Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Wuhan Lockdown Ends Despite Concerns Over Asymptomatic Infections Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- Millions of people in the central Chinese city of Wuhan were once more allowed to travel around and leave their city after 76 days in lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic, which emerged in the city in late December.
- China's Appointment to U.N. Human Rights Panel Sparks Global Outcry Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- China's appointment to a United Nations human rights panel has sparked a global outcry, especially among rights activists and ethnic minority groups subject to Beijing's rights abuses and discrimination.
- Manila Criticizes Beijing Over Sinking of Vietnamese Boat in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- The Philippines expressed "deep concern" Wednesday over a Chinese coast guard ship's alleged sinking of a Vietnamese fishing boat in the disputed South China Sea last week, as Manila joined Hanoi and Washington in criticizing Beijing over the incident.
- Pompeo indirectly accuses China of dishonesty over COVID-19 pandemic Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has indirectly accused China of not being transparent and honest about the coronavirus pandemic in the country, which reported no deaths from the illness for the first time since the outbreak began.
- Like a phoenix, Wuhan reemerges from dark coronavirus lockdown in warm spring Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Those who had been staying in Wuhan since the city's lockdown to contain the COVID-19 pandemic keep asking themselves for more than two months: What do I want to do the most after the lockdown is lifted and life returns to normal?
- Hong Kong to close beauty, massage parlors amid COVID-19 epidemic Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Hong Kong will close beauty salons and massage parlors for 14 days since Friday, an official statement said Wednesday, adding to a string of social distancing measures to fight the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Cities cautiously welcome Wuhan returnees Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- As the lockdown in Wuhan ended on Wednesday, cities across China are taking a cautious attitude to welcome returnees from Wuhan, with many cities requiring them to take COVID-19 tests before leaving amid growing concerns over asymptomatic carriers.
- China demands unremitting containment efforts as Wuhan lockdown lifted Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has demanded no lax efforts in the COVID-19 response to prevent a resurgence of the outbreak as the hard-hit city of Wuhan lifted its 76-day lockdown.
- Wuhan reopens after 76-day lockdown People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Ending the lockdown of Wuhan, Hubei province, on Wednesday will become a milestone for China in securing final victory in the people's war against the COVID-19 outbreak under the command of President Xi Jinping, observers said.
- Countries flock to China to collect medical supplies amid epidemic People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Amid the global pneumonia outbreak, many countries have ordered medical supplies from China, some even sending airplanes to pick up the goods from the country, a way considered faster and safer.
- China sends medical supplies to Central and West Africa People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- On April 6, a Chinese airplane landed at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, capital of Ghana, carrying anti-epidemic supplies from China to 18 countries in Central and West Africa, the CAAC News reported.
- Shanghai reports 5 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported five newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from overseas Tuesday, the local health authority said Wednesday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 25 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province reported 25 new confirmed COVID-19 cases from overseas Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China's Wuhan now has only 181 severe cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Wuhan, the Chinese city hardest hit by the COVID-19 outbreak, had only 181 patients in serious conditions, with 71 being critically ill, as of Monday, dropping from a peak of over 9,000 cases, a health official said Tuesday.
- China's Zhejiang to conduct COVID-19 tests on inbound personnel from Wuhan People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- East China's Zhejiang Province announced it will carry out necessary nucleic acid and serum tests on inbound personnel coming from Wuhan in the future 14 days.
- China succeeds in reducing COVID-19 mortality rate: WHO People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- China has successfully reduced the mortality rate of COVID-19 as the disease developed, said Gauden Galea, representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) in China, at a press conference Tuesday.
- China's COVID-19 severe cases drop to new low People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- China has brought the number of coronavirus patients in serious condition to a new low as the country gained invaluable experience in treatment and patient management.
- China demands unremitting containment efforts as Wuhan lockdown lifted People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has demanded no lax efforts in the COVID-19 response to prevent a resurgence of the outbreak as the hard-hit city of Wuhan lifted its 76-day lockdown.
- Chinese coming from 26 countries must submit health info to fly People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese passengers who are going to fly from 26 countries to China are required to submit their health information prior to boarding the plane, the country's civil aviation regulator said on Tuesday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Tuesday in central China's Hubei Province, the province's health commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 62 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday it received reports of 62 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, of which 59 were imported.
- Chinese mainland reports 59 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 59 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,042, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- 112 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- A total of 112 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Tuesday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Wuhan lifts outbound travel restrictions, ending months-long lockdown People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- As cars queued up at expressway toll gates and passengers prepared to board trains to leave Wuhan, the megacity in central China started lifting outbound travel restrictions from Wednesday after almost 11 weeks of lockdown to stem the spread of COVID-19.
- Xi chairs leadership meeting on regular epidemic control, work resumption PLA Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Wednesday chaired a leadership meeting to make new arrangements on implementing regular epidemic prevention and control measures and fully advancing work resumption.
- Lifting of Wuhan lockdown important milestone for city, nation and the world PLA Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Outbound passenger traffic from Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, the domestic epicenter of the novel coronavirus pandemic, finally received the green light on Wednesday. This is a much-longed for milestone in the country's fight against the virus.
- 70 percent of fake COVID-19 news from China: Investigation Bureau CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan has detected a growing number of cases of disinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic since late February, of which more than 70 percent originated from China, according to a recent Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB) briefing.
- Y-20 cargo plane-Type 15 tank combination enhances Chinese military capability Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- One domestically made Y-20 large cargo aircraft can reportedly carry two newly commissioned Type 15 tanks for long-range transport operations, and this new combination will enhance the Chinese military's strategic transport capability, experts said on Wednesday.
- Chinese Tycoon Under Investigation for Challenging Top Leader's Authority, Observers Say VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese property tycoon Ren Zhiqiang, who went missing last month after criticizing top leader Xi Jinping for what he said was the government's mishandling of the coronavirus outbreak, is being investigated by the Communist Party's disciplinary watchdog.
- Global Brands Wary Amid Reports of Forced Labor in China's Xinjiang VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- As global criticism widens about the alleged forced labor of Uighurs by the Chinese government, several international companies say they are taking measures to ensure their goods from the Xinjiang region are not produced by coercive employment of the minority.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list