Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang's Regular Press Conference on March 11, 2020 PRC MofA 11 Mar 2020
- Chinese Evade Social Media Censors to Repost Doctor's Banned Virus Essay Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2020 -- Chinese social media users are scrambling to reproduce and repost a banned article by a doctor on the front line of the coronavirus epidemic in the central city of Wuhan after it was deleted by ruling Chinese Communist Party censors.
- Chinese forces expel US warship in Xisha Islands of S.China Sea Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Tuesday expelled a US warship that trespassed into Chinese territorial waters in the Xisha Islands of the South China Sea, while experts said Wednesday that recent US naval activities in the South China Sea are a sign that the US is losing control in the region and wants to flex its muscles to gain influence in the region.
- Chinese military slams US provocative acts in South China Sea PLA Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- A US guided-missile destroyer USS McCampbell trespassed into Chinese territorial waters off the Xisha Islands without permission on Tuesday. In response, the Southern Theater Command (STC) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) organized naval and air forces to track, verify, identify, and warn the ship away, Senior Colonel Li Huamin, spokesperson for the PLA STC, said in a statement on Wednesday.
- U.S. Berates Iran, China's Treatment Of Uyghurs In Latest Human Rights Report RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- The United States has singled out Iran, China, Venezuela, and Cuba for their gross abuses in its yearly report on human rights practices that covers 199 countries and territories.
- US Calls Out Iran, China and Venezuela on Human Rights Abuses VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- The United States is accusing authoritarian governments around the world of suppressing people with severe human rights "violations and abuses" to control any activities that might threaten their power.
- WHO Declares Coronavirus Pandemic As Russia Cancels More Flights To Europe RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- Russia is canceling flights to many European destinations due to fears of the new coronavirus spreading as the World Health Organization (WHO) designates the outbreak a pandemic.
- WHO Declares Coronavirus Outbreak a Pandemic Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- According to the WHO Director-General, the number of cases outside China has increased 13-fold in the past two weeks.
- Coronavirus: Pandemic alert should be trigger for countries to do more against COVID-19 UN News 11 Mar 2020 -- Countries must "double-down" on their efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, the UN health agency said on Wednesday, after announcing that the global emergency can now be described as a pandemic.
- Experts urge more screening Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported six imported COVID-19 cases, including the first from the US, on Wednesday, which prompted experts and residents to urge stricter screening and management of people arriving from the US as the country seems lax in epidemic control and management.
- Beijing sets up transfer center for arrivals from overseas Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing has set up a 24/7 transfer center in suburban Shunyi district for people arriving from overseas to arrange quarantine and health management work as the capital city faces mounting pressure from imported cases.
- China to continue sharing experience, medical resources in COVID-19 fight: FM Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry says that with China's successful experience in containing the coronavirus, it is willing to make contributions to the global battle against COVID-19 while making unceasing efforts to tame the epidemic domestically.
- Beijing requires quarantine for all people entering from overseas Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing on Wednesday further tightened its prevention and control measures for foreigners as more imported novel coronavirus cases arrived in the city.
- Hubei city resumes lockdown measures 7 hours after easing restraints in coronavirus battle Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in Qianjiang city, Hubei Province retracted their decision made one day earlier to lift transport restrictions amid the battle against the COVID-19 infection and resumed draconian lockdown on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland excluding Hubei reports 11 new COVID-19 cases, all but one imported People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 11 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Tuesday outside Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, down from 890 on Feb. 3, according to the National Health Commission Wednesday.
- Beijing reports six imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported six new imported cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Tuesday, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- 24 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection reported on Chinese mainland People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday it received reports of 24 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 22 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday.
- 1,578 recovered COVID-19 patients discharged on Chinese mainland People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- A total of 1,578 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital after recovery Tuesday on the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- COVID-19: China reports new infections; Turkey, Bolivia confirm 1st cases Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- China has reported an increase in its new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, reversing four consecutive days of decreases, and more countries are reporting their first infections.
- China tests Mars probe for 2020 Mars mission PLA Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- The Beijing Aerospace Control Center announced on Tuesday that China completed a probe test ahead of an exploration mission to Mars this year.
- Chinese military to procure suicide drones Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese military is procuring two types of loitering munitions, also known as suicide drones, a genre of weapon that can offer a wide variety of new tactics to the troops, analysts said on Wednesday.
- PLA Army to host "Crossing Obstacles 2020" land-based unmanned system competition PLA Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- The Armament Department of the Chinese PLA Army will host "Crossing Obstacles 2020" land-based unmanned system competition between the coming September and October, in a bid to further promote the innovation and development of the PLA Army's unmanned system equipment.
- Hongkongers Converge on Washington to Call For Sanctions Against Police, Leaders Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2020 -- Pro-democracy lawmakers from Hong Kong are lobbying the U.S. government to impose sanctions on senior officials in the city over police violence and human rights violations during last year's protests.
- 'China out of darkest moment' Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- While the threat of a pandemic has become real as the world meltdown caused by the coronavirus is accelerating, with spikes in confirmed cases and a surging death toll, China, the first country entangled in the unprecedented public health crisis, is gradually ascending from the darkest moment two months later following all-out efforts and strong collective will.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list