Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China to launch last satellite for BeiDou navigation system in May PLA Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- China is expected to launch the last satellite for its BeiDou-3 Navigation Satellite System in May from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province.
- Bashing Beijing: Iranian Official's Criticism Of China's Coronavirus Figures Causes Uproar RFE/RL 06 Apr 2020 -- Rare criticism by an Iranian Health Ministry official of China's controversial COVID-19 figures has angered hard-liners in Tehran, some of whom asked if he was speaking on behalf of the country's archrival, the United States.
- China Develops New Training Jet for Type 002 Carrier Pilots Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- China's People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) will be able to cut costs in training its next generation of carrier pilots with the recent development of a new training aircraft derived from an older fighter jet.
- Flight carrying medical donation arrives in Portugal from China People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- A charter flight carrying the medical supplies donated by Portuguese electric utilities company EDP and its main shareholder China Three Gorges (CTG) arrived in Lisbon on Sunday.
- China Mourns Dead as Wuhan Families Deal With Mass Cremations Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- As families across China remembered the dead on a traditional mourning day, the authorities issued a warning to a prominent lawyer who drew attention to the large numbers of family members lining up to collect their loved ones ashes in the central province of Hubei.
- China Claims Zero Infections in Its Military VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- While militaries around the world are seeing their soldiers fall victim to the coronavirus, China's People's Liberation Army (PLA), the world's largest standing army, claims it remains virus-free.
- Imported cases surge at border Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The risk of imported cases to China from neighboring countries is increasing, an official noted Monday, after a Chinese port city near Russia reported 20 imported cases from the other side in one day.
- Central govt completely transparent in COVID-19 battle: Zhong Nanshan Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese central government has been completely transparent in dealing with the COVID-19 epidemic, top Chinese respiratory disease expert Zhong Nanshan said in an interview published on Sunday.
- Timeline of China releasing information on COVID-19 and advancing international cooperation Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic is a major public health emergency that has spread the fastest, caused the most extensive infections and been the hardest to contain since the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949.
- China faces increasing risk of imported COVID-19 cases from neighboring countries: official Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- China has put in place a complete set of procedures to manage international arrivals amid an increasing risk of imported COVID-19 cases from neighboring countries, officials said at a press conference on Monday.
- 114 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- A total of 114 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Sunday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Chinese doctors train Sierra Leonean medical workers to support COVID-19 fight People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese medical team in Sierra Leone has trained around 100 local medical workers in a bid to support the country's COVID-19 fight, the team said here on Sunday.
- China's medical expert team arrives in Philippines to help fight COVID-19 People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The medical expert team sent by the Chinese government arrived in Manila on Sunday to assist and advise the Philippines in its ongoing efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 38 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 38 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 951, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 39 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday it received reports of 39 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, of which 38 were imported.
- Beijing probably under long-term epidemic control: official People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Epidemic prevention and control in Beijing will probably become a long-term normal, a spokesperson for the municipal government said Sunday.
- HKSAR gov't preparing more comprehensive support for COVID-19-hit businesses: official People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government financial secretary said Sunday that the government is preparing for relief measures that can benefit more businesses as the COVID-19 epidemic has started to weigh down on a much wider range of industries.
- PRC's Reported Sinking of a Vietnamese Fishing Vessel in the South China Sea US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2020 -- "We are seriously concerned by reports of the PRC's sinking of a Vietnamese fishing vessel in the vicinity of the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea."
- US condemns sinking of Vietnam fishing vessel by Chinese Coast Guard Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- The United States said Monday it was "seriously concerned" by the recent sinking of a Vietnamese fishing vessel by the China Coast Guard and accused Beijing of exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic to expand its "unlawful claims" in the South China Sea.
- Lack of Answers Makes 'Clear' Missing Academics Are Detained in Xinjiang Camps: Exile Group Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- The fate of several missing Uyghur academics in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) remains a closely guarded secret, which members of the Uyghur exile community say makes "clear" that they have been detained in the region's vast network of internment camps.
- Why China is Developing Military Vessels at the Center of its Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- As China continues to recover from COVID-19, the city where the now global disease began is stepping up ship production for military and commercial purposes as part of its broader economic recovery, domestic media and experts say.
- Chinese Campaign in Tibet Rewards Tibetans for Reporting on Each Other Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- Chinese authorities in the Tibetan Autonomous Region recently announced a campaign aimed at stamping out rumors and misinformation, but Tibet analysts say that its true purpose is to stifle freedom of expression, especially among advocates of Tibetan independence.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list