Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Subsidies For Han Settlers 'Engineering Demographics' in Uyghur-Majority Southern Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 13 Apr 2020 -- As authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) send ethnic Uyghurs to other parts of the country to work in factories, a quasi-military organization is luring Han Chinese settlers to the region's south as part of a policy experts say amounts to demographic engineering.
- China's Mekong River Dams Compounded 2019 Drought, US-Funded Study Claims Radio Free Asia 13 Apr 2020 -- China compounded a drought that devastated fishing and farming communities on the Mekong River last year by restricting the flow of huge amounts of water downstream from 11 of its dams, a U.S. research firm said in a study released Monday.
- Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning conducts exercises in South China Sea: PLA Navy spokesperson Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese Navy recently organized the Liaoning aircraft carrier group in a cross-regional mobilization, which saw the flotilla led by the aircraft carrier crossing through the Miyako Strait, Bashi Channel and entering the South China Sea for exercises, the PLA Navy announced on Monday.
- Chinese aircraft carrier task group conducts regular training in South China Sea PLA Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- The task group of Chinese PLA Navy's aircraft carrier Liaoning recently sailed through the Miyako Strait and Bashi Channel and headed toward the relevant waters of South China Sea for training, according to a written statement by the PLA Navy Spokesperson Senior Colonel Gao Xiucheng on April 13. This is a routine arrangement within the PLA Navy's annual training plan, and also conforms to international law and related conventions. In the future, the Chinese PLA navy will continue to conduct such training activities as planned, in a bid to accelerate the upgrading of aircraft carrier task group's combat capability, said the statement.
- China Deploys Aircraft Carrier as US Senators Criticize South China Sea Conduct Radio Free Asia 13 Apr 2020 -- China has sent an aircraft carrier battle group to the East and South China Seas, according to statements from governments in the region and satellite imagery. The maneuvers come at a time of increasing tension in the South China Sea and a denouncement of China's recent sinking of a Vietnamese fishing vessel by members of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- China's latest aircraft wind tunnel completes major test Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- China's wind tunnel project remains in development which is expected to reshape the country's future warplanes, and hit another milestone after running a main compressor test, project developers said on Saturday.
- China starts military conscription for second half of 2020 PLA Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China has officially started the military recruitment registration for the second half of 2020 in April. Affected by the COVID-19, the recruitment for the first half of the year has been postponed to the second half, with the tasks merged to be completed in one lump.
- Chinese peacekeepers to Sudan transport UNAMID emergency supplies PLA Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- A helicopter with the marking of UN and the national flag of China from the 3rd China Medium Utility Helicopter Unit (CMUHU03) arrived at the mission point in Golo of Darfur after one-and-a-quarter hours' flight. The helicopter brought 1.7 tons of urgently needed living and medical supplies for the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) personnel stationed in Golo. The mission has greatly improved the local pandemic prevention and control capability and is highly recognized by peacekeepers from various countries.
- Naval pilot cadets for shipboard helicopter take leaps in training PLA Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Four pilot cadets of main attack helicopters assigned to the PLA Naval Aviation University successfully completed their first solo shipboard landing and takeoff training in early April.
- PLA Air Force's first female flight instructors begin teaching pilots PLA Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force's first female flight instructors began training students late last month, the Air Force said in a statement released on Friday.
- Western Media Cries Foul After Chinese Carrier Makes Planned Transit of International Waterway Sputnik 13 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning took several warships through the Miyako Strait on Saturday, part of a journey to the South China Sea for regular drills. However, the Taiwanese government and Western media have tried to paint the trip as a provocative maneuver amid the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chinese space industry insiders debunk Western media claims launch failures due to US chip restrictions Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- Chinese space industry insiders on Monday debunked Western media claims that attest China's recent rocket launch failures to US chip export restrictions on China, pointing out that the country's rocket control systems have mastered complete localization for a long time, and China's space development sector is independent of any Western influence.
- China's assistant foreign minister assures African envoys of equal treatment of foreigners amid pandemic Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- China's Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong met with ambassadors or representatives from more than 20 African countries in China Monday, according to a statement on the website of the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- Chinese FM spokesperson's remarks on Guangdong's anti-epidemic measures concerning African citizens in China People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Sunday made remarks on Guangdong's anti-epidemic measures concerning African citizens in China. The remarks were as follows.
- China says not discriminating against 'African brothers' amid outbreak Press TV 13 Apr 2020 -- China has rejected accusations that it is discriminating against Africans amid the COVID-19 epidemic in the country.
- African Nations Summon Chinese Ambassadors Over Racism in Guangzhou Radio Free Asia 13 Apr 2020 -- The governments of several African nations have summoned Chinese ambassadors or issued other forms of diplomatic protest following multiple reports of racism against black people in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, home to a trading district colloquially known as "little Africa."
- African Nations Issue Protests Over Racism in China's Guangzhou in COVID-19 Fight Radio Free Asia 13 Apr 2020 -- African envoys in the Chinese capital Beijing have written a protest letter and governments of several African nations have summoned Chinese ambassadors following reports of forced coronavirus testing and quarantines, evictions from apartments and hotels, and other acts they said constituted racism against black people in the southern city of Guangzhou.
- With Coronavirus Lockdown Over, Wuhan Residents Wrangle With Being Stigmatized VOA 13 Apr 2020 -- The lifting of the lockdown in Wuhan, China, the original epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, has allowed most healthy residents to travel outside of the city limits since April 8.
- China's new coronavirus cases climb to six-week high SPA 13 Apr 2020 -- China reported the highest number of new coronavirus cases in nearly six weeks on Monday, as the country tries to prevent a second wave of Covid-19 infections, dpa reported.
- China sends donations to Pacific countries to support COVID-19 prevention and tropical cyclone relief Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- China has sent donations to Pacific countries amid the COVID-19 pandemic, as the island countries are also suffering from tropical cyclones.
- 15-20% of those quarantined in Suifenhe may be infected: official Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- Medical resources are strained and the local capacity to deal with the onslaught of imported COVID-19 cases has reached its limits in the Chinese city of Suifenhe, bordering Russia, as national health authorities have sent experts to help, and donations of medical equipment from across the country have arrived.
- Only 2 test positive in nucleic acid test out of 40k for COVID-19 since April: Beijing official Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- Beijing has tested more than 40,000 people for the novel coronavirus since April 1, with two turning out to be positive, the capital's health official said on Monday at a press conference, noting that imported cases still present the biggest risk to the capital.
- Hong Kong to require travelers from US, Europe to have virus tests upon arrival Global Times 13 Apr 2020 -- Hong Kong will require air travelers from the United States and Europe to have coronavirus tests upon their arrival, and aims at expanding the arrangement in the near future to cover all those arriving from foreign places, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government's secretary for food and health said on Sunday.
- Most of imported COVID-19 cases diagnosed during medical observation: Chinese official People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- About 70 percent of China's COVID-19 cases from overseas were diagnosed and reported when they were under quarantine and medical observation after entering the country, a health official said on Monday.
- Chinese sends experts to support border city's COVID-19 control People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) has dispatched an expert team to the city of Suifenhe, at the China-Russia border in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, to support its prevention and control of imported COVID-19 cases, a health official said Monday.
- Chinese city postpones school opening amid rise of imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has announced further postponing opening of junior high schools as it is coping with increasing imported COVID-19 cases.
- China tightens controls over asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China on April 8 issued a circular calling for intensified detection and prompt responses to people infected with the novel coronavirus but who show no symptoms.
- China suspends resumption of major sports events, mass gatherings in schools People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China's Ministry of Education has issued a guideline, suspending the resumption of major sports events and mass gatherings on campus amid the epidemic, to ensure the safety and health of teachers and students.
- Northeast China province reports 56 confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province reported 56 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Sunday, local health authority said Monday.
- Shanghai reports 11 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported 11 imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Sunday, local health authority said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 108 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 108 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, of which 98 were imported.
- Chinese mainland reports 98 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 98 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,378, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- 88 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- A total of 88 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Sunday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Wuhan in all-out efforts to cure elderly COVID-19 patients People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China's Wuhan will strengthen medical treatment for severely ill and elderly COVID-19 patients, the latest signal from the city hard hit by the novel coronavirus but now in a steady recovery.
- Medical team sent to NE China's border city to combat imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- A team of 15 medical experts on Sunday departed from Beijing for the city of Suifenhe, at the China-Russia border in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, to aid the city's fight against imported COVID-19 cases, according to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- China's border city strengthens measures as imported COVID-19 cases increase People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- The city of Suifenhe, at the China-Russia border in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has beefed up prevention against epidemic spread as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases from overseas continued to rise.
- China's economy expected to recover from COVID-19 while risks lingering - economists People's Daily 13 Apr 2020 -- China's recovery from the worst of novel coronavirus outbreak will have positive spillovers for the Asian region as it is the largest trading partner of most economies in Asia, an economist said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list