Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang's Regular Press Conference on March 17, 2020 PRC MofA 17 Mar 2020
- Trust in Hong Kong's Press Freedom Falls to Lowest Point Since 2002 Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2020 -- Public trust in Hong Kong's press freedom is at its lowest point since 2002, following months of anti-government protests and failing trust in the city government and the ruling Chinese Communist Party, a recent opinion poll has found.
- Beijing Hits Back After Trump Tweets About 'The Chinese Virus' Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2020 -- Washington and Beijing escalated their war of words over the origin of the COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday, with China voicing "strong anger" after repeated comments by U.S. President Donald Trump referring to the pathogen as "the Chinese virus."
- China Gives U.S. Journalists 10 Days to Hand in Press Credentials Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party on Tuesday hit back at recent measures against its state-run media in the United States by revoking the press credentials of journalists based in China, including Hong Kong and Macau.
- Chinese FM slams Trump for using term 'Chinese Virus' on Twitter Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry slammed a tweet by US President Donald Trump in which he used the term "Chinese Virus" amid a surge in infections in the US, which provoked a huge backlash by netizens around the world.
- Chinese FM slams Trump for using term 'Chinese Virus' on Twitter Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Warplanes of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly conducted rare nighttime exercises near the island of Taiwan on Monday, and mainland analysts on Tuesday predicted that similar drills will become more frequent if Taiwan secessionist forces remain stubborn and continue their secessionist activities.
- Schools in Tibet to Reopen as COVID-19 Fears Subside Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2020 -- Schools in the Tibet Autonomous Region will reopen after shutting down at the beginning of the month to stop the spread of COVID-19, authorities and sources in the region said.
- Beijing fumes at US attempt to link coronavirus to China Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- China has harshly hit back at US President Donald Trump over a tweet in which he referred to the new coronovirus as the "Chinese Virus," condemning it as stigmatization.
- Wuhan eyes no new infections by the end of this week Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan reported only one new case of coronavirus as of Monday after seeing six consecutive days of single-digit new cases, with top Chinese epidemiologists expecting the new infections in the city to be cleared around the end of the week.
- Coronavirus may be transmissible via ocular conjunctival route: Chinese researchers Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Animal tests made by Chinese researchers show the novel coronavirus can likely be transmitted via the ocular conjunctival route. Tears and other eye secretions that carry the virus can enter respiratory tissues internally through the nasolacrimal duct, or can pass to the digestive system after being swallowed, it was found.
- Chinese expert team delivers medical aid to Iraq to fight COVID-19 Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- A Chinese expert team on Monday delivered medical aid to Iraq as part of China's efforts to increase Iraq's capabilities of combating the spread of COVID-19, or novel coronavirus.
- Beijing's SARS hospital opens to tackle imported COVID-19 risks Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Beijing announced the launch of Xiaotangshan Hospital on Monday. The facility, once designated to treat SARS patients in 2003, will be used to screen international visitors and returned nationals, to treat mild coronavirus cases and quarantine suspected cases.
- Hong Kong to quarantine all arrivals from outside starting Thursday: chief executive Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday that Hong Kong will quarantine for 14 days all arriving passengers from outside the region starting from Thursday to curb the spread of the COVID-19.
- Xi says China to send more medical experts to Italy People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China will send more medical experts to Italy and do its best to provide medical supplies and other assistance, Chinese President Xi Jinping said in a phone conversation with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Monday evening.
- Macao orders entry ban for non-residents People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- All non-residents, with the exception of residents from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) and China's Taiwan region, and work permit holders, will be barred from entering Macao starting from midnight of March 18, the Macao SAR's Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng announced Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 9 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported a total of nine newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries Monday, the Beijing Municipal Health Commission said Tuesday morning.
- Daily COVID-19 updates on March 17 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Countries around the world were stepping up efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic amid a rising caseload in the past 24 hours, with the tally of cases and deaths outside China exceeding that inside China.
- Shanghai reports a total of 20 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Shanghai reported three new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Monday, all of which were imported, the local health authority said Tuesday.
- Hong Kong to quarantine all people from outside starting from Thursday People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will quarantine for 14 days all people entering from outside starting midnight Thursday to prevent the spread of the COVID-19, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Tuesday.
- 930 recovered COVID-19 patients discharged on Chinese mainland People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- A total of 930 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital Monday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- China's Hubei reports 1 newly confirmed case of COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported one new confirmed case of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 12 deaths Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China mulls contingency plans for public health emergencies on passenger liners People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China's transport regulator said Monday that it will roll out contingency plans targeting public health emergencies on large passenger liners to fuel the healthy development of the country's cruise industry.
- China province tightens quarantine to reduce infection from overseas People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- East China's Anhui Province has tightened quarantine rules for people traveling from abroad in a bid to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- China Objects to Trump's 'Chinese Virus' Tweet VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- China expressed its strong opposition Tuesday to U.S. President Donald Trump using the term "Chinese virus" to refer to the novel coronavirus that has spread to more than 150 countries around the world.
- Long March-3A rocket series send 58 Beidou satellites into orbits PLA Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- The 54th navigation satellite of the BeiDou system was successfully launched at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center a few days ago, which means that the completion of BeiDou global navigation network is only one step away. The series of Long March 3A(LM-3A) rockets are indispensable for each launch mission of the Beidou project and thus known as the "BeiDou Express". This time, the LM-3A rockets also set a new launch record again.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list