Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- People's Liberation Army Navy lased a U.S. Navy P-8A in unsafe, unprofessional manner NNS 28 Feb 2020 -- A U.S. Navy P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft was lased by People's Republic of China (PRC) navy destroyer 161 on Feb. 17 while flying in airspace above international waters approximately 380 miles west of Guam.
- Chinese Navy Fires Laser at US Aircraft VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The United States Navy says that a Chinese Navy destroyer targeted a U.S. patrol aircraft with a laser last week while it was flying over the Philippine Sea, about 600 kilometers west of Guam.
- US says Chinese warship fired laser at American spy plane Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- The US military says a Chinese Navy ship fired a laser at an American surveillance aircraft flying over the Philippine Sea in international airspace, reporting the alleged incident more than a week after it happened.
- China Vessels Impede Energy Exploration by Malaysia as Vietnam Looks on Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2020 -- After a prolonged stand-off with Vietnam, Chinese vessels are again monitoring and harassing energy exploration efforts by another claimant country in the disputed South China Sea, according to a report by a Washington-based think tank. This time it is Malaysia that's on the receiving end.
- Single-digit new COVID-19 cases reported outside Hubei People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday outside Hubei Province, epicenter of the outbreak, according to the National Health Commission.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 10th day People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients on the Chinese mainland has surpassed that of new infections for the tenth consecutive day, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 36,117 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- A total of 36,117 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Thursday, Chinese health authority said Friday.
- China reports 327 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 44 new deaths People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday it received reports of 327 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 44 deaths on Thursday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- China's Hubei reports 318 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 318 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 41 new deaths on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- China's Coronavirus Crisis Hits Russian Energy Sector Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2020 -- While China's economy struggles to recover from the coronavirus epidemic, the Russian energy sector is anxiously awaiting the results.
- China rolls out measures to stabilize employment amid outbreak People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Chinese local governments and relevant departments are rolling out measures to stabilize employment and help companies resume production amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Chinese warplanes fly near southwestern Taiwan: MND CNA 28 Feb 2020 -- Chinese warplanes flew in the skies southwest of Taiwan Friday afternoon and the move has been monitored closely by the country's military, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- PLA conducts largest ever procurement of individual protective equipment PLA Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- An open tender document released by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) online showed that the Chinese military will purchase more than 1.5 million units of high-grade bulletproof plates for body armors in the coming two years as PLA's new-generation individual gear, reported Global Times recently. The program is expected to cost RMB13 billion, or USD1.85 billion, the largest individual gear procurement in the nation's history.
- Three military-led hospitals in coronavirus-hit Wuhan increase capacity to 2,900 beds PLA Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Three designated hospitals where military medics are tasked with treating patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, have increased their total capacity to around 2,900 beds.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Media Tycoon Jimmy Lai Over 'Illegal' August Protest Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong on Friday arrested pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai for attending a pro-democracy rally last August, as the anti-extradition movement broadened into a broad-based movement against growing political interference from Beijing and for fully democratic elections.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list