Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Cost of China-built Railway Haunts Kenya VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- Kenya this week is celebrating 1,000 days of standard gauge railway (SGR) operation, with 13,000 trains covering 6.3 million kilometers. The Chinese-built railway moves people and goods from the port of Mombasa to the capital, Nairobi, and also to a small town in Naivasha.
- Iran preparing to mass-produce coronavirus testing kits: Rouhani Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the coronavirus testing kits developed by Iranian experts are undergoing final tests and will enter the mass-production stage in the near future.
- Iran sets restriction on tourism hotspots to control coronavirus IRNA 26 Feb 2020 -- Iran prohibited entrances of tourists to desert areas until further notice in order to contribute to the country's efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.
- Coronavirus death toll mounts to 19 in Iran IRNA 26 Feb 2020 -- Coronavirus death toll mounted to 19 in Iran, Iranian Health Ministry said on Tuesday, adding that a total of 139 people have been affected by coronavirus in Iran.
- All confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Vietnam cured, anti-epidemic measures strengthened People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- Vietnam's Ministry of Health on Wednesday announced that all the 16 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country had been cured and discharged from hospitals.
- Uyghur Former Detainee of Xinjiang Internment Camp Denied Treatment Amid Coronavirus Quarantine Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- A Uyghur former detainee of an internment camp in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) has been unable to get treatment for a serious medical issue because breaking an ongoing quarantine for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) could see him sent back to the camps, officials said.
- Police Focus on 'Political Stability' as Wuhan Nurses Appeal For International Help Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- Two nurses working at the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic -- the central Chinese city of Wuhan -- have made a global appeal for assistance on the website of the medical journal, The Lancet.
- COVID-19: More new virus cases outside China than in, 'no time for complacency', says UN health agency UN News 26 Feb 2020 -- The number of new COVID-19, or coronavirus, infections outside China has outpaced those inside the country for the first time, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Coronavirus outbreak continues in China, fears rise of pandemic Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- China has reported new deaths and cases of coronavirus infections, amid fears that the viral outbreak is looking increasingly like a global pandemic.
- Chinese naval fleet wraps up far sea exercise deep in Pacific Ocean Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- A far sea joint training fleet of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy returned to base after sailing 14,000 nautical miles and crossing the International Date Line deep into the Pacific Ocean for the first time, a move that challenges US hegemony in the open waters and will become increasingly frequent in the future, experts said on Wednesday.
- US sanction on Chinese firms rebuked as 'long-arm jurisdiction' Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- The manager of a high-tech Chinese company sanctioned by the US for "helping" Iran's missile program denied on Wednesday that his company sells products to Iranian entities while Chinese observers believed that the US latest move shows Washington has never restrained from bullying practices as it imposed"long-arm jurisdiction"to sanction Chinese firms and exercised hegemonism as China is fighting arduously against the COVID-19 outbreak.
- China's rocket-carrying ships back from missions PLA Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- Two Chinese rocket-carrying ships returned to the port of China Satellite Maritime Tracking and Controlling Department Wednesday after missions of transporting the Long March rockets. The Yuanwang-21 set out on Dec. 30, 2019, and completed a maritime transport of the Long March-7A rocket, a new generation of China's medium-sized high-orbit rocket.
- Hong Kong Hands Out Billions to Police Force in Wake of Protests Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- Hong Kong's government on Wednesday announced a huge financial boost to the city's police force, which has faced widespread criticism for violence against protesters and abuse of power in recent months.
- China Enterprises Deal with Confidence Crash Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus outbreak will likely take a bigger-than-expected toll on China's economy this quarter as the latest business conditions index, compiled by the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business (CKGSB) since 2012, dropped to a historic low in February.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 8th day Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new infections for the eighth consecutive day, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China has changed course of COVID-19 outbreak through pragmatic approach: WHO expert Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- China has changed the course of COVID-19 outbreak, Bruce Aylward, an epidemiologist who led an advance team from the World Health Organization (WHO), said here on Tuesday, noting a rapidly escalating outbreak in China has plateaued and come down faster than previously expected.
- China to provide support to countries with weaker health systems: FM spokesperson People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- China will provide support within its capacity to countries with weaker health systems to help them strengthen their epidemic prevention and control capabilities, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list