Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Regular Press Conference of the Ministry of National Defense on Mar. 26 PLA Daily 27 Mar 2020
- Estimates Show Wuhan Death Toll Far Higher Than Official Figure Radio Free Asia 27 Mar 2020 -- As authorities lifted a two-month coronavirus lockdown in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate.
- Coronavirus Comeback? China Braces For Possible Second Wave Of COVID-19 RFE/RL 27 Mar 2020 -- Signs are creeping out of a feared but widely predicted "second wave" of the deadly coronavirus outbreak in the country where it all started, with other Asian countries also seeing worrying trends in their battles against the global pandemic.
- China Pursues 'Mask Diplomacy' With Asian Neighbors during COVID-19 Crisis Radio Free Asia 27 Mar 2020 -- China, once the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, is moving to polish up its battered image by scrambling to donate medical equipment and other resources to countries reeling from the COVID-19 outbreak.
- US Pushes Back Against Russian, Chinese, Iranian Coronavirus Disinformation VOA 27 Mar 2020 -- Top U.S. adversaries appear to be coming together, using social media and other cyber means to amplify disinformation regarding the coronavirus, with the intent of harming the United States and hindering efforts to curb the global pandemic.
- Chinese mainland reports 54 new imported COVID19 cases, one new local transmitted case Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 54 new imported cases of COVID-19 infection and one local transmitted case on Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 595, according to the National Health Commission on Friday.
- Xi says China to continue timely sharing of COVID-19 information Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- China has been sharing information on COVID-19 in an open, transparent and responsible manner with the World Health Organization and countries including the United States since the onset of the epidemic, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Friday.
- China temporarily opens Khunjerab Pass in Xinjiang for medical supplies to Pakistan Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- China temporarily opened the Khunjerab Pass on the China-Pakistan border in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Friday to help Pakistan receive urgent medical supplies against the spread of COVID-19.
- Wuhan no longer at "high risk" of coronavirus outbreak Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan has had its coronavirus risk evaluation downgraded from "high risk" to "medium risk," a local health official told a press conference Friday.
- China temporarily bans entry of foreigners in response to surging imported infections Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- Foreign nationals are temporarily forbidden from entering China even with valid visas, Chinese authorities announced on Thursday, in a move called by some experts as "semi sealing off of the border" that signals the country's determination to fight the pandemic battle.
- Xi urges joint China-US action against COVID-19 in phone call with Trump People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- President Xi Jinping on Friday urged united actions between China and the United States to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he hopes the US can take concrete steps to improve bilateral relations.
- China suspends entry by foreign nationals People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- starting on Saturday Mar 28 -- is a temporary measure that China is compelled to take in light of the outbreak situation and the practices of other countries, the announcement said.
- A closer look at China's efforts to guarantee supplies in COVID-19 epicentre People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- After locking down Wuhan, capital city of central China's Hubei province, which used to be the epicenter of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, China mobilized nationwide resources and made all out efforts to guarantee a stable supply of living materials for the city's residents. Many provinces around the country joined efforts to guarantee sufficient sources for these materials.
- 4,000-plus military medics to continue supporting Wuhan anti-virus battle People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- The 4,000-plus military medical professionals that have rushed to aid the battle against the novel coronavirus in central China's city of Wuhan are sticking to their positions until "a full victory is achieved."
- China's military continues to step up int'l cooperation against coronavirus People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- China will further enhance international military cooperation with other countries in face of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, a Chinese spokesman told a press conference on Thursday.
- Xi calls for all-out global war against COVID-19 at extraordinary G20 summit People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping Thursday called for a resolute all-out global war against the COVID-19 outbreak as leaders of the Group of 20 (G20) convened an extraordinary summit to coordinate multilateral response to the pandemic.
- China expands help to Myanmar with 2.45 tons of medical supplies Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese government on Thursday sent 2.45 tons of medical supplies including 5,000 protective outfits, 5,000 N95 medical masks, and 200,000 protective face masks to Myanmar to help the country fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Wuhan no longer at "high risk" of coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan has had its coronavirus risk evaluation downgraded from "high risk" to "medium risk," a local health official told a press conference on Friday.
- China prosecutes 1,919 suspects involved in epidemic-related crimes People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- A total of 1,919 people in 1,561 cases have been prosecuted in China over criminal offenses related to the COVID-19 epidemic, said the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP).
- Beijing reports 4 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported four new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries on Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases in the national capital to 153, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- Chinese vice premier stresses treatment of severe COVID-19 patients in Wuhan People's Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan Thursday required all-out efforts to treat severe patients infected with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Wuhan, the once epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in central China's Hubei Province.
- Full text of Xi's remarks at Extraordinary G20 Leaders' Summit Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday delivered a speech titled "Working Together to Defeat the COVID-19 Outbreak" at the Extraordinary G20 Leaders' Summit via video link in Beijing.
- China blasts 'provocative actions' by US PLA Daily 27 Mar 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army condemned recent "provocative actions" taken by the United States against the navy, warning such activities have undermined Chinese sovereignty, poisoned bilateral relations and disrupted regional peace and security.
- China blasts meddling as US signs new Taiwan support law Press TV 27 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has signed a congressional bill into law that entails greater American support for Taiwan at a global level, amid Beijing's long-time criticism of Washington not to interfere in Chinese internal affairs and to recognize its sovereignty over the breakaway island.
- Hong Kong Arrests Pro-Democracy Politician Under Colonial Sedition Law Radio Free Asia 27 Mar 2020 -- Concerns are growing in Hong Kong after the arrest of a pro-democracy district council member that the government may not need to enact controversial new laws to accuse people of sedition and subversion.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list