Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- American Professor Pleads Guilty in Connection with China Work VOA 10 Mar 2020 -- A former West Virginia University physics professor has pleaded guilty to a fraud charge in connection with his work for one of China's premier foreign talent recruitment programs, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.
- Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons US Dept. of State 10 Mar 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, China, France, Russia and the United Kingdom on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the NPT.
- China to launch 2nd amphibious assault ship soon: reports Global Times 10 Mar 2020 -- China is reportedly set to launch its second Type 075 amphibious assault ship soon following the launch of the first one in September, leading analysts to say that China has grasped related shipbuilding technologies. The development of aircraft to be used on the ships is also progressing smoothly, they said.
- Beijing strengthens epidemic control measures among migrant workers to shield the capital Global Times 10 Mar 2020 -- As China's capital, Beijing has strengthened preventative measures for migrant workers living in the city's "urban villages" to control the spread of COVID-19. The city has been given the highest priority after Wuhan in containing the virus.
- Closure of all Wuhan's makeshift hospitals indicates another stage in victory against COVID-19 Global Times 10 Mar 2020 -- The last Fang Cang makeshift hospital in the epicenter Wuhan, in Central China's Hubei Province, purposely built and designed for COVID-19 treatment, closed on Tuesday afternoon, indicating that all 16 makeshift hospitals built in the city have closed amid surging recoveries, which an expert said reflected a major stage in the victory against the virus.
- COVID-19 spread basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan: Xi Global Times 10 Mar 2020 -- The spread of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has been basically curbed in Hubei Province and its capital city Wuhan, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Tuesday while inspecting epidemic prevention and control work in the city.
- 70 pct of COVID-19 infections in China has recovered: WHO Global Times 10 Mar 2020 -- Of the around 80,000 reported cases of COVID-19 in China, more than 70 percent have recovered and been discharged, the chief of World Health Organization (WHO) said here Monday.
- Hubei relaxes personnel control as the number of COVID-19 cases drops People's Daily 10 Mar 2020 -- Hubei Province, the center of the novel coronavirus outbreak in central China, announced Tuesday it will adopt a differentiated personnel control policy, allowing healthy people from medium- and low-risk areas to travel within the province.
- Hong Kong considers more entry restrictions amid spreading COVID-19 worldwide People's Daily 10 Mar 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that Hong Kong considers imposing further restrictions on inbound travelers amid the spreading COVID-19 worldwide.
- China's Hubei reports 17 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 10 Mar 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak in China, reported 17 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 17 deaths on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China will win battle against coronavirus: President Xi Press TV 10 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says China should keep strong and it will win the battle against the new coronavirus, which has plagued many countries and has killed thousands of people so far.
- Corona updates: China's president visits hotspot, in signal that worst of outbreak over Press TV 10 Mar 2020 -- China's President Xi Jinping has visited the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the country, amid a drop in the number of infections and deaths and in a sign that the worst of the epidemic may be over in the country.
- Coronavirus in China: No new local cases out of Hubei for 3rd day Press TV 10 Mar 2020 -- China has confirmed 17 new coronavirus deaths, the lowest since January, raising the total number of fatalities in the country to 3,136.
- Wuhan Residents 'Under Armed Guard' During President's Visit to City Radio Free Asia 10 Mar 2020 -- Chinese president Xi Jinping on Tuesday visited the virus-hit city of Wuhan to proclaim victory in the fight against the epidemic, as dissent continued to simmer among residents and commentators.
- U.S. Companies Must Stop Buying Goods Made By Forced Uyghur Laborers, Senator Says RFE/RL 10 Mar 2020 -- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee's top Democratic member has called on the Commerce Department to stop U.S. companies from buying goods made by forced Uyghur laborers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list