Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Raises COVID-19 Concerns As It Reopens Tibetan Tourist Sites Radio Free Asia 23 Mar 2020 -- Chinese authorities in the Kardze (in Chinese, Ganzi) Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in Sichuan province are reopening tourist sites, causing local Tibetans to worry about a second wave of COVID-19 coming into the region amid the ongoing pandemic with a decision activist say is premature.
- China's President Feeling The Pressure From Dissent in Own Party Radio Free Asia 23 Mar 2020 -- President Xi Jinping is under growing political pressure from within the ranks of the ruling Chinese Communist Party over his handling of the coronavirus crisis.
- China Confronts Next Coronavirus Challenge: Restarting Its Economy VOA 23 Mar 2020 -- The number of coronavirus infections was still surging and the peak was yet to come. That was when China made a seemingly inconceivable call in early February: Everyone should go back to work.
- Chinese Virus Aid to Europe Raises Long-Term Concerns VOA 23 Mar 2020 -- Planeloads of Chinese medical supplies, doctors and quarantine specialists have begun landing in European capitals on an almost daily basis, prompting some analysts to worry the humanitarian effort will ultimately give Beijing greater economic and political leverage over the European Union.
- Loopholes may lead to China's 2nd wave of viral outbreaks Global Times 23 Mar 2020 -- Loopholes in screening processes at customs and inadequate quarantine measures upon entry into Chinese cities as well as a high proportion of asymptomatic cases are making a second wave of novel coronavirus outbreak highly likely, even inevitable, as the global pandemic continues to worsen.
- Beijing reports 15 imported COVID-19 cases in 12 hrs Global Times 23 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported 15 newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries from 0:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon Monday, according to the municipal health commission.
- No evidence so far indicating relapsing COVID-19 patients are infectious: Hubei health authority Global Times 23 Mar 2020 -- Health officials from hard-hit Hubei Province have said that people who retest positive from coronavirus after they have been cured and discharged from hospital will not be recorded as confirmed cases, and that the authorities haven't seen people-to-people transmission from those patients.
- Chinese customs toughen measures to prevent imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- China has taken targeted measures to curb the mounting risk posed by imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the General Administration of Customs (GAC) said Monday.
- Beijing reports 15 imported COVID-19 cases in 12 hrs People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported 15 newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries from 0:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon Monday, according to the municipal health commission.
- Shanghai lowers coronavirus response level People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- Shanghai announced downgrading of its emergency response to the novel coronavirus outbreak from level I to level II starting Tuesday.
- China's Wuhan reports zero increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Sunday in Wuhan, marking the fifth day in a row of zero report as the former hardest-hit city recovers from the epidemic.
- Downtown Wuhan remains high-risk area for coronavirus People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- The downtown of Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, remains a high-risk area for coronavirus, showed an evaluation by the provincial government on Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 39 newly imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 39 newly imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 353, according to the National Health Commission Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports zero increase in indigenous COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- No new domestically transmitted cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported on the Chinese mainland on Sunday, the Chinese health authority said Monday.
- China sees drop in new coronavirus cases; all of them imported SPA 23 Mar 2020 -- China on Monday reported a drop in its daily tally of new coronavirus cases, reversing four straight days of increases, as the capital, Beijing, ramped up measures to contain the number of infections arriving from abroad, Reuters reported.
- HK extends travel ban to all non-locals amid pandemic Global Times 23 Mar 2020 -- Hong Kong will ban all non-local residents from entering the city through flights and suspend transit services at the airport starting Wednesday, Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced on Monday, a move which analysts believe is the "strictest-ever" measure to deal with the mounting pressure of COVID-19 in the city as an international hub with a prosperous service sector.
- Hong Kong to ban entry of tourists from overseas to prevent imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will ban the entry of all non-Hong Kong residents arriving from overseas by flights starting from Wednesday to prevent imported COVID-19 cases, HKSAR Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced on Monday.
- Hong Kong reports 44 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 317 in total People's Daily 23 Mar 2020 -- Hong Kong's Centre for Health Protection (CHP) reported on Sunday afternoon 44 additional COVID-19 cases confirmed during the past 24 hours, taking the total number of confirmed cases in Hong Kong to 317.
- Hong Kong Closes Airport to International Tourists, Transit Passengers Radio Free Asia 23 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong said on Monday they would close the city's airport arrivals to non-residents amid a surge in coronavirus cases in the city, where new infections had previously been slowed by containment measures.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list