Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Cities tighten measures against import virus spread Global Times 25 Feb 2020 -- Several Chinese cities raised their alert and implemented strict entry measures on Tuesday by asking all foreign visitors to undergo quarantine amid rising fears of the fast-spreading outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Japan and South Korea, aiming to prevent overseas cases of infection.
- Wuhan remains locked up amid 'strictest-ever' measures Global Times 25 Feb 2020 -- Despite positive signs, China's health authorities announced Tuesday that epidemic prevention and control of COVID-19 in the epicenter Wuhan will continue the "strictest-ever" measures, while top officials of Hubei Province warned that the complex epidemic situation required that related authorities should be cautious rather than trust in luck.
- Hong Kong schools not to resume classes before April 20 due to COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- Schools in Hong Kong will remain closed until April 20 at the earliest due to the ongoing outbreak of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the education secretary of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Tuesday.
- Officials in China's Wuhan Deny Reports of Elderly Care Home Fever Deaths Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus has claimed the lives of elderly care home residents in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, with outbreaks likely in other similar facilities, local media reported, amid strenuous denials from local government officials.
- Y-20 aircraft tanker's variant to debut soon, AEW variant to follow: Air Force officer Global Times 25 Feb 2020 -- China's long-expected aerial tanker variant of the domestically developed Y-20 large transport aircraft will make its debut to the general public soon, and an aerial early warning (AEW) variant is also under development, making the Y-20 and its variants the pillars of the Chinese Air Force's strategic capabilities.
- Military tightens civilian regulations PLA Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- The Central Military Commission, China's top military authority, recently published a document tightening rules governing the connections military personnel have with nonmilitary organizations and civilians.
- China Jails Hong Kong-based Swedish Bookseller For 10 Years on Spying Charge Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2020 -- A court in the eastern Chinese city of Ningbo on Tuesday handed down a 10-year jail term to former Hong Kong bookseller and Swedish national Gui Minhai for "illegally providing intelligence overseas."
- Hong Kong Bookseller Sentencing Sends Chilling Warning to China Dissidents VOA 25 Feb 2020 -- Rights groups in Hong Kong and abroad Tuesday denounced a Chinese court's verdict to sentence former Hong Kong bookseller Gui Minhai to 10 years in prison on charges of "illegally providing intelligence to foreign entities."
- Two sessions put on hold amid outbreak PLA Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- China's top legislative and political advisory bodies have decided to postpone this year's two sessions, which customarily begin in early March, as the nation focuses on fighting the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak.
- WHO calls China's antivirus effort 'aggressive, agile' People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- While the substantial recent slowdown in the spread of novel coronavirus in China is real, and it is now reasonable to restore work activities step by step, health experts warned that risks abound of the virus flaring up again and they cautioned against complacency, the WHO-China Joint Mission on COVID-19 said at a news conference after its one-week field investigations in China.
- COVID-19 has pandemic potential, but "not yet" there: WHO chief People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- The chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday that although COVID-19 has the potential to become a global pandemic, it has yet to be there based upon WHO assessment.
- China reports 508 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 71 new deaths People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday it received reports of 508 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 71 deaths on Monday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 27,323 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- A total of 27,323 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Monday, Chinese health authority said Tuesday.
- New COVID-19 cases drop to 9 outside Hubei People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- China's daily new confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside Hubei Province, epicenter of the outbreak, dropped to nine on Monday, according to the National Health Commission.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 7th consecutive day People's Daily 25 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new infections for the seventh consecutive day, according to the National Health Commission Tuesday.
- Hubei prison officials punished after #COVID19 outbreak confirmed Global Times 25 Feb 2020 -- More than 20 prisons officials in Central China's Hubei Province have received severe punishments after more than 300 COVID19 infection cases were confirmed in the province's prisons.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list