Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 March 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese troops participate in HADR drill of Exercise Cobra Gold 2020 PLA Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- The humanitarian assistance disaster relief field training exercise (HADR FTX) as part of Exercise Cobra Gold 2020 was held at the national disaster relief training center in Chachoengsao Province, Thailand from March 1 to 4, 2020. Over 200 troops from seven countries including China, Thailand and the US participated in the drill.
- Tibetan Students Now Taught Mainly in Chinese: Report Radio Free Asia 05 Mar 2020 -- A growing emphasis on Chinese-language schooling in Tibet, though facilitating greater participation in China's modern economy, is slowly destroying the cultural identity of Tibetan schoolchildren, according to a report released on Thursday by Human Rights Watch.
- Xi Postpones Japan Visit Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is postponing a visit to Japan scheduled for next month as both countries deal with the outbreak of a new coronavirus that has infected 95,000 people in more than 75 countries.
- Epidemic fight in new stage People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- A key Party meeting on Wednesday presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, stressed the need to unleash consumer demand that has been restrained during the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak and continuing to expand opening-up.
- World awaits vaccine progress People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- As the deadly virus has been continuing spreading worldwide and causing more than 12,000 infections outside China, scientists from different countries are racing against time to develop vaccines and effective therapies to control the virus spread and prevent it from becoming a pandemic. At this critical time, cooperation rather than competition between countries that are hit hard by the virus is ever more important for finding a way out, analysts said.
- China's Hubei reports 134 new confirmed coronavirus cases People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 134 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 31 deaths on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Makeshift hospitals suspend discharges amid recovered patients testing positive Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Makeshift hospitals in Wuhan, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, have decided to suspend the discharge of patients, after some recovered cases tested positive again for COVID-19.
- Zhejiang hit by imported COVID-19 cases from Italy Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Among 20 imported cases of COVID-19 in China as of Thursday, East China's Zhejiang Province has reported 10, all from Italy which saw the biggest outbreak in Europe. This has prompted local authorities to mobilize special teams and share big data to track every one of them down to prevent further infection domestically as some may lie about their illness.
- Wuhan hospital to enhance checks after discharged patients retest positive Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- A makeshift hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, has decided to carry out additional virus antibody checks on patients who are about to be discharged, after some recovered cases tested positive again for COVID-19.
- 20 imported confirmed cases in China, mainly from Italy Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- East China's Zhejiang reported two new confirmed imported cases of COVID19 from Italy, bringing the total number of imported confirmed cases to 20 nationwide, the national health authority said on Thursday.
- China honors commitment to global anti-coronavirus cooperation: FM spokesperson Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- China honored its commitment to international cooperation in the fight against novel coronavirus in an open, transparent and responsible manner, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Wednesday.
- Carrie Lam says Hong Kong can win battle against COVID-19 Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Carrie Lam said Wednesday that she is confident that Hong Kong can win the battle against the COVID-19.
- First dog coronavirus suspect confirmed in Hong Kong Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- A virologist has suggested that dogs might get a different strain of coronavirus than human beings, after the world's first case of a pet dog testing positive was reported in Hong Kong.
- China, a Non-Arctic Nation, Meddling in Arctic, Says DOD Official DoD News 05 Mar 2020 -- U.S. competition with Russia and China is manifesting itself globally, including in the Arctic, said a Defense Department official.
- Upgraded Type 053H3 frigate joins real combat scenario exercise Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- With a new anti-aircraft missile system and a new type of close-in weapon system, an upgraded Type 053H3 frigate participated in a recent naval exercise, and analysts expect it to become a powerful addition to China's offshore defense force.
- China's Bid For WIPO Fails, But Beijing's UN Plan is Still on Track Radio Free Asia 05 Mar 2020 -- Singapore's candidate defeated China's on Thursday to win a leadership contest at the United Nations' World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), as Beijing continues to jockey for control and influence at the U.N.
- Tens of Thousands Call on US to Take up Case of Wuhan Reporters Radio Free Asia 05 Mar 2020 -- A petition calling on Washington to take up the case of coronavirus reporter Chen Qiushi, who is being held by the authorities in enforced "quarantine" after he reported from the front line of the COVID-19 epidemic, has garnered tens of thousands of signatures since it was posted last month.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list