is highly necessary, analysts said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list